What's new

French Press users.is it really worth it?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
verses a cup from an auto-drip. and can you use the same ground coffee you'd use in an auto-drip?

i've been eyeing a French Press for quite some time (MONTHS) but never pulled the trigger for two reasons.. 1. no one i know uses one so i can't get their opinion on them. 2. general lack of knowledge.

you should also know I drink coffee EVERY morning, usually 3 cups. straight black. Chock Full O'Nuts.

and would a standard Bodum french press for $20 do the same job a more expensive one would?

Last edited:
The $20 press will be fine. Yes, it's worth it. You can use the same ground coffee you would in an auto drip. Are you talking the store-bought stuff? Why use that stuff anyway? There's a handful of roasters here that'll treat you right.

I prefer a french press to an auto drip. But if you are getting good results from your auto drip you really don't need to change.

As for making the move, the Bodum will make coffee just as well as a more expensive model. If you prefer the looks of a more expensive brand, go for it.

You will need to make a couple of pots to see how much coffee to use per pot. As for the grind, I will use either coarse or medium. I just stay away from a fine grind because it can make it hard to push the plunger down.

The reason I got a Bodum (about 20 years ago!) is that I got tired of electric coffee makers dying on me. The Bodum has no electrical parts that can crap out.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
yup im talking the store bought stuff. its about $10 for a big ole can. lasts a good while. i do think i would like to try some better stuff if i used a french press.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
SWMBO and I love our french press. Fresh coffee in 5 mins just can't be beat in our books.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
im not getting bad results from my auto-drip. its all my parents used and all i've used growing up. i guess i want to try something different. something that takes a little more effort. might enjoy the coffee more

I use mine quite a bit, in fact I'm enjoying a pot right now while writing. I like to use coarse ground coffee from Caribou Coffee, localish place, coarse ground. I think it makes a must better cup of coffee than my auto-drip maker. The coffee has a fuller flavor and tastes just a bit oilier.

im not getting bad results from my auto-drip. its all my parents used and all i've used growing up. i guess i want to try something different. something that takes a little more effort. might enjoy the coffee more

That's like someone saying they're not getting bad results using a disposable razor. They're probably not. Quite suitable. Well, they don't know any better. I tried FP coffee once. I've never gone back to anything else again. The flavor is just amazing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
good point rick. perhaps i can find a french press forum to join now.

I moved from an auto drip to a French press and I'm never going back. The only thing I do differently is avoid finely ground coffee because too many particles make it past the strainer. Stick with medium and coarse grinds, and you'll be all set.

I am gonna have to say yes! I am a press fan and even have a travel cup that is a press, so I can get goodness on the go. It is much easier to find hot water and just carry some coffee in a bag than it is to brew a pot.

A french press coffee maker is the best way to make coffee. Why? because unlike using a filter, your coffee contains all the flavour oils it's meant to have. A filter is just that and it may make your coffee clearer but it takes out the flavour. IF you are a tea drinker to you will know that tea made with loose leaves as opposed to being in a tea-bag is much more flavourful. Same idea. You can use a wide variety of grinds to make it but avoid grinds that are too fine, such as those you would use in your espresso maker as it can become difficult to push the press down through the water. My method for a four cup pot is this. Remove the press, put four coffee measures of coffee into the pot, fill the pot with boiling water, stir very briefly to get the coffee exposed to water, place the press on top of the water and wait four minutes, then slowly press down until the press is all the way down, pour and enjoy.

All the best

You could totally bypass the whole coffee maker concept and use a saucepan....just boil water, add grounds that are turkish style (most grocery store coffee grinders have a turkish setting) take off heat, put back on heat until it just starts to boil, take off heat, and serve. 1 heaping tablespoon of grounds per cup of water. Makes some serious coffee, and it needs to be swirled as you drink it or the bottom of the cup turns to mud. Great coffee with an arabic roast.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
darn it! now i REALLY want a cup of coffee from a french press! you all make it sound so much better. looks like my AD is gonna have a new friend to play with.

I own several different coffee makers, drip, espresso, french press. I currently am using a drip maker with a washable filter. So no, I don't think a french press is worth it.

The real mileage IMO is from the filter. Paper filters eliminate the oil content of the coffee, which reduces the body of the coffee and its flavor. Use a washable filter in the drip and notice the difference.

To me, drip with a good washable filter is the equal of FP, and both are better than drip through a paper filter. A good quality washable filter allows all the same oils (and some sediment) into the coffee that a FP does.

I've used the same grind for both drip and FP, even though I've read it was better to use a coarser grind in a FP. I've done both coarser and drip-ground in the FP and didn't note any difference.

If I were to use a FP, I would use the least expensive one that had decent quality. Why pay a ton of $$ for a big glass and a metal screen?

The single BEST coffee hardware we've ever bought at this house is a stainless steel thermal carafe. Keeps the coffee at serving temp for hours without burning it on the maker. Good for FP coffee, you can make a bunch and keep it warm. These are not expensive items.

The $20 press will be fine. Yes, it's worth it. You can use the same ground coffee you would in an auto drip. Are you talking the store-bought stuff? Why use that stuff anyway? There's a handful of roasters here that'll treat you right.

+1
best brew method ever. you may want to experiment with more coffees though.

I agree with shaveitoff, there are no moving parts to break and potentially it will last forever. That being said the cheap $20 ones have very thin glass which was the first thing to break on ours. Now we have a stainless steel one that insulates the coffee and will be around for many years to come. Go ahead and get the cheap one to make sure you like it, just don't expect it to last forever.

It makes a way better cup of Joe! But it works best with coffee that is ground for a french press (coarser). That way you get less grounds past the plunger when you press it. Enjoy!

I picked up both the single cup and large sizes of Bodum at either Ross or Marshall's. You can get them at any of those discount stores (TJ Maxx, etc.). I buy bulk coffee (Papua New Guinea Kimel Estate) and grind it coarsely.

Top Bottom