What's new

TAOS-very dissapointed

I was all set to start my journey into wet shaving with my new DE razor that I ordered from TAOS on Friday (after every store in Dallas was out of stock). I placed my order a hair after 3:00 on Friday and paid the extra money for next day/overnight shipping. By 5:00 on Friday I had still not received a shipping confirmation. No worries, I figured I would get it later that night. I was anxiously awaiting my razor so I could practice over the weekend to avoid looking like hamburger today at work. No dice.

Here we are at 10:30 on Monday and I have still not received a shipping confirmation. I am going to assume at this point that their perception of overnight is 4 days and that if it ships today I will get it on Tuesday. :cursing: I fail to see how this is overnight shipping.

Since this is my first transaction with them I am very dissapointed to say the least. I could have spent the $20 it cost to ship on something else.

***Edit***
I just got off the phone wih them. I was told that any order placed after 2:00 PM wouldn't ship overnight due to their policy. They also don't deliver on the weekend. Ever. Period. The soonest I could have received this item would have been Monday if I placed my order before 2:00. As it stands now I am looking at tomorrow at the earliest.There was no offer to refund shipping or send any samples. Nothing. I guess I have had my first and last experience with purchasing from TAOS online.

Last edited:
call or email them, i bet they refund you some shipping money or send you something else out in response, could be any number of reasons it happened, give them a chance to make it right, thats where you will see if they are good to deal with or not

every vender has things happen, the ones who do something about it to make the customer happy are the ones that are worth your time and money

call or email them, i bet they refund you some shipping money or send you something else out in response, could be any number of reasons it happened, give them a chance to make it right, thats where you will see if they are good to deal with or not

every vender has things happen, the ones who do something about it to make the customer happy are the ones that are worth your time and money

Great advice and outlook!

I have found that a majority of our venders are relatively small operations and they take a lot of pride in their service. They are all very good to work with and they do make things right. My bet is there is a very good reason that your order has had some problems. Give them a chance to make you happy for sure.

If they hae a phone line, it is always good to call. Web transactions are sometimes done in batches.

I've been caught in the weekend delay, too. I've ordered on Thursday hoping to get a Friday delivery only to get it the next Tuesday. Priority USPS would have been faster. Now, I just place the order and let it take its time. It is much less stressful and I sometimes get the items quickly. UPS delivers overnight to me for regular shipments if the item is from Kansas City (200 miles away). I've ordered at 4:00 pm and received at 10:00 am the next day. Just have to be pure of heart, I guess.

EDIT: While I was composing this masterpiece, others chimed in with basically the same advice. Give them a call. AOS is NOT a small business (P&G) and they will make things right if there was a screw up. That's what is nice about the big guys. I've returned razors to AOS three weeks after delivery (Christmas present) due to MFR defects.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone wih them. I was told that any order placed after 2:00 PM wouldn't ship overnight due to their policy. They also don't deliver on the weekend. Ever. Period. The soonest I could have received this item would have been Monday if I placed my order before 2:00. As it stands now I am looking at tomorrow at the earliest.There was no offer to refund shipping or send any samples. Nothing. I guess I have had my first and last experience with purchasing from TAOS online.

That's too bad. Was it clearly stated as you went through the checkout process? (I doubt it or it sounds like you would've waited with hopes to get it next weekend)

While we are at it, would you mind sharing what razor you purchased?

That's too bad. Was it clearly stated as you went through the checkout process? (I doubt it or it sounds like you would've waited with hopes to get it next weekend)

While we are at it, would you mind sharing what razor you purchased?

I brought that exact point up with the woman I spoke with and was told hat it is unfortunate that they don't prevent customers from selecting that shipping option at checkout if it won't happen like Amazon or others. C'est La Vie! I'm already over it. I will have to wait until Wednesday to get everything now that I am going to get on the merry-go-round with UPS and will need to wait for the item to be returned and pulled from the truck so i can stop by and pick it up on my way home from work on Wednesday. That's what I get for being impatient in the first place.

I bought the heavy weight chrome razor as I have heard nothing but good things about them. I think it is a Merkur HD, at least it looks a lot like one. So far the sandalwood shave cream has surpassed my initial expectations but that is still with the Gillette Fusion. Let's see how it holds up to a DE shave.

i'm not sure why you're having a moan at TAOS when their website quite clearly explains the times for orders & delivery etc and the fact that anything after 3pm will be dispatched on the next business day (weekends are generally not condidered as business days as they are not bacs processing days).

https://www.theartofshaving.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-TAOS-Site/default/CustomerService-Show

i just dont think it's right to post negative comments about a company when it is infact your own fault for not doing some basic research about their shipping policies, especially when ordering late in the day.

Lessons to be learnt from this i'd say.....

In Op's defence, you have to actually seek that information out. It says nothing about it while you're working the order and does nothing to prevent you from placing a one-day shipping order after 3pm.
While he may be at fault for not doind due diligence, you shouldn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to know if your order is valid.

