What's new

Shark Super Stainless Blades - Not much risk of Nicks with These Ones.

I tried this blade in my Lord L6 razor with a very slippery Australian cream the other day, and with an Erasmic shave stick today. My impressions were the same for each, the blade dragged a tad more than with other blades I've used (Astra SP, Gillette Super Thin SS, Supermax SS) but there were no nicks and hardly any alum stings afterwards. This seems like a nice mild blade.

I think the Shark Super Stainless will be very useful in my more aggressive razors which have given me grief, like my Merkur Bakelite. I'll also try it in my Chinese ones with the huge blade gaps.

Has anybody else found them as mild as I have?
Regards,
Renato

They're pretty mild yet... it's hard to do any damage with a Shark. I personally feel they are great beginner blades (much better than Derby). They perform quite well in my Slant. For an L6, I prefer sharper blades

They're pretty mild yet... it's hard to do any damage with a Shark. I personally feel they are great beginner blades (much better than Derby). They perform quite well in my Slant. For an L6, I prefer sharper blades

Thanks. I'm glad to find someone who concurs with my impression.
I hadn't thought of trying one in my slant - the somewhat sharper blades don't bother me in my Merkur Slant.

This evening I put Shark Super Stainless in my more dangerous/aggressive razors, and will be testing them out in the coming week.
Regards,
Renato

:scared:I hope you're able to return so we can hear your impressions of the blade!:biggrin1:

Hi,
Yes, I did survive the experiments, thanks.

I put Shark Super Stainless into my two prime nicking and cutting machines - my Merkur Bakelite and Weishi 2003 - and using AOS Lemon cream, shaved half my face with each.

Result was one nick from the Merkur Bakelite and no nicks from the Weishi. And there were very few alum stings on either side of my face.

So the Merkur had thankfully started behaving like my Merkur 33C, and the Weishi was actually a bit too mild compared to what it had been previously.
Regards,
Renato

Not a great fan of these- however in my adjustables they work admirably for some funny reason. Smartest looking packaging of them all of course.

I also find this blade mild with few nicks but I suffer terrible razor burn with the shark.

Sorry for the tardy reply - I was replying last night and the power went out.

I'm puzzled by the razor burn you get, if it comes about just by using the mild blade in a regular manner. Normally I get razor burn in one of two ways,
a. The blade is way too sharp for me or my technique to cope with, and
b. The blade and razor combination isn't cutting close enough with the cream I'm using, and I go over and over the area trying to get a closer shave, but wind giving myself razor burn and fine acne on the affected area.

Regards,
Renato

Not a great fan of these- however in my adjustables they work admirably for some funny reason. Smartest looking packaging of them all of course.

Interesting thanks. I hadn't thought of putting it in my Gillette Super Adjustable.
Regards,
Renato

A case of YMMV. So far the Shark Super Stainless has been the best blade for me. Smooth and sharp, no nicks, cuts or irritation. It works great in my Rocket and my Slim adjustable. Astra SP on the other hand wasn't so great for me. I hated the huge globs of wax they use and they stuck to the TTO doors on my Rocket.

I like the Shark Super Stainless too, they're my go-to "hangover" blade. If I'm ever queasy and bleary in the morning and need to just bust out a shave, I use a Shark. Probably the most forgiving blade I've stumbled across so far, and while it doesn't give me the closest shave, I've never cut myself or gotten a raw patch from one of these.

These are always the blades I recommend to newbies. The perfect mix of sharp and smooth. Mixed reviews here though. Many times people have a hard time with a shave and blame it on the blade but I've found that it usually comes down to other factors, usually prep and lather. This was my experience with my sampler pack. I'd use a blade until it was done, taking notes the whole time and then switch to a new blade. There were quite a few in there that I had pretty much written off. Since then, I've revisited them and have found my previous results to be very different, sometimes completely the opposite. My advice is always to keep your products, blades, soaps, creams, razors and then revisit them down the line. A lot of stuff changes with experience!

Top Bottom