What's new

Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Bootlegger's Bay Rum is one of the best bay rums I have tried and it is a staple in my rotation. It has a great balanced scent, not too clovey and not too sweet. It has a little bit of burn and has glycerine in it so it makes your skin feel great. So, I know what you're thinking... "Where can I buy a bottle of this awesome juice?" Well there's good news and bad news. First, the bad news. You can't buy it. It is not commercially available. The good news is, you can make it yourself (it's called Bootlegger's for a reason!). Who do we have to thank for coming up with this awesome juice? Our very own: OkieStubble. Maybe he wasn't the first to make it (not sure), but he gave it the Bootlegger's name, and made it a part of B&B lore. Here is how to make some for yourself!

Bootlegger's Bay Rum
1/3 Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
1/3 Master Bay Rum
1/3 Superior 70 Bay Rum

I had previously been mixing Pinaud and Master together, and that mix is great. But OkieStubble offered up the addition of Superior 70. I read this in one of his posts back in Nov 2011. Unfortunatley, my Walgreens does not carry Superior 70 (it can be found there, regionally) and I had no good local source for the product. OkieStubble recently PIF'd me a bottle of Superior 70, and I could not believe the difference it made. I'll never look back. I'll be using Bootlegger's forever!

The beauty of Bootlegger's is that it is cheap! A 12oz bottle of Pinaud VIBR is $8 (Walgreens), a 15oz bottle of Master BR is $9 (Sally Beauty) and a 12oz bottle of Superior 70 BR is $2 (Walgreens). So for a total of about $20 you can make up a mega batch of 36oz of Bootleggers. That's about 55 cents per ounce! You can't even buy cheap drug store after shaves like Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer that cheap. And just to quickly compare, Ogallala BR is $2.5 per ounce (4oz bottle is $10 at WCS).

I recently restored one of my vintage barber bottles (replaced the cork) so I could more properly store it. And I thought, this awesome product can't just sit on the shelf all naked, it needs a label fitting of its heritage. So I created the labels that I put on my bottle. I ran out of Pinaud VIBR, so I couldn't make enough to fill my 16oz bottle. But I'll be going to get some more soon!

proxy.php

proxy.php

And, since I know someone is going to ask... here are the labels I made for it:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I definitely encourage you all to try Bootlegger's Bay Rum, if you can find the
three bay rums locally. Even if you have to spend a bit more to order them
through the mail, it is still well worth it. If anyone else has tried it, I'm
curious if you love it as much as I do.

Last edited:
Looks great, I'm going to hunt down some Superior 70 and give it a shot. BTW that pic looks like it was taken in a real bathroom, are back in the World? If so welcome home brother.

Yep, been back for a while now, thanks.

As for the cross, symbology is what you make of it. Many symbols can portray positives and negatives, depending on your intentions behind its use. To me, this just spoke of southern, and something that modern day bootleggers might use. If you like the label, but not the cross, I will post another version later, sans cross.

Ok, for those who may not like the cross, here is a simpler version of the label.
proxy.php

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Been wearing Bootlegger's exclusively since it has turned cold here in Okie Land. It has excellent longevity and smells absolutely wonderful! Every bit as much quality as the more expensive bay rums. And that bottle of yours with that label is perfect! Thanks KJ for propping the virtues of Bootlegger's with this awesome post. :a14:It has seemed a shame that we are the only ones enjoying this delightful elixir. If you ever run out of and need more Superior 70, just holla atcha boi... :)

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Killer!

My 22-year-old son -- in college and still dependent -- just hit me up for a refill of Dominica Lime. I think I'll turn him onto Bootlegger's. Maybe we'll try adding a little lime.

Impressive. Great labels and bottle demo, too. I have to find all 3the of those bay rums... and I have to polish off a nice bottle of somethin' or other. Life is hard sometimes.

Last edited:
After posting some threads on bay rums, and seeing your response to one, I'm making it a mission of mine while I am off from work (shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago) to acquire and try these three brands, mix up the PinMaster and give a whirl, and finally mix up the Bootlegger's. I'll report back my "Experience".

Awesome, I'm curious how you all will like it, can't wait to hear your reviews. Hopefully you have access to all three in your area.

ChiefBroom, adding lime is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Yep, I knew NASCAR came from bootlegging, seems all good thing start with alcohol, right? J/K

Last edited:
Love this idea! Going to try this myself, so far have only located Master's at my local Sally's beauty. My Local Walgreens does'nt appear to have either the Superior 70, or the PVIBR. Going to stay on the hunt though. I've already found a nice bottle for decanting. Love the labels Vez made as well, but thinking I might put my own spin on one.

Been mixing the VIBR and Masters, not quite 50/50 , I will have to mix it up. Tough to find Superior 70 in Seattle, I may have to break down and order it in to the store nearest me.

Been mixing the VIBR and Masters, not quite 50/50 , I will have to mix it up. Tough to find Superior 70 in Seattle, I may have to break down and order it in to the store nearest me.

Yeah. Nothing around here in WV (or nearby OH) either. Supposedly Shoprite stores carry it. I'll be in northern NJ next week. With a little luck, I'll snag a few bottles.

Just ordered the components online.... coming from different places, so probably different times. I can't wait to try this bit of alchemy!

Bootlegger's Bay Rum
1/3 Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
1/3 Master Bay Rum
1/3 Superior 70 Bay Rum

I have the Master Bay, I have 2 bottles of Superior 70 put away for me at the local Walgreens (they finally found it on the bottom shelf in their Hispanic Medicinal Section, and I just ordered 3 bottles of Pinaud Virgin Island from Walgreens ( 3 bottles to get free shipping)

I'll mix it up next weekend and report back.

I apologize for the necropost but figured that this might be better than starting a whole new thread.

As the individual components are kind of expensive ($10 for a bottle of the virgin island rum alone) and I have never even tried one bay rum, much less mixing three...

Does anyone out there have some already mixed up that they'd be willing to sell? I can provide the bottle.

Top Bottom