What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

getting better. I just shaved with the Weck for the second time. No irritation this time. I think I was applying pressure last shave given the different geometry between the Weck and a DE safety razor. The shave is really smooth. I'm pleased with the results and will continue to use it to try to develop some technique. I'm still pretty clumsy with it below the jaw line but I decided that I like the ability it gives me to shave under my nose. This is always a difficult area with the DE, and I had the bad experience with the other shavette when I cut myself there. I now attribute this to the fact that the shape of that blade holder doesn't allow me to get close under the nose while maintaining a proper shave angle and to the fact that the 1/2 DE blades are much sharper than the shaper blade.

getting better. I just shaved with the Weck for the second time. No irritation this time. I think I was applying pressure last shave given the different geometry between the Weck and a DE safety razor. The shave is really smooth. I'm pleased with the results and will continue to use it to try to develop some technique. I'm still pretty clumsy with it below the jaw line but I decided that I like the ability it gives me to shave under my nose. This is always a difficult area with the DE

~~~Don't know if you ever thought about this but, you can use your free hand/fingers to hold, move your nose so the DE wont interfere. Shaving with a straight razor I feel no need to move my nose outta the way as the two passes I do under the nose (WTG, XTG), my nose isn't in the way, since the blade is thin on straight razor, unlike the bulky head of a DE safety yet wheneve I used (sahved) with a DE or SE safety, Bam!, my free hand grabs the ol' shnoz for manipulation

...just a thought...hope it helps you

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

~~~Don't know if you ever thought about this but, you can use your free hand/fingers to hold, move your nose so the DE wont interfere. Shaving with a straight razor I feel no need to move my nose outta the way as the two passes I do under the nose (WTG, XTG), my nose isn't in the way, since the blade is thin on straight razor, unlike the bulky head of a DE safety yet wheneve I used (sahved) with a DE or SE safety, Bam!, my free hand grabs the ol' shnoz for manipulation

...just a thought...hope it helps you

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Thanks, Jake. With a straight or a Weck, I seem to have more ability to get there without moving my nose. When I use a DE, I always have to shave ATG under my nose to get the blade close enough, even if I move my nose. In my earlier post, I referenced a bad experience with a shavette. My mistake was in approaching the area just under my nose with the blade angle too close to perpendicular. It instantly sliced me open. That was with a shavette that used double edged blades broken in half. I don't have that problem with the Weck due to the blade height and the duller blade.

Vez and others,
I spent the past several days shaving with a true straight...my first real straight shaving other than some experimenting years ago. Then I came back to the Weck this morning. I am even more impressed with it now. Is it the same? No, but it actually approximates the straight pretty well. My shave today was closer and definitely irritation-free. I think the main difference is that I concentrated on applying no pressure. I just did a two-pass shave (WTG, ATG) and it is very acceptable. I'm certain that this razor will join my rotation (along with my DEs and my straight). I was also thinking that this could be the ideal travel razor.

Thanks again, Vez, for the initial prompt. Although I didn't join the 8 pass, your post caused me to buy the Weck. More to come as I get better with it.

Vez and others,
I spent the past several days shaving with a true straight...my first real straight shaving other than some experimenting years ago. Then I came back to the Weck this morning. I am even more impressed with it now. Is it the same? No, but it actually approximates the straight pretty well.

That is exactly my point, and what I hope those in this pass will discover for themselves. Thanks for your unsolicited reviews. I know it gives the guys in this pass something to look forward to!

