What's new

Gentlemen I defer to your expertise

I bought this razor a couple weeks ago and have been trying to figure out it's age. I'm also curious to find out more about it. So far I've been unable to find any pictures of another razor with this particular handle so I'm wondering if this is the original handle or not. I have looked at several listings of gillette razor serial numbers that show when certain models were made and when certain logos were used but I'm not sure if the Canadian factory used the same serial number system or if the dates would be different. I would appreciate any help you guys could provide.

$razor1.jpg$razor2.jpg$razor3.jpg$razor4.jpg

I've seen pics of a "naked" ball end before - I believe those were only on some Canadian-made OT. Not commonly found!

Yes, it's a Canadian thin-handled ball-end Old Type, and they are relatively uncommon. Unfortunately, the Canadian serial numbers don't appear to line up with the American ones, and there isn't a good resource that I know of that lines them up with dates. The earliest ones appear to be prefixed with "PC" and then later they seem to have dropped the prefix and switched to straight numbers, but even that is just based on observations of example razors

My own personal best guess is that these were made in Canada during the time that the American Button Company was making the handles for Gillette's Pocket Edition sets (there are a few other uniquely Canadian handle styles like this one that are all solid brass), and that they stopped right around the time that Gillette came up with the standard tube-based ball-end handle.

I have a few of these, and one of them is pretty much identical to yours -- it has the "MADE IN CANADA" on the left in all caps (rather than in title case, "Made in Canada") and has the diamond logo on the right, and its serial number is 404543. It also has what appears to be a signature manufacturing defect with these handles, that I can see yours has as well: a scratch in the smooth band on the handle just above the ball that rises up from the ball to not quite half-way up the band.

Yes, it's a Canadian thin-handled ball-end Old Type, and they are relatively uncommon. Unfortunately, the Canadian serial numbers don't appear to line up with the American ones, and there isn't a good resource that I know of that lines them up with dates. The earliest ones appear to be prefixed with "PC" and then later they seem to have dropped the prefix and switched to straight numbers, but even that is just based on observations of example razors

My own personal best guess is that these were made in Canada during the time that the American Button Company was making the handles for Gillette's Pocket Edition sets (there are a few other uniquely Canadian handle styles like this one that are all solid brass), and that they stopped right around the time that Gillette came up with the standard tube-based ball-end handle.

I have a few of these, and one of them is pretty much identical to yours -- it has the "MADE IN CANADA" on the left in all caps (rather than in title case, "Made in Canada") and has the diamond logo on the right, and its serial number is 404543. It also has what appears to be a signature manufacturing defect with these handles, that I can see yours has as well: a scratch in the smooth band on the handle just above the ball that rises up from the ball to not quite half-way up the band.

As always a very well written and full of informative and insightful help. The Diamond logo came out in 1908-09.

MacDaddy (and everyone else) I really appreciate the help. I've spent more time than is probably sensible trying to figure out what this thing is but being so new to all this I have to keep researching other referenced things along the way to figure out what other people are talking about (and then of course I get sidetracked because I find something else that's interesting, might be too curious for my own good lol). Which in a way I do enjoy because I like learning about all this stuff and I'm sure it'll all come in handy eventually. Anyway, thanks again gentlemen.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

I'm glad to know that my handle has a "Signature Scratch". :tongue_sm

I think your best guess is pretty good. Mine came with a Gillette Empire Case (there are no patent dates on the bottom).

$Canadian Empire Set.jpg

$ABC Canadian 4.jpg

$ABC Canadian 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have two of these very razors - both with the signature scratch. Baffled me when I got the second one until Porter posted on here he had one with the same scratch.

I think they are FANTASTIC razors - solid hefty handles! No cracks will be showing up on these babies!

Top Bottom