What's new

Recommendations before paying too much for straight razors.

Gentlemen,
I am brand new to straight razor shaving. Getting a "real" barbershop shave was on my bucket list, so I found a local barber that could do it.It was fun but cost me $40.00. Once was enough. I decided to learn how to do itmyself. And I did.

My biggest accomplishment is not having cut myself so bad that I bledout on the bathroom floor. It's really not all that hard and a heck of a lot offun. That's the good news.

The bad news is that buying straight razors can be addicting. Adding to the problem, Bill Gate invented computers and some kid thought upE-Bay. That is a deadly combination; especially for me. I have too much money(when Momma isn't watching) and too few brains. I am afraid I have been takento the cleaners. But as the saying goes; "fool me once, shame on you, foolme twice, shame on me."

BOTTOM LINE: I would really like some help/advice before I throw good moneyafter bad.

I just bought a Filarmonica. I had been looking "online" and on E-bay and saw the darn things priced at almost a ThousandDollars, so I figured for them to cost that much, they must be one of the beststraight razors out there. So I bought one - paid $300.00. This morning I spoketo my first straight razor enthusiast. He told me a Filarmonica is not worthspit. And he seemed very knowledgeable about straight razors. I also bought aPuma and paid another $300.00. I was afraid (embarrassed) to even ask aboutthat one!!!

Realizing that any responses will be subjective, I would really like someadvice. In a couple of days I will bid on what I think are several high endstraight razors. I do not mind paying the money if the razors are worth theprice. But I don't want to get taken again. I am going to be in enough troubleonce my wife finds out how much I have already spent!!!

Here are my specific questions:

1. Filarmonica. I bought a sub-cero for$300.00. How bad did I get screwed?

2. Puma. I bought a 1 5/8 Puma for$325.00. Did I get screwed?

3. Is Wade-Butcher a really good razor? I found a vintage Wade-Butcherwith real ivory scales. Photos look like the razor is in excellent condition tobe over 100 years old. Is $500.00 too much to spend?

4. A Theirs-Issard "singing" razor, compared to a Theirs-Issard7/8. Like the Wade-Butcher, both razors look to be in excellent condition fortheir age. They have been used, but the blades and scaleson both look spotless in the photos. The seller claims both razors are "almost"Mint. Of course being "almost" Mint is like being just "alittle" pregnant! Which razor is the best value (best razor)? Is $500.00too much to spend for either one of them (I would not buy both).

5. Is Theirs-Issard really one of the very best razors out there?

I want to thank you in advance for any suggestions/comments.As stated previously, I understand any responses would be subjective and basedon personal experience. But I have NO experience so I will take any advice Ican get. Frank

If you are happy with what you got, and your RAD isn't taking food out of your kids' mouth/s, I wouldn't worry too much about what you paid for these razors.

Just enjoy them, you got some top end stuff.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think you probably did OK depending on the condition. 500.00 is a lot for a WB IMO, but if you like it it might be worth it to you. Depending on the model 500.00 for a TI sounds high too.

Any pics?

I would pass on the W&B and TI, they can be had for less.

The Filarmonica and Puma might have been a bit on the high side, but if they are in Mint or excellent condition, both brands being very collectable you didn't do too bad. Even if you decide you don't like them they should hold their value quite well assuming the condition is there.

Your friend who said Filarmonica is not worth spit may be uninformed on the particular brand, they are highly regarded blades by most despite having cheap plastic scales. They go for big bucks (The Large NOS ones anyway).

To be honest, I would get the two you already have honed up professionally and start there, they are both fine razors and you might be challenged to find better ones.

Either way you decide to go about it, good luck!

Gentlemen,
I am brand new to straight razor shaving. Getting a "real" barbershop shave was on my bucket list, so I found a local barber that could do it.It was fun but cost me $40.00. Once was enough. I decided to learn how to do itmyself. And I did.

My biggest accomplishment is not having cut myself so bad that I bledout on the bathroom floor. It's really not all that hard and a heck of a lot offun. That's the good news.

