What's new

Proraso white pre-shave and proraso white shave cream combo help

I have proraso sensitive shave cream, which I was getting great lather. Last night I added proraso sensitive pre shave to my shave. I wet my face, rubbed in the pre shave, and let it sit on my face while I created my lather. I applied the lather on my face (with a brush) over the pre shave and it seems the pre shave killed the lather. I didn't get rich thick lather, like I do when I didn't use the pre shave. The pre shave thinned it out, while I was applying. I have read on the boards that people love the pre shave by proraso and some wouldn't shave without it. Is it common that pre shave would diminish lather? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

P

pdillon

You need to wash the pre-shave off before you create your lather. This product is a pre & post cream. It is an excellent aftershave, but its value as a preshave is somewhat questionable. To use as a preshave, use it instead of soap for Kyle's prep: wet your face, rub in the cream, then hold a hot wet washcloth on your face for several minutes. Then wipe off all the cream. To use as an aftershave, rub directly on to your skin, or wet your skin first with water or (even better) witch hazel then rub it in.

If you do leave it one before you lather, use very little and rub it in well - you should barely be able to detect that it's there.

I do what Patrick (pdillon) recommends: rub it in, let it set, wipe it off. I used it instead of lather in Kyles Prep for a couple years; I've now moved to ~10 splashes of warm water before lathering, which successfully removes the pre-shave cream.

A pre-shave is supposed to help condition the beard hairs for easy removal, and (possibly) condition the skin for reduction of razor burn.

I think this is just proof that everyone uses products differently!
I use Proraso Pre-shave before every pass. I wet my face, rub in a small portion (in needs to be rubbed in quite well to work) let it sit for a minute, and lather right over it. I have never had it interact with my shaving soap lather. I am not a cream user so I can’t comment about that. I feel that it softens the hairs allowing the blade to slice through easier for a nicer shave. It also adds a great scent and cooling sensation that I really enjoy. As they say YMMV, do what works for you.

...........I wet my face, rub in a small portion (in needs to be rubbed in quite well to work) let it sit for a minute, and lather right over it. I have never had it interact with my shaving soap lather.

same here

I'm with kosby and silent; the preshave goes on EVERY pass. Have never had it destroy a lather. Maybe the fact that I mix my lather wetter (I like a heavier, moisture-rich lather) helps.

Couldn't imagine not using Proraso Pre EVERY shave; either colour, the old form and I have the new forms. They just work.

Thanks for all the responses. I may have used way too much. On tomorrows shave I'll try using a lot less of the product, and rub it in more. If this doesn't work, I'll try rinsing it off before applying the Proraso shave cream.

I used the Proraso green pre-shave for the first time today along with the Proraso red cream, again another first. I didn't wash off after applying the pre-shave and had no trouble with the lather. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't smell the sandalwood in the red due to the overpowering smell of menthol in the green pre shave. But that's another story.

Thanks for all the responses. I may have used way too much. On tomorrows shave I'll try using a lot less of the product, and rub it in more. If this doesn't work, I'll try rinsing it off before applying the Proraso shave cream.

You're right on track there, a little goes a long way and I forgot to mention that.

I use Proraso Pre-shave before every pass. I wet my face, rub in a small portion (in needs to be rubbed in quite well to work) let it sit for a minute, and lather right over it. I have never had it interact with my shaving soap lather. I am not a cream user so I can’t comment about that. I feel that it softens the hairs allowing the blade to slice through easier for a nicer shave. It also adds a great scent and cooling sensation that I really enjoy. As they say YMMV, do what works for you.

This is exactly how I have been using it.

I've been looking at ordering this stuff after my excellent expirences with Proraso Soaps, so I'm glad I saw this post!

I have proraso sensitive shave cream, which I was getting great lather. Last night I added proraso sensitive pre shave to my shave. I wet my face, rubbed in the pre shave, and let it sit on my face while I created my lather. I applied the lather on my face (with a brush) over the pre shave and it seems the pre shave killed the lather. I didn't get rich thick lather, like I do when I didn't use the pre shave. The pre shave thinned it out, while I was applying. I have read on the boards that people love the pre shave by proraso and some wouldn't shave without it. Is it common that pre shave would diminish lather? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The Proraso white preshave did nothing for me. I used the whole tub but couldn't wait for it to empty. I saw no gain from using it.

I've switched to a warm cloth then rubbing my face with a few drops of very inexpensive glycerin. This is working very well for me.

Whoa, another blast from the past!

$image.jpg

??? I leave the pre-shave in (it's not supposed to be washed off) and get a fabulous lather every time. I use the pre-shave from Prorasso all the time as my neck is quite sensitive and for me, it makes a big difference. But is your face wet? If you go in without enough water, then I can see issues happening?

Top Bottom