What's new

Finally - a Synthetic Winner!

Yes, certainly is my first synthetic. Like I said, I do have to admit up front that the tips are extremely soft. I am no expert by any means, but it is nowhere near as comfortable as my Semogue 1305. With my Semogue 1305, the tips are soft if you barely touch it to your face. If you put a bit of pressure, the brush gives and splays a bit. If you really crank down on it, it'll splay out all the way. This synthetic is softer on the tip, seems to splay all the way under enough pressure, but has a weird middle ground. I'm not sure how to explain it, it either gives completely or none at all. There is this weird point where you're putting significant pressure, and it's just a bundle of fibers that move all around in one big clump but won't give way. Again, I'm no expert, just giving you my opinion.

Yes, certainly is my first synthetic. Like I said, I do have to admit up front that the tips are extremely soft. I am no expert by any means, but it is nowhere near as comfortable as my Semogue 1305. With my Semogue 1305, the tips are soft if you barely touch it to your face. If you put a bit of pressure, the brush gives and splays a bit. If you really crank down on it, it'll splay out all the way. This synthetic is softer on the tip, seems to splay all the way under enough pressure, but has a weird middle ground. I'm not sure how to explain it, it either gives completely or none at all. There is this weird point where you're putting significant pressure, and it's just a bundle of fibers that move all around in one big clump but won't give way. Again, I'm no expert, just giving you my opinion.
Very good review, I know it is hard to explain that middle pressure feel.

Great name - not sure if Ian will cut me in on a $26 brush though. Next time...I really need to work on a super rare "low valley black" 1 1/2 band titanium backbone flaccid tip badger for $250+ :thumbup:
10 % ...if it sells alot, you can pull in some $$$$

Also want to try one of the FS synthetic, I really like the performance of Mühle, they're just a bit to floppy for my taste. If I get the FS in 22mm knot, what loft would you recommend? 44, 46, 48? I like a good backbone, such as the Shavingmac D01 2-Bands. I'm afraid the 24, let alone the 28 Samjax, will be too large for my liking.

Also want to try one of the FS synthetic, I really like the performance of Mühle, they're just a bit to floppy for my taste. If I get the FS in 22mm knot, what loft would you recommend? 44, 46, 48? I like a good backbone, such as the Shavingmac D01 2-Bands. I'm afraid the 24, let alone the 28 Samjax, will be too large for my liking.

I am curious about your experiences. In my experience the Miuhle outperforms the other new gen synths especially in the backbone and in the middle ground. It also isn't clumpy.

That said, I also have a couple of silvertip fibers that are set lower and denser and that seems to increase performance indeed.

That's why the 28/55 FS was so attractive for me in the first place. And after a couple of uses I must say it is a big bang for the buck. Not par with the silvertip fibers imho. But a very serious contender for Omegas artificial badger. So an excellent job especially at this pricepoint for FS.

Thanks, maybe that's the route I need to try, have a brush maker set a 23mm Mühle STF at a 46ish loft...

I am curious about your experiences. In my experience the Miuhle outperforms the other new gen synths especially in the backbone and in the middle ground. It also isn't clumpy.

That said, I also have a couple of silvertip fibers that are set lower and denser and that seems to increase performance indeed.

Thanks, maybe that's the route I need to try, have a brush maker set a 23mm Mühle STF at a 46ish loft...

I have a Muhle 25mm set at 53mm, and a 28mm HIS knot set at 52mm. With both knots, it was more about finding the correct loft for the knot shape, rather than an optimal loft for the backbone, if that makes sense. Both of these knots have less of that "middle ground" feel than the FS synth, but there is enough there that I had to do a lot of loft test before I found what really worked. Set the knot to low, and they both got "sharp" and poky, to tall and they were to floppy. I feel raw backbone is better for the HIS, but it is flatter so I had to choose a relativaly lower loft for it to work. The Muhle with its rounder shape needed a (relatively) higher loft.

46mm very well might be just right for the 23mm, but I'd suggest testing lofts yourself, as mine set much lower than 50 really hurt lathering ability YMMV.

Nice collection! What sizes&loft are those? Really liking this option, have to see if I can have Bernd over at Shavemac do this for me. I'd love to have Rudy do it, but the shipping back and forth opposed to local shipping wouldn't be worth it. Unless Rudy can get his hands on the Mühle STF knot.

