What's new

Super- and Uber-latherers, where are you?

A couple of years ago on B&B there was frequent talk about superlathering and uberlathering. What happened? Have people stopped these practices or are they not considered newsworthy? Personally, I like hearing about the experiments people do with their products to enhance their performance, so if anyone would like to chime in, feel free.

P.S. I'm a bit too conservative to try these things myself-I live vicariously through the efforts of the courageous and creative. Perhaps I can be persuaded.

I occasionally "uberlather" with Williams/Arko cream/glycerine. I've toyed with the idea of possibly mixing Col Conk & something, maybe Real Shaving Co. cream but I usually just use products by themselves. Basically if I find a soap/cream I'm not crazy about it will become an uberlather candidate.

I've done it a few times after reading about it.
I've mixed Arko with Proraso Green, Arko with Tabac and Crabtree & Everlyn Sienna with Proraso Green.
Each has been a success, IMO.

I'm relatively new at this but figure I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers,
Lynchy (Snr)

I use uber/superlathers pretty often. I have creams I like the scent but not the performance of, or sometimes I want to merely adjust the scent of a soap. I've never had any combo I've tried make a bad lather, so I don't hesitate to experiment. I add proraso to an artisan menthol/eucalyptus soap I have, I drop KMF onto a mix I made of stroppe shop bay rum and MWF, or I add some AoS unscented into VDH Luxury. Those are the most common mixes I use. I generally leave Tabac and Cella as is, since honestly, they need no help in any department.

When I bowl lather and I'm not trying a new product, I will super-lather. Other than that - not really - as I mostly face lather now.

I use an inexpensive shea butter based shaving soap from a small Canadian mom&pop set up, with a bit of The Real Shaving Co cream and a bit of The Body Shop Macca Root cream. It provides one amazing lather!

I uberlathered this morning with vintage Old Spice, KMF Patchouli and 6 drops of glycerine. The resulting lather was very thick and cushioned, but the glide wasn't the best.

I occasionally drop a little Palmolive (or other creme) into my lathering mug, then load the brush with a hard soap. That seems to give me a bit more protective and "creamy" lather, which, however, will cause my face to dry more than using just the normal triple milled soap. Thus, heavier moisturizer is needed afterwards.

use c.o. bigelow cream w/Tabac then put in a little too much water so it is on the thin side of a good lather. Then I use glycerine to bring it up to final consistancy of greek yogurt..

Been face lathering in the shower for the summer.
As it cools down I'll move back to the sink and warm scuttle, and will "Uberlather" when using soaps.
I find that creams generally don't benefit (at least the creams I ususally use)... and if I were to attempt to uberlather with Arko... well.... the last time didn't work out so well....

proxy.php

Good on the gents who do it. i get great lather from my single soap that i use and if i whipped up an uber-lather it would cove my whole head. Hee hee.
i doubt that it has died out as the gents are just not mentioning it.

I almost always do it, as I like to bowl lather, and just a 1/2 snurdle of Real Shaving, KMF or Bigelow makes for a really slick and protective lather. I will say that with AoS Sandalwood soap and cream, a little of each goes a lonnng way.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm down to four creams that are wonderful on their own, so I feel no need/desire to experiment. But it sounds like fun for those who do.

I uberlather with VDH Deluxe, one pump of KMF key lime, and five drops of glycerin. I like it a lot!

Top Bottom