What's new

Merkur Future set on 6 and a Feather blade..... goodness

So I hadn't shaved for a couple weeks and had a good growth; in answer to the growth I took a nice hot shower and then proceeded to make my lather with boiling water and DR Harris Lavendar. I took a first pass with the Future set on 6 using a Ball end Tech to sculpt the beard/moustache area, and I finished by putting the Future on 2 and going cross grain with a little buffing around my chin with the Ball end Tech. I put on some Master's Bay Rum as a finishing touch.

A Great Shave, and it felt so fresh when I was done.

Dave

Your a brave man Dave!! Futur on 6 is a ton of gap ill have to try this havnt been passed 4 yet lol

Futur on 6+ with a Feather is as close to a straight razor as you can get. A truly phenomenal shave. It has to be tried to be believed.

On another thread, someone asked if there was a razor that was more aggressive than the R41. I couldn't think of 1 of the time but now that I've read this thread, I know that the vision and the futur set at their maximum settings are equal or superior in aggressiveness to the r 41.

I have both the new R41 Grande and the Vision 2000. With the Vision's mouth wide open - I still have to give the nod to the R41 in terms of aggressiveness. I'm guessing it's due more to the actual blade angle of the R41 versus the open gap of the Vision 2000. Both the Merkur and the Muhle are great shavers - great choice!

A gutsy move, Dave. I rarely go beyond 4 on mine. And with a Feather, yet.

But, if you pay attention to what you're doing I imagine it would give a great shave without serious injury.

I have a Futur and R41 and I think the R41 beats the Futur on 6 in terms of aggressiveness.

I have both but have only used the R41 a few times. So far I have to agree w/ Samjax - probably blade angle is more the factor here. I'm still figuring out the R41 - too much skipping going on.

I start with a hot shower, then I boil water and put in a clear glass mug for using as my water to start my lather and to dip my razor into after rinsing with the faucet. I only turn on the faucet when I am rinsing the razor so I can hear the blade sing. Shaving for me uses seeing, hearing, and feeling what I am doing to keep from turning my face into hamburger.

Dave

I have both but have only used the R41 a few times. So far I have to agree w/ Samjax - probably blade angle is more the factor here. I'm still figuring out the R41 - too much skipping going on.

Blade angle, blade angle, blade angle. People are go from either the cap or the comb and turn it until you can feel the blade. Which extreme will you be?

Now that you've tried that Futur at 6, you need to try it in the 7 to 12 range.

I'm seriously trying to understand why you'd do this. I use it on 4 and can consistently get a 2-pass BBS. While I get a higher-risk shave set at 6, I still have to do 2 passes...so I can't say it's better and certainly not more relaxed. I know beards are different & YMMV, but I suspect that there's a point of diminishing returns for everyone. So I'd love to hear from someone who has done this as to what benefit you get set at 12 over 6. I'll give anything a try if there's a good rationale.

Last edited:
I'm seriously trying to understand why you'd do this. I use it on 4 and can consistently get a 2-pass BBS. While I get a higher-risk shave set at 6, I still have to do 2 passes...so I can't say it's better and certainly not more relaxed. I know beards are different & YMMV, but I suspect that there's a point of diminishing returns for everyone. So I'd love to hear form someone who has done this as to what benefit you get set at 12 over 6. I'll give anything a try if there's a good rationale.

Cuz all the cool kids are doing it.

Cranked it up to a 6 tonight nice exfollation!!! BBS Been using the R41 for a pretty good while since the last time I picked up the Futur, didn't seem quite as aggressive as it used too. I feel the freshness Dave!! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom