What's new

Same day dental implants

Anyone have input on these.I know the original method was to insert the female threaded half,wait 3 months for bone tissue to stabilize,then insert male threaded post and build tooth on top of the post.Is the same day insertion method "tried-and-true" yet ? Will it hold up to daily use ? just as good as original method or less strong and more prone to de-stabilize ?

As I am going through this process at the moment, I can tell you that the key to long term implant success is bone stability--which is why many times an oral surgeon will wait three months before actually implanting the post. If the bone is healthy (and there were no issues with tooth removal or any infection) then they will often implant the post same day, but the bone still needs 3 months to heal. From what is see of the same day process, it is used where there is no tooth currently at the site.

As the "same day" process is relatively new, it is of course not tried and true.

On a side note, my oral surgeon was telling me that implants (and not bridges) are now considered standard of care, so insurance companies are now starring to pick up more of the associated costs.

so....are you going toothless for 3 months,or wearing some sort of temporary device ? If you need a front tooth removed it's tough to go 3 months with a big hole in your smile...Iive east of the GG....and the Clearchoice big "chain" is really pushing same day implants , but they seem to be like a "western dental" that has 100's if not 1000's of claims against them...

Found out last week my #23 (Lower front next to the K9) is going to be pulled then 3-6 months install an implant after my root canal didnt fix the infection. :thumbdown

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm a month & a half in from the placement surgery for "traditional" implants. I had three put in in one excruciatingly long (not painful, just long time with you covered up like a burka with only your mouth showing) session. They dropped a tool somehow, a miniature driver bit I understand, which I of course swallowed. Concern that it would end up in a lung (bad) instead of the digestive tract ("This too shall pass") leads them to take me for x-rays. So, 5 hours after I showed up for the implants there's a doc from the clinic next door to the dental school telling me that the tool is in the lower GI, but I have issues with one lung. Which leads to me having to drive a disk with the xray pics across town (good thing I turned down the Prozac option) 60 miles to my oncologists' office .. who calls back the next day to tell me the problem with the lung is the old scar from the lung cancer ..

So, have lots of fun with the implants, will follow this in case I need another adventure in Prosthodontics ..

I'm a month & a half in from the placement surgery for "traditional" implants. I had three put in in one excruciatingly long (not painful, just long time with you covered up like a burka with only your mouth showing) session. They dropped a tool somehow, a miniature driver bit I understand, which I of course swallowed. Concern that it would end up in a lung (bad) instead of the digestive tract ("This too shall pass") leads them to take me for x-rays. So, 5 hours after I showed up for the implants there's a doc from the clinic next door to the dental school telling me that the tool is in the lower GI, but I have issues with one lung. Which leads to me having to drive a disk with the xray pics across town (good thing I turned down the Prozac option) 60 miles to my oncologists' office .. who calls back the next day to tell me the problem with the lung is the old scar from the lung cancer ..

So, have lots of fun with the implants, will follow this in case I need another adventure in Prosthodontics ..

gee....I thought Sicilians were prone to bad luck,but yours is a real masterpiece...thank god the scar was from something gone and not coming back...I hope the toilette gets the lost bit...good luck,and let us know how the final results go..

so....are you going toothless for 3 months,or wearing some sort of temporary device ? If you need a front tooth removed it's tough to go 3 months with a big hole in your smile...Iive east of the GG....and the Clearchoice big "chain" is really pushing same day implants , but they seem to be like a "western dental" that has 100's if not 1000's of claims against them...

I had Molar #19 removed (probably the most common tooth to lose) so I am going toothless. I needed a bone graft, so the site has to heal fully before my surgeon can make the implant. I'm going without any type of cover or cap-I'd just swallow it anyway.

In my opinion, I'd go for whatever method has the best outcome in terms of long term reliability and stability. For me, it is the traditional implant. I can live with a temporary gap if it means the tooth will last longer.

Also, there are slightly better outcomes for those who take antibiotics vs those who do not--but it is only a couple of percent.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
gee....I thought Sicilians were prone to bad luck,but yours is a real masterpiece...thank god the scar was from something gone and not coming back...I hope the toilette gets the lost bit...good luck,and let us know how the final results go..

Sicily is much like Ireland - a small island just across from an aggressive neighbor - both exported large numbers of people to the USA. In each case the imperial aggressor is now a minor country, but the refugees prosper

Sicily is much like Ireland - a small island just across from an aggressive neighbor - both exported large numbers of people to the USA. In each case the imperial aggressor is now a minor country, but the refugees prosper

Sicily fought for independance many times,so did Sardinia...but without success...

Top Bottom