If I shave off about 8-10mm from the stock lof, I'll end up with a 2-Band STF :blink:

Then again at the FS pricepoint, hardly any harm done. I'll just have to make up my mind what size I want. Same goes for the finest and manchurian I want to try from FS :innocent:

Is the FS rather similar to The Bodyshop synthetic? That lathers well too, but stays quite pointy. I have to smush it while lathering to get it to load and fan out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are from left to right:

- regular 23 mm silvertip fibers
- regular 25 mm silvertip fibers

- two prototypes with an enlarged (beautiful!) handle at 25 x 56 and 55 mm

- a prototype with a flatter loft and a higher density

The prototypes have been kindly provided by mr Christian Muller of Muhle.
We had quite a good time designing the handles - which I still hope Muhle will produce regularly one day - and playing with the loft height and sizes.

At higher loft, these brushes are already phenomenally effective, but at lower loft their backbone is unbelievable.

As said, I think these fine brushes really shine as top quality synthetics.
I use them as everyday workhorses and they perform well with soaps, croaps and the occasional cream.

The tips of the new gen synthetics I am familiar with are soft and not prickly.
At lower lofts, they also provide ample backbone.
The splay some brushes need to function properly, or the 'middle ground' are not to everybody's liking.
The FS is no exception, it is a very effective knot that needs a bit of pressure to open up and afford for comfortable use.
I can live with the clumpiness with the FS, no problem at all.
It seems that FS has come up with the right knot size and proportions to effectively deal with that.

The Muhles do outperform the FS in my opinion, but the performance / price ratio of that brush is phenomenal indeed.
It impressive to see what mr Tang can do for under 30 euros.
Really amazing.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to read that Garry. I can only hope I don't run into the same problem. Still waiting on mine...

Thanks. But I also want to express my profound disappointment at not being able to read your review on it. I've been checking back for weeks now waiting for it... :-(

Regardless of the difficulties...if you do indeed manage to get one in a 28/54...I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with your $26 investment - it competes quite well with any brush selection in the $50 to $100 range - maybe not THE best, but certainly a consideration. In regards to brushes under $50 - it's pretty much a no-brainer.

With that said, in light of a number of issues many have had, I'm not sure I would venture to order another one myself at this point.

I have emailed Ian regarding his lack of quality control, lack of order accuracy and general lack of communication. The ball is in his court at this point to make things right. I'm hopeful he can somehow grasp the bigger picture here in regards to becoming a "go to" vendor for decent, economy brushes.

Thanks Tom. Well done reinforcing the issues with Ian. After all, the best kind of customers are like you and Garry, that let the vendor know about the issues so that they can be fixed.

I'm a bit disappointed with FS after reading Gary's post; I really hope that he can quickly resolve the issue, whether it's in the form of a refund or a replacement.

I ended up ordering a brush about 2 weeks ago and hope Ian can deal with the custom size prior to mine being shipped! It will be my first brush, and based on most people's reviews in this thread, I'm still somewhat excited. I won't be able to appreciate its finer features, not having other brushes to compare it with, but as long as it can produce decent lather, I'll be quite happy.

These are from left to right:

- regular 23 mm silvertip fibers
- regular 25 mm silvertip fibers

- two prototypes with an enlarged (beautiful!) handle at 25 x 56 and 55 mm

- a prototype with a flatter loft and a higher density

The prototypes have been kindly provided by mr Christian Muller of Muhle.
We had quite a good time designing the handles - which I still hope Muhle will produce regularly one day - and playing with the loft height and sizes.

At higher loft, these brushes are already phenomenally effective, but at lower loft their backbone is unbelievable.

What are the chances we see the brush on the right? (~25 mm knot, 55 loft, dense and flatter top with larger handle)
I'd love to order it.

What are the chances we see the brush on the right? (~25 mm knot, 55 loft, dense and flatter top with larger handle)
I'd love to order it.

+1! That looks like one heck of a nice brush. How is it in use?

I enjoy my shorter loft Muhle, but really wish for a denser brush when I use it.

Last edited:
It is a beauty indeed!

I sadly do not know whether Muhle is planning to make these designs anything of a production item.
Muhle have been a pleasure to deal with in making these bespoke items, and I am pretty sure that the Muhle management is open for suggestions and inquiries.

As a general impression, I think that we will see denser, lower lofted brushes in the near future.
A wider choice of knot shapes would be nice too; I found the flatter loft a pleasure to use.

Maybe we should ask Muhle for a limited production run?

Last edited:
Top Bottom