What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

Trading was said to be OK, but if you are trying to win one of Brian's generous prizes, the only exceptions allowed are B&B related and Branded items...

Brian said even his rules allow trading, so long as you aren't including giving any cash with it.

Yes trading is okay as long as no cash is involved....and Beginish is also throwing some brushes if youse last longer then him. The same rules as mine apply

For full disclosure, I have some custom scales being made and a UFO handle on order. Not sure if they will arrive before the new year or not.

Anything ordered before the start of the new year is fine. However long it takes to receive it isn't a problem.

Yeah, I just read through the entire thread and now understand all of the rules. I am going to stock up on some injector blades for when I travel. I'm also going to remove my exceptions and cross my fingers and hope the Semogue LE is out before January!

Yeah, I just read through the entire thread and now understand all of the rules. I am going to stock up on some injector blades for when I travel. I'm also going to remove my exceptions and cross my fingers and hope the Semogue LE is out before January!

That brush is one of my exceptions, probably the only one. We'll see.

Looks interesting, but not sure I'll pick one up.

Just placed an order with WSC and Bullgoose. Minus the injector blades I still need to pick up, I should be all set for the year.

I completed my IB order. The only selfish things in there were some new Floid Black and the RR Coconut soap. I knew I'd have an itch to try that in the near future. The rest was for gifts.

Of course, I'm tempted already!!! Like a week after my big TFS order guess what... they announce 2 new soaps, Summer and Winter! Summer sounds fantastic, Winter sounds pretty good too. Why do they always do that? LOL I dunno guys.... Should I before '13? I hate doubling up on shipping like that but... but....

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wow, I do not have anything stocked up... Everything I have is open, and being used. Maybe I should rethink this sabbatical thing...
I am sure I still have enough to get me through!

I've never been much at stocking up either. However, 14 soaps in rotation does last a while.

I'll add myself to this list as well. Being a newbie, and having a decent starter kit as I've been told, my list should be pretty small:

Exceptions: Need to find a good shaving soap and aftershave. But, I don't plan on going wild on the purchases. If I buy, I'll use it up before purchasing new (unless it causes medical problems).

I'll add myself to this list as well. Being a newbie, and having a decent starter kit as I've been told, my list should be pretty small:

Exceptions: Need to find a good shaving soap and aftershave. But, I don't plan on going wild on the purchases. If I buy, I'll use it up before purchasing new (unless it causes medical problems).

you may have to narrow down that exception, or take a look at the Pair Down Thread, where you can do it month to month. leaving an open ended excpetion like "i need to find a soap and aftershave" is an indication that you are probably not ready for the 2013 sabbatical, so we'll leave you off the list for now.

i say, enjoy your 1st year, go ape wild and buy and try as much as you can, then look for the 2014 Sabbatical. there is no way I could have done it my 1st year.

you may have to narrow down that exception, or take a look at the Pair Down Thread, where you can do it month to month. leaving an open ended excpetion like "i need to find a soap and aftershave" is an indication that you are probably not ready for the 2013 sabbatical, so we'll leave you off the list for now.

i say, enjoy your 1st year, go ape wild and buy and try as much as you can, then look for the 2014 Sabbatical. there is no way I could have done it my 1st year.

Hmm, I don't really belong in the "Pair Down Thread" either as I'm the kind to not buy more than one thing at a time really. I do have two razors simply because if one is being sharpened, I need to shave. I do intend to buy/try different soaps and aftershaves. But, I don't plan to go wild simply because I can't afford it.

I was looking at it this thread as a "I'm controlling my spending on <shaving items>" and being responsible. Perhaps I was wrong and not realizing there are multiple threads.

I do intend to buy/try different soaps and aftershaves. But, I don't plan to go wild simply because I can't afford it..

this is a good view on things, but not what the Sabbatical is about. the sabbatical thread is for people who are willing to try and not buy anything (with the odd exception, but not an opened end exception to buy soaps and aftershaves).

with regards to your bolded line above, we've all said that and then ended up with 20+ soaps or creams in our den at any given time. :001_cool:

it's nothing personal and i hope you see where i'm coming from.

this is a good view on things, but not what the Sabbatical is about. the sabbatical thread is for people who are willing to try and not buy anything (with the odd exception, but not an opened end exception to buy soaps and aftershaves).

with regards to your bolded line above, we've all said that and then ended up with 20+ soaps or creams in our den at any given time. :001_cool:

it's nothing personal and i hope you see where i'm coming from.

Absolutely, and not taking it personally. For the record, it wasn't stated as "try" and buy many different kinds in the search for a soap. Rather, buy as I needed. But, after seeing some of the collections of people here, I can see I don't belong in the sabbatical thread. I don't have enough soap, etc stockpiled to last a year or two to begin with. ;)

I'll jump onboard for no purchases in 2013.

My one exception is if I somehow run out of something entirely I'll only buy cheap local replacements. With most of my gear that's unlikely but I may not have a years worth of AS.

Top Bottom