What's new

Why is this so addictive?

One month ago I was reading an article on shaving and a bunch of guys started blogging about DE shaving. I was certainly up for a change and ready to ditch the cartridges and chemical goop. So I ordered a Merkur 34C, brush, blades, etc. Little did I know how good this whole DE shaving would turn out to be. I can't wait to get out of bed and shave of a morning, it's gone from a chore to a highlight. I've ordered a new brush, A/S's, creams, lotions and am seriously considering a new razor. Every day I want to try something new and am boring the wife silly about shaving. My question is why is this so damn addictive??? Teabag - a new convert

Its many things:

1) Relatively inexpensive from many other hobbies we men usually enjoy
2) It's a form of pampering ourselves which we men usually don't enjoy
3) It's challenging
4) It's unique
5) It's fun

Now that I've answered your question from my experience, I encourage you to go place an order for that new razor.

:thumbup:

**Being PC, this is just answered from a perspective towards the OP - feel free to exchange women for men in any applicable statement

It is just sooooo much fun.
I am only 1 month into DE Shaving and I already have (4) Razors,(3) Shaving Creams,(6) After Shaves,(1) Pre-Shave Cream and other stuff. LOL

One month ago I was reading an article on shaving and a bunch of guys started blogging about DE shaving. I was certainly up for a change and ready to ditch the cartridges and chemical goop. So I ordered a Merkur 34C, brush, blades, etc. Little did I know how good this whole DE shaving would turn out to be. I can't wait to get out of bed and shave of a morning, it's gone from a chore to a highlight. I've ordered a new brush, A/S's, creams, lotions and am seriously considering a new razor. Every day I want to try something new and am boring the wife silly about shaving. My question is why is this so damn addictive??? Teabag - a new convert

Because it's something new to you. Me personally the obsession eventually died which I am glad because this can get really expensive. I don't get those that buy a ton of different DE shavers for one does all the work that I need done. Granted I do have two but that is a result of the obsession. Granted it comes in handy for a shaver for traveling. Also helps that it's one of the best shaves I ever had. I just wish I had the guts/time to go straight razor.

:cursing:
Just got a "talk" from the SWMBO complaining about me getting a custom made badger brush next month, when she's buying 2 external hard drives. And she complained about the Derby shavette I bought too.

:cursing:
Just got a "talk" from the SWMBO complaining about me getting a custom made badger brush next month, when she's buying 2 external hard drives. And she complained about the Derby shavette I bought too.

I would buy one external HDD 2TB with a raid 1. But that is just me. :-D

I don't get those that buy a ton of different DE shavers for one does all the work that I need done.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the block, but I believe you answered your own question two sentences later.

Also helps that it's one of the best shaves I ever had.

Personally, I started with a DE89 based on its reviews. It is a great shaver. Takes me 4 passes to get a great shave, and as a headshaver, almost 45 minutes to get it done. Because of the number of passes, I sometimes get irritation on my neck. When I started exploring other options, I found open combs to be more efficient for my face/head. I can now get the same result in a shave by my DE89 from my FaTip in 2 passes. Takes 20 min for both head & face. Less passes = less chance for irritation. If I never tried anything other than my DE89, I'd still be doing 4 passes (really 8 for both)...you get where I'm going.

I do, however, completely understand where you are coming from with those that own so many razors they often just sit unused. That does not make sense to me. That's just me though. It's a relatively cheap hobby that they enjoy and get satisfaction out of it. Those people that own 20, 30, 40+ razors would probably look in my garage and wonder why I need 6 motorcycles, 5 surfboards, multiple kiteboards/kites, etc, etc.

To each his own!!

It addictive because it's a new positive thing in your life! You don't have to have 10 razors, a million blades and all the creams, soaps and brushes but it's fun finding the best ones that work for you! It's great to come to the realization that multi-blade systems are a farce and a money making game. There was never anything wrong with DE shaving it's just that the men in the suits wanted more money and when DE blade patents ran out and anyone could make them, the multi-blade was the only way up! Today, with the power of the internet we can all learn the truth and more power to us. No more brainwashing and stupid sport star adds for multi-blades that cost the earth and ruin your complexion! Death to the multi-schmulti sucker blades! Long live DE!

If you are thinking of another razor, give a vintage Gillette razor a try, I think you will be pleased.

Welcome to the community. We have a great group of people here and it just gets better.

For me, it was talking something that I absolutely hated, and making it into something that I now enjoy.

For me, it was talking something that I absolutely hated, and making it into something that I now enjoy.

I agree with btg. Shaving was probably the worst part of my day. It was a miserable chore that tore up my face. Since switching to DE I actually look forward to shaving. And my face has next to no irritation as opposed to the previous massacre that would take place on my neck daily. As I said I have next to no irritation. For me the addiction is experimenting until I can get the completely irritation free shave. Once I have that I will be at peace with the world.

TeaBag --

First of all, welcome to B&B --glad to have you join us...

I expect Marty will be along directly, speaking of 'assimilation' and 'futile resistance' and such.

You're on a path to lifelong great shaves! Enjoy the ride.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom