What's new

GEM 1912 its that good!

Used the 1912 the last two days and have had two of the easiest BBS! For the life of me I can't remember why I put down and used anyother razor in my rotation. The 1912 may be the best razor in my collection, hell it may be the best razor ever made! :whistling: YMMV

It gets my vote as the best designed razor ever.

Used the 1912 the last two days and have had two of the easiest BBS! For the life of me I can't remember why I put down and used anyother razor in my rotation. The 1912 may be the best razor in my collection, hell it may be the best razor ever made! :whistling: YMMV

People say that I am nuts when I tell them that I prefer the 1912 over the Streamline, but for me, the 1912's and 1914 are hard to beat.

So should I end my quest for a Streamline if I already own a 1912 and 1914?

I know others would consider this blasphemous, but I just do think find the Streamline all that great of a shaver. It is very sexy to look at, feels great in your hands, but for me, nothing beats the 1912 variants. If you plan on having a huge collection, go for it. But is it worth $100 plus dollars, which seems to be what most people are paying? I would say no.

Last edited:
That solves the mystery of why the streamlines are so minty!"Gosh it's purty, but my beaten down 1912 is still better. I'll just put er on the shelf and ogle er while I use my go to 1912"

I like all of the SE razors I own. I am leaning to the bullet tipped GEM MicroMatic (Flying wing) as the smoothest, closest shaver in the stable. Today anyway

Any razor, mixed with the wrong blade, poor technique, poor lather, poor prep, etc., can be defeated...even the venerable 1912s. I just had one give me a nasty red burn with bumps. Worst I've had in awhile. I'm still serving my apprenticeship as a traditional shaver, so maybe it was me.

The 1912 is a great razor, I love the look and the feel of moving it around my face. This with Carbon blades is a great combo, I like it more with carbon ammo over stainless ammo.

The 1912 is a great razor, I love the look and the feel of moving it around my face. This with Carbon blades is a great combo, I like it more with carbon ammo over stainless ammo.

So you like the Treet blades, huh? I was curious to see how they worked for you when I saw you say you had bought some.

How does 1912 compare to OCMM?
I could never get a smooth shave with a OCMM, it felt a little harsh to me, independent of aggressiveness or lack of. The 1912 gave me a much more dependable shave, smooth ever time. I gave the OCMM away, kept the 1912.
There are lots here that swear by the OCMM, but it's not for me.

So you like the Treet blades, huh? I was curious to see how they worked for you when I saw you say you had bought some.

Im in love with them! I definitely feel a big difference between the treets and the Ted Pella ss ones. They just cut easier, even on the ocmm there was a big difference. Thanks for the info on them!

Top Bottom