What's new

Boar Break-In

I received my Semogue Owner's Club Boar in Ash on Monday and performed my normal badger defunk/break-in procedure over the next couple of days. I used it today, and it worked great. However, I was made to understand boars require a couple weeks of soak and dry before the tips split and become usable.

So what gives? Will the tips just get even softer? Are the SOC's just great out of the box?

$IMAG0064.jpg

Whichever the case, I just hope it never loses its ability to completely destroy soap. 10 seconds on a Col. Conk gave me more lather than 60 seconds from any of my badgers...and it had way more cushion, too boot!

yes when you begin the break in the hairs will split making it even softer on your face but the same great backbone. I love my SOC! Enjoy.

Yes, they are great out of the box. Mind had next to No funk. Over the next 2-3 weeks, it will start to break in and the lather will start to flowthru better. The tips will all start to split and get much softer, while maintaining the large majority of its backbone. Yes, it will continue to destroy soaps. Then, one day, you'll use it and you'll think to yourself "WOW, its broke in. This brush is AWESOME!"

Then, if your like me, you'll order the SOC 2-Band to have a matching pair...and be double-happy!

Congrats on the brush, enjoy it!

tips will split and curl and get softer. Semogue's are really great out of the box. not sure what they do but their Boars have fans aplenty. They're just top notch from what I hear. I suggest a vinegar bath followed by moisturing shampoo for 5 mts then conditioner for 10 mts then let air dry. do this every 3-4 wks for the first 6 months. you'll be glad u did. remember, its still natural hair

I own this brush and absolutely love it. My 2nd favorite boar (2010 custom edges it out just a tad). It will get much better in time, but I will say, my SOC broke in faster than any other boar I''ve owned. Most of the Semogue brushes I've owned weren't even close to acceptable until a few weeks of use and didn't hit their stride until even later. The SOC was very usable right from the start.

Congrats and enjoy!

I own this brush and absolutely love it. My 2nd favorite boar (2010 custom edges it out just a tad). It will get much better in time, but I will say, my SOC broke in faster than any other boar I''ve owned. Most of the Semogue brushes I've owned weren't even close to acceptable until a few weeks of use and didn't hit their stride until even later. The SOC was very usable right from the start.

Congrats and enjoy!

I had exactly the same experience. The Owners Club was good right out of the box, the other three Semogue's I own took a few weeks to break in and work well.

I recently got both an SOC and a 610. Both were fantastic right out of the box. I kept reading about tips splitting and so was expecting some "scitchiness" until that happened. But I found the face feel very nice. Maybe just a bit "scrubby" but not "itchy" at all. After about 6 uses each I see no split ends yet on my SOC and just a few here and there on my 610.

Howdy. I tend to steer clear of the brushes forum lately (SBAD remission, you understand) but I have some... experience... with boars. Semogue in particular. You might call me a Semogue enthusiast.

In any case, not to step on any toes or speak over what's already been spoken, yes - boars to take some time to break in. I'm a firm believer that it's not just repeated use, but actual "cycles" of using the brush to lather and then allowing it to dry. The hairs will split at the tip, but the shaft of the hair remains in tact and will easily retain 90% of its original stiffness. The result is a tad less backbone, but much softer tips. I don't think a badger can compare. Also, because boar hairs are more coarse, the knot is relatively sparse, even in the more dense boars. I believe this leads to lather that is creamier and far less "whipped" than badger brushes produce, and I vastly prefer this lather.

To put a finer point on it, after around two weeks of using a boar for every other day or so, it should be noticeably improved over its original condition. This is the steepest portion of the break-in curve, but the brush is far from done. I'd say usually two to three months before it's "there".

To your other point about lathering efficacy, that's rarely a function of backbone in my opinion. I find most people who recommend extraordinarily long loading times are also loading with a very dry brush. I recommend leaving your brush more damp when loading. It can be a tad messy if you aren't careful, or if you leave the brush too wet, but I tend to load for 10 seconds tops and have lather for my two-pass + touchup shaves, and then some.

Enjoy!

I found my two semogues to be pretty good out of the box, but they just kept getting better and better with use. I can not speak to the soaking and drying as an aid to break in but I would just use it as is.

Got an Omega 49 about three weeks ago. The funk was gone in about two weeks, and now it seems to be really sucking up lather. Haven't used my badger best since getting this, I just seem to always be reaching for the boar. Hey, "Reach for the Boar" sounds like a good slogan. OK, I've been watching too many Mad Men reruns...

Got an Omega 49 about three weeks ago. The funk was gone in about two weeks, and now it seems to be really sucking up lather. Haven't used my badger best since getting this, I just seem to always be reaching for the boar. Hey, "Reach for the Boar" sounds like a good slogan. OK, I've been watching too many Mad Men reruns...

The Omega 49 is my third boar. The SOC and the 49 are darn near perfect brushes for whipping up tons of lather in my scuttle. I've used both of them, big as they are, to face lather and thought they were fine for that. But hard to beat what they can do with soap or cream and a nice bowl to swirl it around in.

Top Bottom