In Op's defence, you have to actually seek that information out. It says nothing about it while you're working the order and does nothing to prevent you from placing a one-day shipping order after 3pm.
While he may be at fault for not doind due diligence, you shouldn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to know if your order is valid.

While I agree that you have to seek that information out, I wouldn't place an order at 3 PM on a Friday and expect that it would be shipped that same day before checking. Any business with a next day delivery has terms for delivery. Lets say the deadline is noon, or 12 PM. Is it noon EST or PST? Makes a difference

In my opinion, they didn't do anything wrong. It's not like they singled out the OP

EDIT: I just checked. It took me less than 10 seconds to find the appropriate page on their website. No sherlock holmes skills required

Last edited:
Like any other online retailer, there should be a calculated ETA or disclaimer where you select your shipping option. It's too bad they didn't offer to make it right.

My point exactly. I think that consumers have developed a certain expectation from online retailers providing consistency in transaction processing. Not having to do ANY Sleuth work to know when I will reveive my order falls into that category. This is the only company that I have had this experience with and I order from many online reailers. Next day should mean just that. I place regular orders through 3- online stores late in the day on Friday and get them by 11 AM the next morning unless it is a holiday.

Last edited:
I, as a consumer, have developed an expectation to find easily "Contact Us", "Shipping & Return", "Customer Care", FAQ, "About Us", "Ordering and Delivery", or something similar before placing an order with any online store, if I don't know their rules.

While I agree that you have to seek that information out, I wouldn't place an order at 3 PM on a Friday and expect that it would be shipped that same day before checking. Any business with a next day delivery has terms for delivery. Lets say the deadline is noon, or 12 PM. Is it noon EST or PST? Makes a difference

In my opinion, they didn't do anything wrong. It's not like they singled out the OP

EDIT: I just checked. It took me less than 10 seconds to find the appropriate page on their website. No sherlock holmes skills required

I would never expect that "next day" service included weekends, it's usually "next working day".

If the delivery service selected is known to deliver Saturdays, then I'd expect any Friday next day delivery before COB to make it to me Saturday. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I'd also expect there to be an error message saying "you have made a next day selection that will not arrive until xxxx. Do you wish to proceed?" I don't think that's unreasonable either.
Neither is it unreasonable to have shipping details on the shipping page rather than the contact us page.

If the delivery service selected is known to deliver Saturdays, then I'd expect any Friday next day delivery before COB to make it to me Saturday. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Let's say I would be pleasantly surprised to get a Saturday delivery, but not disappointed if it only showed up on Monday.

If you order something at 3:00 on a Friday, and expect to see it Saturday, then I don't know what to tell you. This is not typically how it works in reality. I own and operate an online retail site with my partner for our industry. We have an expedited shipping option. If you select overnight, and place the order on a Friday afternoon, you're getting a call or an email from us that says no way Jose. It's simply unresonable to expect that. Noon, 1, or even 2pm is a different story. 3? are you kidding? how much did you pay for overnight shipping? I can tell you UPS charges me $50+ inside of CA for over night on a weekend with a 6"x6"x6" box 1lb or less and I have an account with them

If you didn't bother to call to make sure you could get your stuff on time, thats your fault.

If you ordered from me and wanted overnight, it wouldnt happen. not because Im lazy, but because its usually not possible to pack the products and get it shipped in time before they close. I use 3 carriers to avoid mishaps as well. Its so easy to just click a mouse and expect things to fall in your lap these days, but there are people working their butts off to make that actually happen.

my point is, like was already mentioned, is most of these places are small time. Not all websites and hosts have the option to finely detail and prevent certain things when the customers order, but thats what the terms of service are for. I am seeing more and more entitlement from people and just throwing tantrums for no reason. Not every company is huge with tens, hundreds or thousands of employees.

if you would have actually got the items saturday, would you have bothered to post the good news? I doubt it. Your complaint is sheer lunacy. Sorry for being such an A-hole, but vendors get beat up by people that have no idea whats actually involved in running businesses like this. theres usually never someone waiting around for a call so they can stuff something in a box and run down to the post office. If you cant be bothered to order the stuff you need on time, how could you possibly complain about an order not getting filled for OVERNIGHT ON FRIDAY AT 3PM?

If the delivery service selected is known to deliver Saturdays, then I'd expect any Friday next day delivery before COB to make it to me Saturday. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I'd also expect there to be an error message saying "you have made a next day selection that will not arrive until xxxx. Do you wish to proceed?" I don't think that's unreasonable either.
Neither is it unreasonable to have shipping details on the shipping page rather than the contact us page.

UPS doesn't normally deliver on Saturdays, and when they do, there is a large fee for doing so. Business days, for delivery services, are universally considered to be Monday-Friday.

Top Bottom