Thanks, Jake. With a straight or a Weck, I seem to have more ability to get there without moving my nose. When I use a DE, I always have to shave ATG under my nose to get the blade close enough, even if I move my nose. In my earlier post, I referenced a bad experience with a shavette. My mistake was in approaching the area just under my nose with the blade angle too close to perpendicular. It instantly sliced me open. That was with a shavette that used double edged blades broken in half. I don't have that problem with the Weck due to the blade height and the duller blade.

~~~that's how I approach the area under my nose...perpendicular, but like you said, with an extremely sharp blade (like a DE shavette), if you use too much pressure coming in, you're gonna get cut, and I never have that problem, anymore as it seems I've learned how to execute a deft touch getting in there

I don't have much room between the upper lip and under the nose to perform a fool's pass=:), I start out ATG then later on during the shave I go XTG (left to right, right to left) and I'm clean shaven there, BBS in fact. That said, the easiest blades for me to shave XTG under the nose & wend up BBS are round tip 6/8...I have to be careful with the square points as I have extremely sensitive virgin skin under the nose

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

OK... this is intriguing me. I'm so easily persuaded on these things. I did a PIF of some Dorko AC blades a while back and one of the guys used them in a Cobra. I ended up getting a Cobra (glad I did - nice razor). I can see I will have to get one of these sexy-koto blades - or whatever they are called.

Found one for a reasonably small pittance (we have tons of antique stores nearby) and went to Sally and got some Personna Hair Shaper Blades. The one I got was one of the stainless ones with a medical caduceus on the hilt. I hesitated slightly cuz the last stainless handled razor I got was terribly balanced. However, I've now put on two shaves with this one and, while the handle is indeed a bit heavier, the balance is fine compared to the TI stainless razor. The shaves are milder than an AC and definitely nicer than a broken blade shavette. My first shave resulted in some light weepers - I was a bit aggressive. The second one had a single weeper that was gone by the end of the shave. I'm typing this and stroking my chin and thinking that this was indeed a 'hidden in plain sight' find.

The abundance of hair shaper blades makes these cheaper to use than standard AC blades. I found a half dozen sources for different makes. Personna, Fromm, Weck, and something called Brittiny seem popular. Anyone used Brittiny?

So... jazzed because of the initial success... I went researching and found that they used to supply Weck razors with a strop. You could tune up the edge with the strop once the blade became a bit too mild. Anyone doing that?

BTW: I'm on the passaround list and still want to try the passaround and compare it to the one I have. However, if someone would like to take my place and put me at the end, that would be fine.

Found one for a reasonably small pittance (we have tons of antique stores nearby) and went to Sally and got some Personna Hair Shaper Blades. The one I got was one of the stainless ones with a medical caduceus on the hilt. I hesitated slightly cuz the last stainless handled razor I got was terribly balanced. However, I've now put on two shaves with this one and, while the handle is indeed a bit heavier, the balance is fine compared to the TI stainless razor. The shaves are milder than an AC and definitely nicer than a broken blade shavette. My first shave resulted in some light weepers - I was a bit aggressive. The second one had a single weeper that was gone by the end of the shave. I'm typing this and stroking my chin and thinking that this was indeed a 'hidden in plain sight' find.

The abundance of hair shaper blades makes these cheaper to use than standard AC blades. I found a half dozen sources for different makes. Personna, Fromm, Weck, and something called Brittiny seem popular. Anyone used Brittiny?

So... jazzed because of the initial success... I went researching and found that they used to supply Weck razors with a strop. You could tune up the edge with the strop once the blade became a bit too mild. Anyone doing that?

BTW: I'm on the passaround list and still want to try the passaround and compare it to the one I have. However, if someone would like to take my place and put me at the end, that would be fine.

Your experience closely mirrors mine. (and I, too, found the medical version...the balance seems fine). I have tried stropping it and it does stretch the blade life. In fact, I might try stropping before my first shave on the next blade.

Thanks for doing the research. Good stuff.

Just couldn't wait, huh ladykate? I think you'll like the one in the pass better. The scales are plastic and much lighter than the stainless. It's much easier to use. Sounds like you like the Weck and your experience is about the same as mine.

Man, I want one of these now. Can't start a WTB thread cause I've only been here for a few weeks. This sounds like a good compromise to straight razor shaving. I've looked on ebay but nothing is as cheap as some of the recent completed auctions. I'd have loved in on this pass. If someone has a Sextoblade they want to sell, I'd love it. Thanks

Man, I want one of these now. Can't start a WTB thread cause I've only been here for a few weeks. This sounds like a good compromise to straight razor shaving. I've looked on ebay but nothing is as cheap as some of the recent completed auctions. I'd have loved in on this pass. If someone has a Sextoblade they want to sell, I'd love it. Thanks

I've seen any number of them in antique shops. They are very common compared to regular straights.

I've actually never come across one of these in an antique store. The only shavette I've ever found on the wild was a Durham. All my Wecks came off the bay.

I've actually never come across one of these in an antique store. The only shavette I've ever found on the wild was a Durham. All my Wecks came off the bay.

You had me doubting myself for a minute. Went to one of the local stores yesterday. Found three Wecks and four Durhams in a tray - most were in terrible shape but at least I hadn't been daydreaming it! The bay has them all the time, though. Some are priced way high (like... yanoe... the 'bay) but $20 should pick one up I bet... (says the highly experienced Weck user :lol:)

Last edited:
Well... I no more than say something and I stick my foot in my mouth. Search on eBay for Weck Hair Shaper or Weck Razor. Just found one for 1.50 plus shipping. Bought it but there will be others and I'm not buying more!

Hair shapers are common on the bay. Sextoblades not as much. When I bought mine I was able to get them for between $8 and $14 shipped. Prices are higher now, but that is to be expected around the holidays. Patience will yield better prices.

ladykate:
ebay has a good amount of weck's but I want the specific Sextoblade, non stainless handle... and I want it in a price range that ebay isn't currently offering. one is close but i'm waiting for another listing.
And FWIW, I hit 7 antique shops today..some are huge..and no Weck razors of any type.

Last edited:
Ladykate, can I ask what antique store you saw them at? I've been to all the antique stores in Bellevue. I bought a couple of my first straight razors at one of them.

Top Bottom