What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

First off, this is not a first come, first served pass so read the entire post before jumping the gun and signing up.

OK Guys, here's the deal. We always see posts about shavettes in the straight razor forum. Whenever possible I try to speak up on the wonders of the Weck Sextoblade Shavette. My comments always seem to fall on deaf ears. I just don't think many people are aware of the Weck Shavettes and fewer have actually tried them. I'm going to change that, and hopefully, earn the Weck some respect in the process.

proxy.php

The Weck Sextoblade is a very old design. It was patented in 1909. But in my opinion, it is far better than modern shavettes. Just what makes the Weck Sextoblade different from a Parker or Dovo shavette? For those that have used a Parker or Dovo, you know that a lot of the difficulty in using one is from the weight of the razor itself. It is very light and in-turn, leads to adding additional pressure. Also, they use a half of a DE razor, which is really, really sharp and very unforgiving on its exposed edge. Lastly, the width of the blade holder makes the angle at which you hold the razor quite steep, making it very easy to dig in to your skin if your technique is not perfect.

By the nature of its design, the Weck Sextoblade corrects all of these deficiencies. First, the blade arm is metal and solid, giving it good weight and balance. Secondly, it uses a Hair Shaper blade, which is similar in design to a standard SE blade, just skinnier and longer. It has no flex and the blade is not as sharp as a DE. Lastly, since the blade is rigid, it is only held by the spine. This makes the blade angle on your skin almost exactly the same as using a normal straight.

Sound Interesting? If so, sign up for the Straight-Eight Pass below.
The requirements:
1) You have never used a Weck shavette before.
2) You are an experienced straight razor shaver.
3) You are experienced with some form of other inexpensive shavette (so you can compare).
4) When selected, you will send me, via PM, your name, address, phone number, and email address. I've had razor passes get lost or stuck so I need all of your contact information. I will not share it with anyone, but if you are uncomfortable giving me all that information, do not sign up.
5) The Razor and 8 blades (one for each participant) will be shipped in a small flat rate priority box. Shipping the razor to the next person in the same box will be your responsibility.
6) Package Tracking is required. After you ship the package, you will PM me or post the Tracking number.
7) The last member will return the package to me.
8) This pass will last around 3 months including transit time. Do not sign up, if you are not going to be interested in it, if you happen to need to wait that long. Watching it progress through different users is part of the fun of a pass.

Sign-ups will be open for about a week, and the final eight participants will be chosen at random. Depending on who signs up, I may hand select a couple members whose opinion I'm very interested in. This will be CONUS only.

What you will need to do:
1) Shave with the Weck Sextoblade every day for 5-7 days.
2) Post about your experience with it and impressions of it, in this thread.
3) Compare it to straight razor shaving, and shavette shaving.
4) Send it on to the next person in line.

My assertion is that the Weck Sextoblade does not shave as good as a straight razor, however, it is closer in feel, technique and performance to a straight razor than a normal shavette. I do not own, nor have I ever used a Feather shavette. I understand that these are better than the standard shavettes. I'm curious how the Weck Sextoblade compares to a Feather (personally) but I'm more interested in how it compares to the more affordable Parker and Dovo shavettes, since those are what the newbie questions are usually referencing.

If you are willing to give this razor a try, please sign up below, and let me know what your experience with straights and shavettes is. Thank You!

I've never used a shavette so I can't enter, but this is a really cool idea. I've never bothered with a shavette because of complaints I've heard about weight so it's interesting to learn about this one.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The Sextoblade is a nice razor. The weight and feel is quite comfortable. I used one for a few months early on.

I like seeing someone who likes using the shavette. Disposable blade straights are all I use for straights, and I have all the Feather's, the Kai's and the Parkers. Those are more than enough for me, and I'm able to get excellent shaves from any of them.
I just wanted to comment on your post, and to say that what you're doing is really nice.

Like duderdo, I've been kept away because of the weight of shavettes. I like heavy straights and DEs. Very interested though. If you change the requirements let me know, but nevertheless, I look forward to the feedback.

I'd give it a go KJ...I actually tried a Fromm given to me by professorchaos before switching to straights and quite frankly, I hated it. There was no "balance". I'd say I'm an experienced straight shaver (1 year in, 10 minute one pass shave to DFS:001_cool: every day).

Here is where we stand so far.

Possible pass participants:
tomjr
TnutsShave

Alternates:
duderdo
jrward2

Looking for a total of 8, who's next?

Last edited:
Count me in. I haven't use one but have used all the others+.

I don't like shavettes that use broken blades - but I have shaved with them quite a bit... I'm a masochist....

I started with a Derby shavette, which was a train wreck, but once my technique improved, I got a Spilo Magic Razor from Sally's, which is still light, but not too bad. I've only been at traditional straight razor shaving since MOvember, but I'm improving pretty quickly, when I'm not dropping it and accidentally killing the edge and have to wait to get it honed.

Anyway, I'd be happy to try a Sextoblade, as I've heard the weight and blade types definitely helps. Thanks for considering me!

tomjr
TnutsShave
ladykate
sychodelix

Alternates:
duderdo
jrward2

Getting there, would like a few more, then the fun can begin.

Anyone getting in on this pass is in for a treat.
Im not in, because I use a Sextoblade occasionally.
I like the Fromm 105 blades, the Feathers were a bit too brisk.

I get great shaves with mine. I like it more than the CJB with Kai Milds.

I had a modern Stainless Weck, it was ok, but it did feel cheesy. The blade ejection lever was cool though.
I thought enough of it to consider rescaling it - just never got around to it.

I have a Parker that I use during brief trips; so I would seem to qualify, and this does sound interesting. I am sending you a PM about it though, as I have some personal scheduling constraints...

Last edited:
tomjr
TnutsShave
ladykate
sychodelix
Alum of Potash
Kentos

Alternates:
duderdo
jrward2

Well I expected a bit more interest than this, so I may not have to do a random draw after all. I'll leave sign ups open one more day, and we may just play with what we have right now.

Gamma said:
I like the Fromm 105 blades, the Feathers were a bit too brisk.
the Fromm blades I have say 106. I wonder what the difference is. Are there feather blades that fit this? I was only aware of Fromm and Personna.

Edit... The 105 is a 5 pack and the 106 is a ten pack. Same blades.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about the sextoblade getting no love...I had one for quite a while that I couldn't even give away! I seriously tried, I had no interest in it myself. At the urging of a member here (plpenn) I bought some blades for it and gave it a shot. Not bad! I could see wanting one to travel with, for convenience sake.
I ended up piffing it to somebody after plpenn's pass around he did with one of these a while ago, can't remember where it ended up.

I haven't ever used another "shavette" to compare it to but was pleasantly surprised with the weight and feel of this blade.

Top Bottom