What's new

FaTip Piccolo or R41??

Ok,

I'm going to try this again.

My experience with the 1904 was short lived. Beautiful razor, way too mild for my liking. I've become a slant-aholic, but still have a thirst for the OC. (See what I did there?)

Anyhow, which one to choose? Assuming that I was not going to change the handle to a bulldog...which one would be more sought after.
I know the R41 looks wonderful and apparently shave quite effectively when the correct angle is use.

I know the finish on the FaTip's seems a little underwhelming, but there's something intriguing about this razor. Maybe it's the idea of this "plain-jane" razor delivering a magnificent shave. Plus, I love the sound of the word "Piccolo". Admittedly, my wife is Italian, so maybe I am bias in wanting to try the FaTip.

Anyhow, I love the slant because of blade gap...it seems to click with my skin. So much so, that to keep my 39c company, I have a 37c on it's way as well. But I don't want to just have Merkur's sitting around my den, speaking German. The last thing I need is to get my mother in my den to translate. But keep in mind, I am moving from a razor that is 100+ grams. (This is why I am thinking Piccolo for the FaTip option. More weight than the Grande version.)

Perhaps one day I will make my way up to that Joris Palladium sprial handled razor....my oh my.

Have at er' boys.

Brad

ok,

i'm going to try this again.

My experience with the 1904 was short lived. Beautiful razor, way too mild for my liking. I've become a slant-aholic, but still have a thirst for the oc. (see what i did there?)

anyhow, which one to choose? Assuming that i was not going to change the handle to a bulldog...which one would be more sought after.
I know the r41 looks wonderful and apparently shave quite effectively when the correct angle is use.

I know the finish on the fatip's seems a little underwhelming, but there's something intriguing about this razor. Maybe it's the idea of this "plain-jane" razor delivering a magnificent shave. Plus, i love the sound of the word "piccolo". Admittedly, my wife is italian, so maybe i am bias in wanting to try the fatip.

Anyhow, i love the slant because of blade gap...it seems to click with my skin. So much so, that to keep my 39c company, i have a 37c on it's way as well. But i don't want to just have merkur's sitting around my den, speaking german. The last thing i need is to get my mother in my den to translate. But keep in mind, i am moving from a razor that is 100+ grams. (this is why i am thinking piccolo. More weight than the grande.)

perhaps one day i will make my way up to that joris palladium sprial handled razor....my oh my.

Have at er' boys.

Brad

fatip

I like both but prefer the R41 slightly more. If you're not going to change handles then I would suggest the FaTip Grande, the Piccolo handle is just too small IMO, it's tiny and it was literally causing me discomfort and making the handling of the razor a bit precarious.

Here is a hastily snapped pic of the Piccolo handle (middle) compared to a standard R41 handle (right) and a ball end tech. (left)

$piccolo.jpg

Aye, I knew what Piccolo meant, I just didn't think it would be that small. No worries though since I really just wanted the head, I slapped a BRW handle on it and all is well. Good luck with whatever you choose and I hope you enjoy it!

Brad, you need to get both as they are fairly inexpensive and then that will settle things; first-hand experience! Good luck and be careful with the R41! Hee hee.

My face rank as follows
37C - Just clean up my face to a BBS very gently.
R41 - The wild and crazy. You know you're taking away things from your face and it's fun all the way.
Fatip Piccolo - It's kinda cute and gives me a good shave without any special emotions.
Handle on 37C and Piccolo is the same lenght but 37C is a bit thicker. So it gives me a slightly better grip. R41 same as 37C but longer. But I don't like it for onereason. It feels a bit slippery.

I had a R41 and currently own a FaTip Grande so I can only speak to these two. I really like the R41 and its reputation is well deserved. The audible and tactile feedback you get from the R41 is amazing which helps one to achieve a close shave. But I inevitably gave up the R41 because every now and then it would give me a very irritating shave. I'm sure that this is an experience thing but since I like to rotate razors and try different things, this became a problem. I've also moved away from "BBS" to "DFS" shaves.

I've found the FaTip Grande to be a really nice OC shaver. It is a smooth shaver that has always been irritation free. The chrome plating is a bit lacking, yes, and you have to be careful when tightening it to align the blade correctly. For the price, it's a steal. And Bull Goose now sells it which is convenient.

My vote would be for a FaTip but YMMV. It all depends on what kind of shaving experience you're looking for.

I'm excited to try the FaTip. I had no idea the Piccolo handle was so small based on it's weight, guess its good it will have the Tradere handle with it.

Top Bottom