What's new

Lilac scents

NOT THE VEG. I would like a classy, manly, quality lilac frag.
I grew up in Rochester, where they have an entire Lilac Festival, and we actually bought a Lilac Tree where they have the festival in honor of my dad. I LOVE the smell of them, but it's mainly a chick scent.

Give me your favorites, gentlemen!

Last edited:
Can't help you on this, but perhaps "NOT THE VEG" should also be in the title, many members here have a tendency to not actually read the OP.

Master makes Lilac Vegetol. It is a little different than Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (note different spelling). Master's smells more like Lilac out of the bottle.

If you can find it, Avon made a White Lilac cologne for a limited time in the 80s. I think it was meant for women, but I have a bottle of it and it has a nice lilac scent.

Maybe read reviews for mens frags with lilac.

We had a large lilac tree on the farm where I grew up. I don't know how old it was, but it was so large that we had built a tree house in it. I think lilacs will always remind me of growing up on the farm.

Get on Basenotes, go to fragrance search, go to advanced, type in lilac, and look at what is listed there. Probably around 15 or 20.

Master makes Lilac Vegetol. It is a little different than Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (note different spelling). Master's smells more like Lilac out of the bottle.

I agree Master's is at least wearable, whereas the Veg is just flat out disgusting. I still wouldn't consider Master's to be great though.

Lilac trees are everywhere where I live. I have 3 in my yard.
Nice scent but I never thought of it being the main note in a male fragrance.

I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Lilac trees are everywhere where I live. I have 3 in my yard.
Nice scent but I never thought of it being the main note in a male fragrance.

I'm curious to see what you come up with.

The thing to remember is that floral scents are traditional male (and female) fragrances. In the early days floral scents were considered very masculine. We don't typically think that way nowadays.

I went through all the frags with lilac on Fragrantica and it appears Jardin de France Lilas was probably the best unisex lilac frag, made from natural ingredients, but is no longer available. Best reviews I found on available unisex lilac frags was for Diptyque Jardin Clos. It is currently sold out at LuckyScents, but it appears there are samples still available.

"Jardin Clos starts beautifully with a burst of realistic lilacs that envelops you with its exhilarating and powerful aroma. Close your eyes, and you are transported into a pretty little walled garden adorned with masses of reclining purple shrubs in full bloom."

"I can hardly imagine this scen on a men...:) It's truly feminin "spring-goddess-odor".:)
It's strange, because after when I put it on, the first note what I smelled it was clear hyacint aroma. Very strong and totally dominant. This scent is a little playful miracle.:) After a few minutes I begin to feel clearly the lilac aromas, but in a bit aquatic way,(maybe the watermelon??) the cedar and oakmoss makes the scent complete and warm."

"At the opening I get wonderful, dreamy and fresh lilac flowers. In my parents house there is lovely garden with around 20 lilac shrubs. At spring when they start to bloom the scent is absolutely amazing. This is what I get most out of Jardin Clos.There is some strange stuff lingering now and then, it's not unpleasant, but I can't tell what is it.
For me it's extremely gentle and feminine and perfect reminder of spring."

"I got a sample of this and it is lovely. I did not detect the watermelon note but found it to be a lovely hyacinth with distinct lilac. The woody notes are subtle but add to the composition. It lasted several hours on my skin and it is still pleasantly fragrant after 3 days on a cotton round. Definitely worth a full bottle."

"Big and chilly, Jardin Clos is perfect for hot summer days. Primarily lilac and hyacinth in equal measure on me, beginning to end. Though I would not have identified the watermelon note without reading about it (I have no talent for this) , I would guess that the watermelon is what gives it that special something you either love or hate on first spray. It has big sillage and lasts a long time, which explains why my sample has stretched so far; apply lightly-- it doesn't take much."

Basenotes rate Diptyque Jardin Clos with 12 Positive and 1 Negative.

I also found a unisex lilac splash Royal Bain de Caron which received mixed reviews, but can be purchased rather cheaply.

Last edited:
Although it's primarily about lily of the valley, Andy Tauer's Carillon pour un Ange has a prominent lilac note in it and it's easily unisex.
Also, Guerlain's Idylle, but this one is a predominately feminine frag.
Soivohle makes a Lilacs & Heliotropes that is outstanding although short-lived, but a very good fragrance while it lasts.

You might like Taylor's No74 Original, or is it called "Traditional?" Whatever the actual name is, it is the green one and not the yellow "limes" one.

I get a lot of jasmine from this one, but there is something that sure smells like lilac in there as well. It's a slightly powdery floral scent that is without a doubt a bit dated by today's standards, but is actually not bad at all. If you are a fan of the floral type of scents, this one may just be up your alley. It's rather inexpensive by this forum's standards and a little goes a long way. But you must be a lover of jasmine to fully enjoy this one, as I said before, there is a lot of it in there.

YMMV

Top Bottom