What's new

Does anyone carry a hipfold/hipster/euro wallet (or whatever they are called)

Does anyone use one of these opposed to a traditional bi-fold or tri-fold? I used to have one but it wore out and fell apart (it was just some generic, unbranded one). I cannot seem to find many in any stores to choose from, so I will have to order one online. I was hoping someone could suggest one.

Typically if it is associated with the term "hipster" it falls into the wannabe category for me. That said, i'm not sure what type of wallet you're referring to, and google searches didn't really come up with anything to speak of. Can you provide a picture/example of what you're looking for?

Typically if it is associated with the term "hipster" it falls into the wannabe category for me. That said, i'm not sure what type of wallet you're referring to, and google searches didn't really come up with anything to speak of. Can you provide a picture/example of what you're looking for?

It is not that kind of "hipster". It is essentially just a bi-fold wallet that is taller than it is wide.

Attachments

• $belting-leather-hipster-wallet.jpg
    $belting-leather-hipster-wallet.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 326
Ahh, ok. Yes, I carry a wallet that is taller than wider, however it has a different interior configuration to keep it thinner. While I have a high-end wallet in this configuration, I NEVER carry it. Ever since I found All Ett wallets as a recommendation from folks on this forum about 5-6 years ago, they're all I will carry. You can fit as much or more in it, than in the wallet you show above, yet they're incredibly thin, so they're a joy to have in your pocket.

In full leather (interior and exterior) they're only 2 grams and cost $80

With a leather exterior and Nylon interior, they're only 1.1 grams and cost $35

I bought the leather w/nylon interior, as they didn't have a full leather version when I ordered mine originally. That said, with 5-6 years of daily use, it shows little wear, and will easily last another 5+ years without showing much wear and being entirely presentable. I'd probably go for the full leather (interior and exterior) version, as while the nylon interior is thinner/lighter, it does look a bit cheap. Frankly, I didn't realize they made a full leather version until I pulled the links above for this post just now... I think i'm going to drop the hammer on the full leather version.

Ahh, ok. Yes, I carry a wallet that is taller than wider, however it has a different interior configuration to keep it thinner. While I have a high-end wallet in this configuration, I NEVER carry it. Ever since I found All Ett wallets as a recommendation from folks on this forum about 5-6 years ago, they're all I will carry. You can fit as much or more in it, than in the wallet you show above, yet they're incredibly thin, so they're a joy to have in your pocket.

I bought the leather w/nylon interior, as they didn't have a full leather version when I ordered mine originally. That said, with 5-6 years of daily use, it shows little wear, and will easily last another 5+ years without showing much wear and being entirely presentable. I'd probably go for the full leather (interior and exterior) version, as while the nylon interior is thinner/lighter, it does look a bit cheap. Frankly, I didn't realize they made a full leather version until I pulled the links above for this post just now... I think i'm going to drop the hammer on the full leather version.

Thanks for the suggestions. The photo I added was just the first one I could find, I am not set on any particular configuration.

Don't buy a Saddleback. I have one.
I don't have any money to put in it because I had to buy a gym membership.
I needed to bulk up just to carry the thing around.
Too big and too heavy.

Craftsmanship is excellent though.

Don't buy a Saddleback. I have one.I don't have any money to put in it because I had to buy a gym membership.I needed to bulk up just to carry the thing around.Too big and too heavy.Craftsmanship is excellent though.
+1 - I have one and hate it. Way too thick and heavy, need to put it up on eBay.

I absolutely need a thinner, lighter one as I carry it in my front pocket and am generally wearing straight leg Dockers. So I will cross the Saddleback off the list. The Saddleback looks really great though. Probably more suited for someone wearing jeans who carries it in their back pocket maybe?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have a George Costanza wallet. It started off looking like the one pictured above, but quickly morphed into something that is way too big to be sitting on.

I am very surprised several of you guys carry these. I have only ever seen 2 or 3 available in stores.....

Those Cross wallets look nice. Might be a tad expensive for my tastes though (however, if I were to see on in person, I might cave).

I have a George Costanza wallet. It started off looking like the one pictured above, but quickly morphed into something that is way too big to be sitting on.

Lol....that is funny. I am in my late 20's and just think....Anyone younger than me probably would not have gotten that joke. A wonderful show that should be required viewing as part of high school exit exams so the traditions of Festivus, becoming master of your domain, and Georges wallet live on.......haha.

Matt,

Not necessarily on the topic of hipster wallets - but since we are talking wallets...

I have two wallets that I purchased in order to get rid of my Costanza wallet: the Slimmy - http://www.koyono.com/Slimmy-Slim-Wallet-Alternative-p/m17546.htm, and a Big Skinny - http://www.bigskinny.net/. Both of these are front wallets. I started with the Slimmy which is an amazingly constructed wallet. Slimmy pretty much tells you that you need to slim down your lifestyle and carry just the minimum. I used the wallet for several months and liked it, but I always wished I could carry just a little more in it. Enter the Big Skinny. I purchased the "compact sport" wallet I believe. The downside is nylon, the upside is that I can carry pretty much everything that was in my Costanza wallet with the same thickness as the Slimmy. I've been so happy since I've switched to a front wallet. Tres bien!

Legion

Staff member
The problem with wallets that are taller than they are wide is that they stick out from your back pocket. It is not an issue in cooler weather when you can keep it in a jacket pocket, but having it poke out of your pants pocket is just asking to have it stolen on the train, or other crowded places.

I like those old long vintage wallets that men used to carry, but don't use one for that reason.

proxy.php

I bought the full leather version of this, as I've been looking for a thin wallet for some time. The thing is perfect. I have something like 10 cards, photos and cash in it, and it's about a quarter inch thick. I highly recommend it.

I just ordered this one.
I have to carry state and city licenses for the trades I work in, along with certification cards for some of the gas pipe manufacturers. I have something in the neighborhood of 18 cards, just to be compliant with local laws. Throw in ID, credit/debit cards, insurance, pictures and all of the other crap that ends up in my wallet and it looks like I'm carrying a brick in my back pocket. Hopefully this will save my back, and prevent me from needing a man-purse. Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom