What's new

Metropolis Razor...Anyone Ever Seen One?

It is a beautiful razor, but it seems like the handle design might cause it to twist in your hand while you're shaving. I'd be interested to know if that's actually the case, though.

not many are around, I haven't seen many and no body here at B&B have really made any threads on it..........they seem to be rare but value wise I'm am not sure i would not pay more than 200 bucks
Says the man pondering selling a major organ to fund a Darwin purchase...:001_tt2:

Yes, nice to look at, but might that twisted handle feel bizarre in the hand and might the razor tend to twist (at least psychologically) on the face? Seems to me there is a Merkur model that has a "twisted handle" and that was a criticism.

Yes, I just found it on page 65 of Michael Hamm's fourth edition of his seminal book, The Leisure Guy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving. He says: "The Merkur 38C is relatively new. It has the Classic head, but a longer heavier handle with a spiral engraving. Unfortunately, due to its weight, I found the razor difficult to hold with a wet hand--it tended to twist because of the spiral track . . . " Underlining mine

I hold to the view that razors primarily are made to use and to enjoy on the face, not to stare at in a display box.

Gotta say, I'm surprised Jake doesn't have one of these beauties. It is gorgeous and probably harder to find than one of the Darwins

I certainly wouldn't shave with something like that out of fear to be honest, but yes it could double as a murder weapon in Cluedo more than a functional design.

It was Col. Mustard in the bathroom with the Metropolis!

Says the man pondering selling a major organ to fund a Darwin purchase...:001_tt2:
I may have to more than that to get one:ohmy:

Gotta say, I'm surprised Jake doesn't have one of these beauties. It is gorgeous and probably harder to find than one of the Darwins
At this time they dont seem to command much attention in the shave world, I am not really interested in it, but it does look nice.

I certainly wouldn't shave with something like that out of fear to be honest, but yes it could double as a murder weapon in Cluedo more than a functional design.

It was Col. Mustard in the bathroom with the Metropolis!

:001_smile

It looks nice but Mirabilia looks better than Metropolis.

really?

proxy.php
they look like a cross between a Red Ring Eclipse and a Darwin razor
proxy.php

Last edited:
Now here's a "Metropolis Razor" you don't see every day, a "Benz" version. Perhaps Paulo Baenziger, the maker of the Benz razor, also made this one? It sure looks like it to me. If Baenziger made both, I wonder if he also made the Metropolis razor with the striking twisted looking handle (I used to think perhaps Radimi might have made it).

I've seen other similar razors to this Metropolis that are branded Benz (of course) but also C.A.V.A. and Radar. Radar is another brand attributed to Baenziger, besides Benz. I think there might be a connection between Baenziger (of Bologna) and C.A.V.A. (of Milano), (if I have this right), because the brand Radar, while apparently made by Baenziger, can be found marketed in advertisements from the 1940's showing C.A.V.A. as the brand or apparent maker. Maybe Baenziger made the Radar's and Benz's, and they were then sold under the brand name C.A.V.A.? Or sold the rights to make them, at some point, to C.A.V.A.?

Benz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 1.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 2.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 3.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 4.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 5.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 6.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 7.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 8.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 9.JPGBenz Metropolis Safety Razor, Italy 10.JPG

Top Bottom