What's new

My take on Martin de Candre that was Christmas gift

I was the lucky recipient of a jar of Martin de Candre for Christmas.:biggrin1: I thought to myself that after several years of wet shaving, I'd finally reached the pinnacle of the shave experience. After the first shave I was sure. Martin de Candre is unlike any shave soap I have ever used. My normal rotation includes original Shulton Old Spice and MWF and the MdC puts them both to shame IMHO, YMMV. This morning I decided to try a llittle experiment. I soaked my brush, shook it a few times and made 3 circles on the MdC. That's right, only 3 swipes. Before face lathering I looked at what little soap was on my brush and thought to myself that no way would that be enough to work up a good lather. To my amazement those three little swipes were enough to produce mounds of thick lather. Enough for 3 or four passes, maybe 5. Simply amazing. I'm 62 years old now and I can't imagine being able to finish this jar in a normal rotation before I die of old age! To those that doubt its worth, believe me, it's worth every penny. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got the "brain bowl" of it for Christmas. It really is fantastic, but I haven't tried loading with only three swirls on the brush yet. I've been giving it a good 15 seconds, about half of what I load everything else for.

$P1020331.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I do love my Martin de Candre and this fantastic soap has a life-time spot in my rotation for sure.

Now you tell me!? :001_cool: I was in Paris on the weekend catching up with friends but sadly didn't have a chance to grab any of this highly-praised soap. A pity that the shipping costs are so outrageous...... I may just have to go back to Paris.

I got the "brain bowl" of it for Christmas. It really is fantastic, but I haven't tried loading with only three swirls on the brush yet. I've been giving it a good 15 seconds, about half of what I load everything else for.

that's what i do. normally about about 30 with soaps, hard creams. but with MdC, i do a 15sec application time and get enough for my 3 passes.

i've tried the 3-5 sec app time, it just doesn't work for me. i'd rather enjoy some nice, thick and slick lather, then trying to make it last forever anyways.

Congrats on the MdC, it's a great soap that truly is easy to lather.

Now you tell me!? :001_cool: I was in Paris on the weekend catching up with friends but sadly didn't have a chance to grab any of this highly-praised soap. A pity that the shipping costs are so outrageous...... I may just have to go back to Paris.

shipping is about $20, which is about the same as what I have to pay T&H to ship a small brush to me from US to CAD, so I have no issues with paying that from overseas to me, tracked, insured and at my door in less then 10 days.

if you don't want to pay the shipping, just drop some major hints when it's gift giving time and have someone else pay for it :thumbup:

PS...that jar of brains is fantastic. i will not need to reorder in years, but that would be the one i get next. it's awesome looking

Congrats on a great Christmas present. Those of us that have been using Martin de Candre shaving soap for a long time just nod and smile as we all know the feeling of using a really great soap. Like Brucered said, the shipping cost don't make it prohibitive for me as I often pay more than 20 bucks just to have green beans shipped here from Toronto. One think for sure. at a '3 swirl' load you will have many years of shaving from that jar!

3 swipes for 5 passes? They must have added extra unicorn horn to the new batches.

Who told you! Off with their heads!:biggrin1:

I've managed to do an 5 sec load but the lather is rather lacking on the SECOND pass. On the third pass while you get "lather" it lacks from any of the phenomenal qualities of this soap. Might as well be ivory. Couple "cheats" were involved one being using an extremely hot well broken in silver tip. Two, mashing (I know not good for the brush) the brush down in the MDC to get maximum surface area.
Three, putting a drop of hottest tap water on the MDC to soften it up. Now you can do the mythical one hair swirl 27 pass shave.
It's a great soap. Fights for #1 spot with SMN for me
Is it wrong that it's next to my Proraso? I laugh as a $70 jar sits next to a $10 tub. Both are in my rotation.

Top Bottom