The bad news is that buying straight razors can be addicting. Adding to the problem, Bill Gate invented computers and some kid thought upE-Bay. That is a deadly combination; especially for me. I have too much money(when Momma isn't watching) and too few brains. I am afraid I have been takento the cleaners. But as the saying goes; "fool me once, shame on you, foolme twice, shame on me."

BOTTOM LINE: I would really like some help/advice before I throw good moneyafter bad.

I just bought a Filarmonica. I had been looking "online" and on E-bay and saw the darn things priced at almost a ThousandDollars, so I figured for them to cost that much, they must be one of the beststraight razors out there. So I bought one - paid $300.00. This morning I spoketo my first straight razor enthusiast. He told me a Filarmonica is not worthspit. And he seemed very knowledgeable about straight razors. I also bought aPuma and paid another $300.00. I was afraid (embarrassed) to even ask aboutthat one!!!

Realizing that any responses will be subjective, I would really like someadvice. In a couple of days I will bid on what I think are several high endstraight razors. I do not mind paying the money if the razors are worth theprice. But I don't want to get taken again. I am going to be in enough troubleonce my wife finds out how much I have already spent!!!

Here are my specific questions:

3. Is Wade-Butcher a really good razor? I found a vintage Wade-Butcherwith real ivory scales. Photos look like the razor is in excellent condition tobe over 100 years old. Is $500.00 too much to spend?

4. A Theirs-Issard "singing" razor, compared to a Theirs-Issard7/8. Like the Wade-Butcher, both razors look to be in excellent condition fortheir age. They have been used, but the blades and scaleson both look spotless in the photos. The seller claims both razors are "almost"Mint. Of course being "almost" Mint is like being just "alittle" pregnant! Which razor is the best value (best razor)? Is $500.00too much to spend for either one of them (I would not buy both).

I want to thank you in advance for any suggestions/comments.As stated previously, I understand any responses would be subjective and basedon personal experience. But I have NO experience so I will take any advice Ican get. Frank
1... i would pay that for a nice fili..
2.... if it is perfect that is a tad high but acceptable..
3....yes they are.... but don't spend 500$ on one... there are cheaper to be found...
4....500$ is too much for a TI... you can get a custom made to your specs for cheaper....
5... TI are great... but everything is YMMV...

who ever told your fili's aren't worth spit is someone i wouldn't really listen to..... no offense but they are recognised and prised as excellent razors/shavers.... Doc226 loves his and mine is on the way from spain... *(and i paid no where near 300... i paid half that)...

The wade and butcher isn't worth $500 maybe $120 in excellent shape but deals are to be had. If you don't need it perfect I am sure you can find one around $100
Fili and puma are quite good razors a bit high for starting but still a good deal not like you spend 100$ on a gold dollar

The TI/WB I would pass on if you patient enough you can find them for much cheaper

There is no best razor out there, you just gotta keep trying and you'll find one that works with you eventually. I try to limit myself to under $50 per razor just so I don't put all my eggs in one basket when making my collection

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My personal opinion, I wouldn't spend that much money on either of them. Yes they are good razors, yes they are fantastic to shave with, but, you can get something for a lot less money that will also be great to shave with. I had straights that I did not pay much for and others that I did. Bottom line, I use them all, I have my preferences but my most expensive isn't my top razor...

My advice would be to buy something in the Marketplace, you would get a better deal over there.

This morning I spoketo my first straight razor enthusiast. He told me a Filarmonica is not worthspit.

First off Filis are great, at DT 14 is worth $300 if the condition is there, it would help if you posted pictures.

1. I don't know sub-cero, how large is the blade?
2. Puma are well regarded, a 5/8 for $325, is a tad high unless it is NOS or close to it.
3. W-B are very good, for $500 if better be 8/8 or large and in good condition-ivory is always nice.
4. TI are fantastic shavers, I have a Sheffield one that I have 10 shaves on it and still going strong
5. TI are great, I got mine for a lot less than $500.

