What's new

Hones? What do I need to know?

Does there exist somewhere a primer of sorts on natural stones? JNats in particular? Maybe a chart of some kind for which stones are roughly which grits/stages of honing? What you'd need for a bevel setter, middle steps, finisher... (I've been searching without much luck)

Something about natural stones just intuitively makes me think it'd give a more smooth and natural feeling edge... kind of like the difference between analog and digital. Digital might be technically perfect, but analog sounds better due to it's imperfections...

Whether coticule or Jnat there is no real "grit" rating. I rather rate them by their hardness; the harder the faster and in essence higher grit.

I think we can work on what certain stones are considered harder than others and maybe different methods to hone with them.

Since posting this I have not stopped doing JNat homework and have a better understanding on how they work... Enough to know that I don't know anything! But enough to know that such a comparison graph can not ever exist... Believe it or not, the most helpful Jnat page I read was on coticule.be!

Since posting this I have not stopped doing JNat homework and have a better understanding on how they work... Enough to know that I don't know anything! But enough to know that such a comparison graph can not ever exist... Believe it or not, the most helpful Jnat page I read was on coticule.be!

That thread by JimR is awesome!

Whether coticule or Jnat there is no real "grit" rating. I rather rate them by their hardness; the harder the faster and in essence higher grit.

I think we can work on what certain stones are considered harder than others and maybe different methods to hone with them.

I believe this true for Japanese awasedo in terms of fineness, but I have not noticed any such patterns with the half dozen coticules I've used (nor has Bart, apparently).

Need a question answered If you would, please pm me with an answer. Can I use Chromium oxide paste (green squeeze bottle) as a slurry on my Norton water stones. Thanks to all who reply!!

Need a question answered If you would, please pm me with an answer. Can I use Chromium oxide paste (green squeeze bottle) as a slurry on my Norton water stones. Thanks to all who reply!!

Well, you COULD do anything you wanted, but I would not use a paste on a synthetic hone, especially a soft one. I would use a paste on a hard natural hone, preferably a less porous one, or a cheap one. If you have a Cnat or a slate hone, or a piece of balsa wood go for it.

I use CrOx on a balsa strop with good results. I got it from Whippeddog.com

Phil

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

I do not see why you would use a stone with a paste...

What happened to the video link with the guy doing half laps from the start on a coticule? Can you provide me with a link again? That was a good one IMO.

Luc

Staff member
What happened to the video link with the guy doing half laps from the start on a coticule? Can you provide me with a link again? That was a good one IMO.

I do not remember this video, if someone does, please post.

I do not remember this video, if someone does, please post.

Never mind. I found it. It's azmark's, under the "Honing Series: Coticule & Japanese Natural" heading. Sorry for the false alarm, but thanks for the quick response.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Never mind. I found it. It's azmark's, under the "Honing Series: Coticule & Japanese Natural" heading. Sorry for the false alarm, but thanks for the quick response.

Happy to help!

is there any way to get user input on films? which manufacturers, or where to buy? my google-fu must be weak, but I've only seen one page to buy, that I think Slash McCoy said was overpriced.

perhaps even a film sticky for neophites like me?

please and thank you.

Pyramid honing, regular progression, Ax honing method, Burr honing method, unicot, ..... :blink::confused1:confused1:crying: I'm a novice to straight razor honing and I'm pretty confused by this whole business. Could someone give a quick and dirty overview of all these methods with the pros and cons? That would be greatly appreciated.

Some natural hones such as coticules will not form a burr. Burr forming is only useful for setting the initial bevel using a relatively low grit synthetic stone or lapping film.

Sorry I can't give more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a DE shaver for ~6 months now, and I'm interested in maybe venturing into the straight razor world, but I'm not that familiar with sharpening/honing. I've sharpened kitchen knives with whetstones (1k and 5k grit), but I'm not sure my technique is refined enough to handle the much more delicate razor edges.

Is learning to hone adequately (I'm not looking to become a honemeister) as easy as it's made out to be?

Is learning to hone adequately (I'm not looking to become a honemeister) as easy as it's made out to be?

Yes. It just requires some patience and a beater razor or two to make all your mistakes on. You'll quickly learn from those and, in not too much time, be shaving off your own edges which is--undisputably--the most satisfying shave known to mankind!

Have fun on the journey! :badger:

Top Bottom