What's new

Travel Strop/carry box thing

I found a 3x8 mahogany box online for ~$15.00. It will hold two razors and my small bottle of blade oil quite well.

I'm thinking of buying a strip of strop quality leather from the local leather shop and glueing it on the back. It won't have the same "spring" of a proper box or paddle strop, but I'm rarely away from my house for more than a week. Would a week's worth of stropping on that surface cause harm to my razor's edge?

I'd use a piece of balsa sanded down smooth as a backing then glue it to your box. It should work quite well I'd think.

Good thought. I'll do that.
The only way to know if it will work is to use it. So for the next week, it's one razor and nothing but stropping it on the box and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Done.
proxy.php

I flipped the latch over so it would be well below the stropping surface.

proxy.php

Holds my travel razors well.

proxy.php

I glued a 1/16 sheet of balsa to the bottom and my leather to that. It's a pretty bland gray, but that is what my local leather maker had in scrap and I'm not too picky.

Last edited:
Thanks.

My Hart Steel seems to be the most picky for me to strop so I decided to use it for my week long test. I just shaved.
Before I shaved the Hart would pop hairs. Usually I do 25-30 laps on linen and then 50-60 laps on leather of my hanging strop. Since there is no linen on my travel box and it is shorter than my hanging one, I did 100 laps on the box. After I stropped it the Hart still popped hairs.

I shaved and my razor preformed like it always does. After, I did 100 laps on the box and razor will pop a hair. So far so good.

I used to strop with my strop flat on the counter and it worked fine, so I dont see why yours shouldnt work long term. Looks great!

Very cool. Is that box available anywhere online, or was it a one-off find somewhere?
Online. Less than $20.
Van and Company. They are in RI. The inside needed some sanding. They will laser etch it too.

Last edited:
Done.
proxy.php

I flipped the latch over so it would be well below the stropping surface.

proxy.php

Holds my travel razors well.

proxy.php

I glued a 1/16 sheet of balsa to the bottom and my leather to that. It's a pretty bland gray, but that is what my local leather maker had in scrap and I'm not too picky.

Good project :)

Top Bottom