What's new

Personal Observation Between Gillette Tech and Gillette NEW Short Comb

The two Vintage Razors that I grab for the most are a Tech and a Short Comb NEW. I get great shaves with either one and lately I have felt that the shaves are equally good, one not better than the other.

Today while setting up my SOTD picture for tomorrow I decided to take a closer look at both heads.

This is my personal observations, I am sure that some will disagree with me.

For all intended purposes, the Tech is nothing more than a closed bar short comb NEW. Yes, I said it. I know many of the BOTOC guys will freak out, calling it blasphemous, but really a picture speaks a thousand words, look for yourself.

• The head geometry is almost identical.
• In the older Tech's, the top cap is interchangeable.
• The shape of the comb bar is the same, just one is closed.
• The blade gap is the same on the Short Comb NEW and TECH (.56mm)

So to my eye, and face what is the only real difference? The open comb of the NEW.

I have said it a hundred times if not more. I can get a great shave out of a Tech, as many other shavers have before me. It was obviously a great seller for Gillette as it was produced from 1938 to 2008, a span of 70 years.

So why is it that some guys cannot get a good shave from a Tech, but they swear by a NEW? Again, this is my own personal opinion, but I believe it all boils down to technique. With any open comb, you know immediately if you are shaving at the incorrect angle, as you will have rake marks in your lather, but no reduction of stubble. Any open combs almost makes you work on your technique, angle of holding the razor, and the amount of pressure that is applied.

With any closed comb razor, unless you are a seasoned veteran, it may take you a while to find the correct angle for cutting.

So those who have given up on a Tech but love their open combs....if it has been a while, give the Tech another try, you may be shocked at how well you can shave with it.
proxy.php

+1 on the Tech, Arley. There is a similarity in design between these two Gillette razros. I would think the company used it base design from their Tech in designing the OC pictured above. Good observation and good comparative photos.

I agree. The Tech is a fantastic razor. In my top 3. I have a heavy beard and the Tech has no problem with giving me a BBS, irritation free shave every time.

Hey Roger,

Actually the Tech came later, but I am sure that the short comb NEW was the base design for the Tech, so almost what you said :wink2:

True, they may shave similar but i think that the OC has a better design for a more aggressive and effective shave due to the teeth and the way it can let more residue through the teeth. This design lessens the irritation and gets to more hairs and less skin, with the TECH more residue piles up and it negatively effects the shave results
.$NEW-TECH.jpg

Interesting observation Arley. I've never looked at them both side by side. I'll have to take a look.

Also, did you see the thread linked below from a while back with an actual open comb Tech? I never knew they existed until I saw the thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...splay-NOS-19?p=4492162&highlight=#post4492162

Images by Elmerwood.
View attachment 288243

View attachment 288244

I had never seen that Chris, that is VERY cool, and what an awesome find!

True, they may shave similar but i think that the OC has a better design for a more aggressive and effective shave due to the teeth and the way it can let more residue through the teeth. This design lessens the irritation and gets to more hairs and less skin, with the TECH more residue piles up and it negatively effects the shave results
.View attachment 288246

I guess that would be true for the guys who do not rinse their razors often, but I literally rinse the head after each stroke. But I do see the observation you are making.

I guess that would be true for the guys who do not rinse their razors often, but I literally rinse the head after each stroke. But I do see the observation you are making.
Arley, I see ur point on constant rinsing and its outcome, but for me the Tech does not reach a certain level that a OC can. The OC can really shave good but it takes a certain focus and technique like u said. The Tech is more effective even without the focus but that is my concern, that even with proper focus and extra attention to detail i can never get that OC type result.

Hey Roger,

Actually the Tech came later, but I am sure that the short comb NEW was the base design for the Tech, so almost what you said :wink2:

You're right. The first Gillette patent, 1904, was for an OC. I stand corrected, Arley.

Last edited:
The two Vintage Razors that I grab for the most are a Tech and a Short Comb NEW. I get great shaves with either one and lately I have felt that the shaves are equally good, one not better than the other.

Today while setting up my SOTD picture for tomorrow I decided to take a closer look at both heads.

This is my personal observations, I am sure that some will disagree with me.

For all intended purposes, the Tech is nothing more than a closed bar short comb NEW. Yes, I said it. I know many of the BOTOC guys will freak out, calling it blasphemous, but really a picture speaks a thousand words, look for yourself.

• The head geometry is almost identical.
• In the older Tech's, the top cap is interchangeable.
• The shape of the comb bar is the same, just one is closed.
• The blade gap is the same on the Short Comb NEW and TECH (.56mm)

So to my eye, and face what is the only real difference? The open comb of the NEW.

I have said it a hundred times if not more. I can get a great shave out of a Tech, as many other shavers have before me. It was obviously a great seller for Gillette as it was produced from 1938 to 2008, a span of 70 years.

So why is it that some guys cannot get a good shave from a Tech, but they swear by a NEW? Again, this is my own personal opinion, but I believe it all boils down to technique. With any open comb, you know immediately if you are shaving at the incorrect angle, as you will have rake marks in your lather, but no reduction of stubble. Any open combs almost makes you work on your technique, angle of holding the razor, and the amount of pressure that is applied.

With any closed comb razor, unless you are a seasoned veteran, it may take you a while to find the correct angle for cutting.

So those who have given up on a Tech but love their open combs....if it has been a while, give the Tech another try, you may be shocked at how well you can shave with it.

I also really enjoy the shaves from both the Tech and the Short Comb New though I never thought about how similar the heads really are, now that you bring it forward and show the pictures it sure makes since! The shaves are really similar to me as well. I am not a big fan of the Long Comb New, wonder why the tech was modeled after the short comb version and not the long comb version...(maybe to save on cost)

I also really enjoy the shaves from both the Tech and the Short Comb New though I never thought about how similar the heads really are, now that you bring it forward and show the pictures it sure makes since! The shaves are really similar to me as well. I am not a big fan of the Long Comb New, wonder why the tech was modeled after the short comb version and not the long comb version...(maybe to save on cost)
Cost savings was one reason, but they would not give up on design and function for the sake of savings, gillete was a inovative company so it did thrive on newer concepts and like Arley stated, they could have drawn on the OC design as the precursor of the Tech. ( Economics always plays a key role on designs too)

You're right. The first Gillette patent, 1904, was for an OC. I stand corrected, Arley.

I would love to find a handle shaped just like that, preferably in wood. I know this was the patent design, but I don't think I ave ever seen an old Gillette with that handle.

like this?

attachment.php

That is so cool Achim, I have never, ever seen one before. Thank you so much for posting

I always use your site as a reference and could not find a picture of one (I see now I should have looked under the History section).

It looks so different than any other Gillette, nothing like the Old Types.

Sorry, but the name "Tech" refers specifically to the new solid safety bar "Technology".

Okay. So if it's not a Tech then what model is it? I honestly don't know because I had never seen one before that thread.

Here is one I own next to a Tech from the same period.
$compare.jpg $compare2.2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom