What's new

Single Malt Christmas Present

Hey everybody,

My friend has recruited me to help her with a present for her boyfriend that wants to get into scotch. She has a $100 budget and I figure the best is two Glencairn glasses, whisky rocks, and a bottle of something good. I'm thinking the Glenlivet 12 year, my friend is thinking Glenfiddich 10 year. Anyone else have some suggestions. With the other stuff that leaves a bit under $60 left.

Thanks in advance!

hmmmm for someone getting INTO Single malt scotch?

my usual gift for those who like their bourbons, canadian whiskys, blended scotches etc but are looking to get INTO single malts is The Balvenie 12 Yr Doublewood. it can make nearly anyone a single malt lover. perfectly balanced and a great intro!!

its' a wonderful introductory single malt that blows Glenfiddich and Glenlivet out of the water! far more balanced and nuanced.

I am sure you'll get a number of other suggestions, but I'd personally avoid Glenlivet/Glenfiddich.. . though I've drunk my fair share of both.

There are a lot of good 10 and 12 year bottles but your budget is begging for a 15+ year bottle. Any of the Glens at 15+ would be great. I am not a huge Macallan fan but you'll get recommendations for that. I'd avoid the Islays (like Laphroiag) unless you know darn sure the chap likes Islay. Strictly from what you provided, I think Glenlivet 12 is best. What the bleedin heck is whisky rocks? Any of these fine drams should be served neat to get best result.

Edit - I punched whisky rocks up on the google. Yeah, pass in my book. Get a couple styles of bottles rather than accessories.

Last edited:
I love that stuff too but thats near the top of the price range, I'll see if it flys with her. Thanks

hmmmm for someone getting INTO Single malt scotch?

my usual gift for those who like their bourbons, canadian whiskys, blended scotches etc but are looking to get INTO single malts is The Balvenie 12 Yr Doublewood. it can make nearly anyone a single malt lover. perfectly balanced and a great intro!!

its' a wonderful introductory single malt that blows Glenfiddich and Glenlivet out of the water! far more balanced and nuanced.

I am sure you'll get a number of other suggestions, but I'd personally avoid Glenlivet/Glenfiddich.. . though I've drunk my fair share of both.

+1

Also, scotch glasses are a nice touch - but do skip the "whiskey rocks"

Last edited:
I use and love whisky rocks, so do a bunch of my other friends that are scotch lovers, I like my palm to warm up the glass but I don't like it too warm and I find it is perfect with them in it. But drinking scotch is as personal as finger prints.

the Balvenie doublewood shouldn't be too much mrore than the Glenlivet.... should def be less than $60/bottle, probably less than $50! - tho it's been a while since I bought one, and there are several offerings from The Balvenie to boot.

agreed with Matt on avoiding Islay/peatier malts until he develops his taste. those are my favorites ...but I started drinking scotch by stealing my dad's as a teenager. it was my intro to alcohol as he never drank anything but. lol I've since repaid him well past what I snuck from him LOL

and drink my scotch neat as well - tho a drop of water can open up the flavor a bit - and a few drops if cask strength lol

Prices I can find in Western Canada online are telling me $80 but if I can find cheaper in one of the better liqour stores I'll put it on the top of the list and most likely buy a bottle for myself.

yikes! $80 CAD!?! OUCH! ummm how much are they selling Lagavulin for? (that is about $80 here)

Living in Pennsylvania, we have very strict alcohol blue laws.... not sure how your's are but maybe have a bottle shipped in? I know we have to pay tax on top of anything we ship and we have to have it shipped to a state store.

also look into Auchentoshan 12 year... it's another fine scotch that should impress and convert! it runs about the same as the Balvenie here, maybe it's cheaper there?:)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hey everybody,

My friend has recruited me to help her with a present for her boyfriend that wants to get into scotch. She has a $100 budget and I figure the best is two Glencairn glasses, whisky rocks, and a bottle of something good. I'm thinking the Glenlivet 12 year, my friend is thinking Glenfiddich 10 year. Anyone else have some suggestions. With the other stuff that leaves a bit under $60 left.

Thanks in advance!

Skip the whisky rocks ... that's for "old fashioned" tumblers, not for Glencairn glasses.

proxy.php
vs
proxy.php

That "on the rocks" stuff is more for cheaper scotch.

... anyhow, Highland Park is a nice one.

Ralfy's above recommendations on the video (the first two anyway) are perfect. Don't bother with Glenlivet/fiddich, a bit boring IMO. Skip the whiskey stones as well and spend more money on the scotch :)

Highland park... good call!

all good scotches, alas the Caol Ila will likely be a bit too peaty for a beginner.... but right up my alley hehe

then you never know! I turned a buddy of mine onto laghroaig 10 as his first single malt and he's hooked. so ya never know!

Tomorrow after I change my winter tires I'm going to hit up a liquor store that has a great selection on everything. I'll get a price list going for my friend and see what she is after.

+1 on Highland Park. The 12yr is perfectly good - a very well-rounded scotch that is a little bit of everything and not a lot of anything.

It's my favorite all-around Scotch whisky. I always have a bottle on hand. Among others, of course.

For a first timer, I'd recommend something a little lighter than the HP12. It's not very smoky, but if you've never tried it before, it might still put you off.

My recommendations would be for something fairly dark, but sweet. Maybe a Macallan 12YO or an Auchentoshan 3-wood.

Does it need to be a Malt? You could get a really good blend, which might be a bit more acceptable to a noob (hell, I love the two I'm going to recommend....) How about a Cutty Sark 18YO or a Chivas Regal 18YO? Personally, I'd rate those higher than a basic single malt.

Glencairn Glasses are a good call, but definitely not with the rocks. The point of a glencairn glass is to focus the smell. Chilling the spirit will kill the nose.

Highland Park 12 (18 is much better, but may be pearls for pigs)
Dalwhinnie 12
Macallan 12
Talisker 10
Glenlivet 16 (but this one may be too peated for a beginner)

I like the Glenlivet 15 which sells for under 50.00 USD where I live. But, these guys have given me some great pointers to several others that I will be trying...I'm a Bourbon drinker who has grown fond of Single Malts recently.
I like this type of taster with the 'cookie jar' top. You can find them on the bay. I have a plain one but here is a pic of a similar one on the bay...would make a nice Christmas gift as well, IMO.

Speaking of presents, I need to get a few nice bottles of the fifth essence of the Christmas spirit. (Port) Love a glass of Port by the fireplace during the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays...funny, I don't seem to drink it much after the holidays ?
HTH

$scotch taster.jpg

Last edited:
I was told specifically single malt, otherwise I would have told her to get Chivas because that is my go to blend. Thanks again guys I am truly amazed by all the help I'm getting.

Top Bottom