What's new

Coffee percolator questions

Guys:

We have always used a drip coffee maker but things have changed a bit lately. A relative got us a coffee grinder last year for Christmas and it opened my eyes. So recently I got a Revere Ware percolator for the stovetop. It makes smokin’ hot coffee compared to (a very good) drip maker. I grind it very coarse so little of the grounds go through the metal holder. Let it perk seven minutes; shut it down; lift out the very hot innards and set aside; then pour myself the most amazing cup I’ve ever had.

Am I all alone in the Perc World? Where is it in the pecking order of coffee making? Down at the bottom or in the middle? Any tips for a perc newbie?

In keeping with the, “It didn’t happen if there aren’t pics” here it is. A pre-1968 model with thick copper bottom, actually quite mintish.

proxy.php

I have a couple of electric percolators at the house and when I drank coffee, I would bring them out every now and then to make coffee that tasted like the coffee my mom used to make. I much prefer the taste of coffee from a French press or my old Melita manual drip, but I did enjoy the taste of perc coffee every once in a while.

I always used my stove top percolator when I went camping. Nothing like burning hot coffee in a tin cup to get you started after a night sleeping on the ground.

I have a Farberware percolator but haven't used it in 5 years or more. There's something about sending coffee (instead of water) back over the used grounds that just seems wrong to me.

And I found my percolator hard to clean.

Now, I'm using a French Press ... and there's no looking back. I only wish I could buy coarse-ground coffee more easily. The supermarket I like is a good 30 minute drive away, and they have the 8 O'Clock grinder machine, so I can choose my own grind. Usually, I will buy the house-brand of beans and grind them there in the store. That's good for 2 weeks or so of coffee, at one pot (32oz) per day.

When I run out of coarse-ground coffee, I drink Instant. Yeah, I know how we all feel about instant coffee. But its still better than auto-drip, IMHO.

I use a cheap percolator when i'm camping, I love the hot strong coffee you get out of one. At home, I'm hooked on the French press. No more drip coffee for me.

And I found my percolator hard to clean.
Not that the French Press is any easier to clean. Luckily OXO brand has engineered this annoyance and produced the first real innovation in French Presses in a long, long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I all alone in the Perc World?
Not by a long shot. I don't care for perc coffee but there are certainly many that do.

Where is it in the pecking order of coffee making? Down at the bottom or in the middle?
The coffee geeks will say at the bottom. It really doesn't matter. What matters is whether you like it or not.

When I run out of coarse-ground coffee, I drink Instant. Yeah, I know how we all feel about instant coffee. But its still better than auto-drip, IMHO.
Again, what you like is all that matters. I wouldn't touch instant but to each his own.

Last edited:
+ 1 for perked coffee goodness!
I also have a stainless steel stovetop. I do use paper disc filters, so I can use a regular grind.

Before I say anything else, keep in mind that this is based on some history channel thing I watched and it might be tainted by propaganda from the manufacturers of coffee makers in the same way that shaving has been turned from traditional shaving to cartridges. But the arguements did make sense in the case of the coffee program when I heard them.

The general consensus among coffee profesionals is that percolators are the worst way to make coffee because the constant running of the coffee thru the grounds destroys the flavors and burns the coffee.

From worst to best (IIRC) the coffee makers go in this order regarding the mechanism they use to make coffee vs the quality of the cup they produce:
Percolator < Drip < French Press < Espresso

Of course the higher you go on the list, the stronger the coffee you get so it's all down to your taste as well.

My weapon of choice against coffee grounds is the french press.

Well, a percolator is a continual re-brewer. Water heats, goes through coffee, drips down, heats, goes through coffee, drips down, and so on. You can see where there are at least two problems - I contend the worst part is the continued heating of the already-brewed coffee. Perc-pot coffee has always tasted like somebody brewed a press pot and then put it on a coffee warmer destroyer and left it for an hour.

Guys:

We have always used a drip coffee maker but things have changed a bit lately. A relative got us a coffee grinder last year for Christmas and it opened my eyes. So recently I got a Revere Ware percolator for the stovetop. It makes smokin&#8217; hot coffee compared to (a very good) drip maker. I grind it very coarse so little of the grounds go through the metal holder. Let it perk seven minutes; shut it down; lift out the very hot innards and set aside; then pour myself the most amazing cup I&#8217;ve ever had.

Am I all alone in the Perc World? Where is it in the pecking order of coffee making? Down at the bottom or in the middle? Any tips for a perc newbie?

In keeping with the, &#8220;It didn&#8217;t happen if there aren&#8217;t pics&#8221; here it is. A pre-1968 model with thick copper bottom, actually quite mintish.

This thread got me going. I drink a pot of drip coffee every day as I have for decades. Doing some research there are quite a few people out there who swear by percolators. I remember when I was a kid my mom making percolator coffee but I don't think I have ever knowingly tried it myself.

So after researching a bit on percolators I bought one from an online seller. The Presto 12 cup electric stainless steel model I found was about the same price as a razor - so what the heck - I bought it just to try.

Now I have to wait for delivery.

A percolator is my daily pot to use.Better taste than my 4 and 9 cup drip makers.I just use less coffee than is recommended ,I generally make a 2/3 to 3/4 strength coffee with a paper filter.Tastes just fine.I then transfer it to an insulated carafe.

The only way I care to drink coffee is fresh ground beans brewed in a percolator. I drink a lot of coffee and couldn't care less what the experts say, there's no drip maker that compares imo. I have both a Farberware and Presto with the latter seeing the most use.

This thread got me going. I drink a pot of drip coffee every day as I have for decades. Doing some research there are quite a few people out there who swear by percolators. I remember when I was a kid my mom making percolator coffee but I don't think I have ever knowingly tried it myself.

So after researching a bit on percolators I bought one from an online seller. The Presto 12 cup electric stainless steel model I found was about the same price as a razor - so what the heck - I bought it just to try.

Now I have to wait for delivery.

Just an update....

My Presto Percolator arrived on Tuesday and since I was off this week I have used it ever since it arrived.

I love the flavor and temperture of the coffee and I love the percolator.

I probably would have never tried a percolator had it not been for this forum.

Thank you for getting me started on this wonderful little treat. I agree with all of the comments in this thread (plus all of the comments in reviews of percolators in other forums). Percolator coffee is just better. The "experts" don't know.

I was really shopping for a good old electric percolator before I got my technivorm drip machine. I encountered a bunch of "the hot water should only ever touch the coffee once!" posts.

But you know what? I've brewed 'perfect' expensive coffee, hand ground, fresh.... and there's still something about 'burned' coffee that just appeals to me and tastes like 'coffee' (you know the kind you get at church, the gas station, etc..)

So perk away. I was also looking at a Revere stovetop model like you posted. I have a cheap aluminum camping one and yes, it makes some nasty mud of coffee but it's because the filter basket has giant holes.

I was interested in a plug-in percolator because they have an auto shut-off thermostat in the bottom so you don't overly burn the coffee.

Not that the French Press is any easier to clean. Luckily OXO brand has engineered this annoyance and produced the first real innovation in French Presses in a long, long time.

I am intrigued by this and in the market for a quality press since I found to love my $7 Ikea press taste. I will be researching this more, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom