What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

You can shave with or without the guard. Some guards face into the blade. Those can't be used for shaving. You have the correct guard for shaving.

I'll hop in on this thrread. A couple years ago I bought a Weck Sex-to-Blade for travel purposes. I've tried the Fromm hair shaper for shaving and it worked but something about the Weck just seemed like a good idea. Like it called to me in the antique shop saying "Try me you won't regret it." You know what I didn't and I still keep that thing in my travel kit. It sent me on a journey of antique disposable straights that has culminated in my most recent acquisition disorder. (That is a soon to be new post.) That being said, I totally agree that the Weck Sex-to-Blade is a very close approximation of a straight and compared to the other I tried, a Magic type razor, is one of my favorites by far. I've used the Weck with and with out the guard and found the guard would have been a great tool to learn how to get your angle. I'm already a straight razor devotee, I just like playing with different styles and varieties. The Wecks are well balanced shavers that are great for the beginner or experienced straight shaver to use as a travel razor. I love mine.

Great review, thanks for adding to the thread. The Wecks are severely underrated, I'm hoping this thread will change that.

Thanks so much to TheVez2 for starting the passaround. I was the first recipient, and have been using it almost exclusively for the last week.

Unfortunately I've never used a shavette before, so I'm bound to compare the Weck to a regular straight razor and my Feather DX. I'm happy to say that it shaves comparably to the latter, although feather blades are tough to beat on any level, Fromm blades come pretty close. I got consistently close shaves that were missing a bit of the burn that come with my Feathers. Even after a week, though, I haven't gotten used to the weight of the Weck. From what I've heard I think most people will find it to be a nice balance between a regular straight and a shavette-- unfortunately I can't shed any light on that area, I like heavier straights so using the Weck it was easy for me to avoid irritation and razor burn. Given more time I would see how it handles being stropped with and without paste to extend blade life, but that will have to wait until I pick one up for myself.

It was a really fun experience to use and thanks again to TheVez2. After using it I'm a bit shocked that it isn't recommended more often for those looking to try a straight razor without the maintenance or the hefty cost of the Feather line, but want something a bit more "sturdy" than a shavette. It "feels" like a straight, and even has a thumb notch like some of mine do. It's really the perfect transition razor for DE users who want to try a straight.

I'll be getting the Weck in the mail this week so it's on its' way to the next guy.

1. duderdo- complete
2. Kentos- up next!
3. TnutsShave
4. ladykate
5. jrward2
6. sychodelix
7. tomjr
8. Alum of Potash

OK... Here is a testament to my obsessive side. I bought a couple of Weck hair shapers and, just as was offered in this thread, they were a bit light weight. They would work well for someone with small hands (maybe) but they were just a bit flimsy for me. I noticed, though, that the holder was similar to the sturdier versions so that got me thinking. I converted one to a non-folder and found I really liked it. It felt very sturdy and gave a great shave (reference all the prior testimonies about the shave - same with this). So... here I was, stuck with several hair shaper versions - I decided to get anal and make something with them - something I would likely use.

$threeweckssmall.jpg

how did you put those on? what did you use. looks awesome

The sandwich ones are three pieces with a slot cut out of the center piece. The solid one is a 1/2" piece of oak with a 3/16" hole hand drilled in the end. For a pattern, you can use a largish set of scales and trace a pattern on a paint stick or something. You can actually use scales that are toast - just cut them off about 3/8" behind the pin holes. For the wood ones like above, you get them in rough shape with the jig saw (a hand/coping saw will work just fine) and then use a belt sander to get them about right. No belt sander? Then use some coarse sandpaper and elbow grease. It doesn't take very long. The blade holders are ground down on a bench grinder until the end will fit the hole/slot. You could also cut them down with a Dremel but it would take a bit longer. Regular five minute epoxy is used to hold them - use it generously - fill the voids - let set for 24 hours and then sand everything again to get off the flashings and junk. A little hand sanding and you are done. I like Tung oil for the finish. Sooooo much easier than whatever is in second place. I've used this technique for Gold Dollar Kamis and for putting handles on Feather ACs that needed them. Works great, lasts forever and only takes a short while to do. I was making one this morning from some burl wood so I snapped these photos. Will have the finished product tomorrow sometime unless honey-do interferes.

$handle1.jpg

$handle2.jpg

Last edited:
The sandwich ones are three pieces with a slot cut out of the center piece. The solid one is a 1/2" piece of oak with a 3/16" hole hand drilled in the end. For a pattern, you can use a largish set of scales and trace a pattern on a paint stick or something. You can actually use scales that are toast - just cut them off about 3/8" behind the pin holes. For the wood ones like above, you get them in rough shape with the jig saw (a hand/coping saw will work just fine) and then use a belt sander to get them about right. No belt sander? Then use some coarse sandpaper and elbow grease. It doesn't take very long. The blade holders are ground down on a bench grinder until the end will fit the hole/slot. You could also cut them down with a Dremel but it would take a bit longer. Regular five minute epoxy is used to hold them - use it generously - fill the voids - let set for 24 hours and then sand everything again to get off the flashings and junk. A little hand sanding and you are done. I like Tung oil for the finish. Sooooo much easier than whatever is in second place. I've used this technique for Gold Dollar Kamis and for putting handles on Feather ACs that needed them. Works great, lasts forever and only takes a short while to do. I was making one this morning from some burl wood so I snapped these photos. Will have the finished product tomorrow sometime unless honey-do interferes.

View attachment 298005

View attachment 298006

I wish this didn't read like a foreign language to me

I suppose I could quote many people, but I won’t.
Anyway...
Anyone know where to get the corn blades ladykate, and the TheVez2 mention? One of the things I like about the Parker, and Bluebeard is that the shorter blade gives better access to tight areas (like between my nose and stash).

EBay, I recently bought two style AA, off of the bay, both less than $10.00, both came with boxes, and the second buy is in almost pristine condition.

As for the shave, awesome! I am a newb. Started out with the Parker, bought a Weck, then a couple of solid blades. I’ve been having a bit of difficulty getting my lower lip clean with the solid, so tonite I got out the Weck with a Fromm blade. First couple of passes were great, then (I swear), I didn’t even touch my lower lip and it cut me!

BTW, being a newb, what is the diff between a weeper, a gash, cutting ones nose off, etc?

Oh, and lastly I have stropped my Weck a time or two, too early to tell if it extends the life, but I don’t see where it wouldn’t.

Regards,
Bil

No idea where to get the corn blades. I'm sure they are not made anymore. Merkur has a corn razor, but the blades are different. I bought the Weck corn razor off eBay and it had one blade in it. Searching eBay is the only advice I can tell you to find actual Weck corn blades.

Every time I read this thread I jump onto ebay and only just stop myself from bidding on one. SWMBO will kill me plus getting the blades seems like it would be difficult and a bit expensive.

Top Bottom