What's new

Shapton

Are the Shapton GlassStone a good investment?
Looking at the 500/1000/6000 set or the 1000, 4000, 8000.

My plan is to use them for both razor and kitchen knifes.

/Wik

Absolutely. I'm still learning mine, but when things click I get a really nice edge. I used to shave off the 8k+CrOx, and while I would have to give it another try to compare it to my shaves now, it was my first successful honing setup.

They are great for kitchen knives too, I bought mine for that purpose initially. They cut very fast and leave a long lasting edge.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
GlassStones are super cool stones. They may look insubstantial, but they last a long time. Haven't put a dent in mine after many years with primarily knife work. The 500 and 1K are pretty similar, so I'd opt for the 1/4/8K set.

They are awesome stones, work on anything you throw at them, even the fanciest of the new super-steels like M4, M390, ZDP189 & what not.

I'd go 1/4/8K

Mainly because for razors you do want a smaller jump then 1-6 & also something higher then 6K

8K glass is not something that gives a very smooth shave. At east use someCrOx afterwards.

Agree with the above. The Glass stones are a good set of stones, so are the Pro's for that matter (slightly prefer them for razors).

I would suggest getting some CrO on balsa as a finishing step, or add an extra stone in the 12-15k range.

With the insane mark-up from EU dealers & the current relatively favorable SEK to USD ratio, I'd look into a US dealer.

My own two favorite stone-pushers are jendeindustries & chefknivestogo.

Whom ever you choose, make sure they are authorized Shapton dealers, that way you can be certain that all warranties are legit of in the the odd chance you are gonna need it.

I would go to Harrelson Stanley, the exclusive distrubutor for North America of Shapton Stones, and has been since day one with the company.
http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/sharpening.htm
Although we do not see or here from him on any of these forums Harrelson is an amazing font of knowledge who has been in the craft industry as a leader since before some of us here were born. Alx

Howard at The Perfect Edge also sells Shaptons and he is an awesome guy that is literally obsessed with honing. I suggest you give him a call and get his advice on what stones to buy.

Agree with the above. The Glass stones are a good set of stones, so are the Pro's for that matter (slightly prefer them for razors).

I would suggest getting some CrO on balsa as a finishing step, or add an extra stone in the 12-15k range.

Shipping from Jende to Europe is much cheaper than anything I've seen from the US. Jende is an official authorized Shapton dealer, not to mention the guy can hone extremely well.

Top Bottom