What ever you decide to get get it professionally honed-I am not a honemesiter but play one on this board. I would be happy to hone up whatever you get for the cost of shipping.

I agree with Luc, you may pay a little more but you can usually bet on better quality here than on the bay.

Wade and Butchers are my favorite and I have several. $500 is not entirely out of line for a very good quality 8/8 "for barbers use". However if you watch you can find high quality ones from $300 to $400. Other models such as 8/8 "celebrated" you can get for $150 to $250. I wouldn't start with these big blades. 5/8 WB of good quality can be early found for $40 to $80.

If they are in excellent condition you will have no trouble retrieving your money. The two razors you have bought are very good but go into a holding pattern and do some homework now and enjoy the shaves from them and figure out what you like and don't like about both so you can apply that to your future purchases.

I don't know much about the razors but I would love to shave with a Filarmonica. I started with a Dovo that was less than $100 and seems to shave great. Even the fancy Dovos can be found for a touch over $100. They seem to get great reviews as well. W-B have an awesome look but I would not pay that much for one. See them on the BST for much less. May not be flawless but the age adds character IMHO

If all you are looking for is a good daily shaver you should be able to get one for $20 plus shipping, $40 tops. If you are looking for works of art that can also be daily shavers then let your conscience be your guide. Besides spending it what is money good for? Wiping your, uh... nose is about all.

So what you spend your money on is your concern. Some of us like to collect and shave with nice-looking razors. I have only rarely bought razors that cost more than $150, but I'm pretty patient. And I don't have a Puma or a NOS Filarmonica.

Have fun!

Wow, outta my league. I've got 20-30 razors all for less than 30 bucks each, all providing me with great shaves. Given the thread's topic line, all the talk of multiple hundreds of dollars for a hunk of steel for a new straight shaver...I guess I can't just sit by and encourage the spending of that kind of cash, potentially for him to find out he doesn't like it.

Maybe I just feel the need for someone to hold up this end of the spectrum a bit to add balance. Were you taken to the cleaners? For those specific razors, maybe/maybe not. But were you buying stuff way beyond what you needed to get a fantastic shave? Yup.

The fili is in the ball park. I paid just a tad more than that for a very nice one. However, it is just a razor and you can get one just as good, but without the name, for a LOT less.

The Puma is overpriced (IMHO). I got one for $85 after some looking. It had been used very little if at all. They usually go high but look around.

You are tossing around $500 prices and for half that or even less you can get some very good NOS razors that are top of the line.

I am one that thinks some Ti razors are overpriced but your ADs will dictate some of this. I have had two Ti razors and both were just OK. The first was sent back because of a defect in the scales.

And, of course, YMMV

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You have spent a lot of money on razors. I would not buy any more until you really get to know the fine ones you already have. Meanwhile, hang out on the board and learn what all is out there. There are a lot of fine vintage blades to be had at anywhere from $10 to $40, and once you know what to look for and what to run from, you can find some very good classic blades for not much coin at all. Www.whippeddog.com is a good place to look if you want to build up your collection. Larry has some real gems in the whipped dog bucket. All of his razors come absolutely ready to shave, even if they are not usually ready to display in a museum. A whipped dog or two will make good backup, and give you something different in your rotation to shave with besides your Puma and Fila. Both of those are excellent brands, by the way.

+1 for the above. If you are happy to spend 300 or more on a blade then go for it, hey my car does the same job as a Ferrari but doesn't cost even a quarter of the price. If you want that certain look or that certain name then go for it. I have a Casio watch but it doesn't mean a guy with a Rolex will be more on time than me!
i got a sight unseen from whipped dog as my first straight and it may not be a beauty queen but it shaves like a thoroughbred. My second razor is one I picked up last week for 2 bucks that I have honed and polished myself - shaves great and the best thing is that if I screw it up then Ive only lost 2 bucks max!

Top Bottom