What's new

Signature King Gillette 1908 Single Ring, How Rare / Common Is It?

I view the signature razors as part of the corporate infighting between John J. Joyce and King Camp Gillette. The timing is right, according to http://books.google.com/books?id=YCldvmXq25EC&lpg=PA14&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false and the title juggling documented at Gillette_Timeline. It seems quite plausible that King C. Gillette wanted his signature to be the company logo, among other ideas, while Joyce resisted. Eventually King got the honorary title of President, but the diamond logo went into production and Joyce bought out Gillette's remaining shares in the company.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Is there a chance that this was the prototype for that model razor and the Gillette signature means it was from his personal collection? This handle is designed similar to the NEW from the 30's and 40's but a touch longer. This design handle took care of the cracking problem IIRC, if they had it in 1908 I am curious to know why didn't they use that design until 1930 (I have seen the ball and tube handles common in the 1910's and 1920's that crack routinely, they look drastically different than yours does)?

Also that head looks to be useable for shaving (if you dare shave with this very valuable razor) even with the slightly bent comb tine. I think you have a million dollar razor (literally) here if my guess is correct. Gillette may even buy it from you for insane amounts of $$$ if I am correct.

It would not be a prototype. They started making the Single Rings around 1906. As for the the teeth on mine, they are all straight. It is probably lens distortion that made it look as if one was bent. It really is in remarkable condition for a 104 year old razor and case.

I have no interest in selling it, but Gillette would have no interest in buying it either, as has become evident in this thread. - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/259848-King-Camp-Gillette-personal-memorabilia They don't seem to care about their history at all.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I view the signature razors as part of the corporate infighting between John J. Joyce and King Camp Gillette. The timing is right, according to http://books.google.com/books?id=YCldvmXq25EC&lpg=PA14&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false and the title juggling documented at Gillette_Timeline. It seems quite plausible that King C. Gillette wanted his signature to be the company logo, among other ideas, while Joyce resisted. Eventually King got the honorary title of President, but the diamond logo went into production and Joyce bought out Gillette's remaining shares in the company.

Thanks for posting that! :thumbup1:

I have wondered if it was something like, but lacked the historical knowledge to make a creditable case for the idea.

It would not be a prototype. They started making the Single Rings around 1906. As for the the teeth on mine, they are all straight. It is probably lens distortion that made it look as if one was bent. It really is in remarkable condition for a 104 year old razor and case.

I have no interest in selling it, but Gillette would have no interest in buying it either, as has become evident in this thread. - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/259848-King-Camp-Gillette-personal-memorabilia They don't seem to care about their history at all.
Connie, I agree. The owner of the memorabilia has been in a dead end chase with many resources including Gillette. He is now considering Ebay. What a shame to break up all that history.

This was the original theory about why these razors bear the stamp. I always preferred it above the others. It makes sense to me that the power struggles between these two men would explain why the stamp would have been introduced but then almost immediately stopped by Joyce. I would liked to have been a fly on the wall for that argument!

This was the original theory about why these razors bear the stamp. I always preferred it above the others. It makes sense to me that the power struggles between these two men would explain why the stamp would have been introduced but then almost immediately stopped by Joyce. I would liked to have been a fly on the wall for that argument!

Yes, an interesting theory and consistent with what I've read about the battle between the two.

I have to agree that it is in remarkable condition for its age. I was focusing on the handle design when I made my prototype comment but unfortunately I can't claim to be an expert. The razors I have seen from that era had a different handle design (that cracked easily where the ball end was press-fit into the hollow tube handle). Maybe the higher-cost razors had a different handle but this is the first I have seen of a pre-1910 razor with this handle design. Either way, you have a piece of history here that can be passed down to your children and grandchildren.

I will take a look at your linked thread shortly.

No probs--glad it found an excellent home. And imagine, finding out you had one already! Have been meaning to email you for ages, and will do. Did you try it out? I didn't, just in case :) What a strange conundrum these things are. Better you have it and keep on top of the history.

Further to our discussion of British patent numbers and US 'A' serial numbers check out the existence of some others in Jake's thread here.

My single ring serial number is B141689 / BR Pat. No. 28.763 of 02.

Anybody know how to clean the single ring razor? Mine is with some dark stains.

Best regards.

Welcome to B&B! That sounds like a UK razor, possibly an early Leicester product. Take a look at Safety_razor_maintenance on the wiki, and try the method described under "Silver and Silver-Plated Razors". Those dark stains sound like silver tarnish, and you should be able to remove them easily with that simple process.

Hi. I just picked this up off eBay. A serial number was not visible until after cleaning. I only have a signature on the cap. The number is A3749??. I noticed that another early number also is a "cap" only signature. I read something similar on another shave group.

Is is there something to read into this?

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom