What's new

One side per shave or alternate?

Do you guys pick one side of the blade and stick to it for the duration of the shave, or do you switch between sides? What are your reasons and opinions?

I started off using the alternating method as I was advised it would even out wear and keep the razor balanced. The problem was my technique needed a lot of work, I was going too heavy at times and sometimes I would forget to alternate between sides often enough and it ended up defeating the purpose, the edges would be uneven anyway making for an uncomfortable shave switching between dull and sharp. I switched to using one side per shave; switching sides each shave meant that I got a uniformed experience all the time and it seems to help me extend the life of my blades. If I can get 3 comfortable shaves from one side I can get 3 from the other.

I do 3 short strokes, then turn, do another 3 short stroke and the rinse, and so on. I get 6-7 CCS from a blade. I do it that way as there is a rhythm to it, which helps me get into the flow of it. Do what you feel is right, I can't see that it makes a great deal of difference as long as the blade is used evenly.

I switch sides. I shave in sections, using the other edge while shaving the opposing section. If I had to state a reason, I'd say equal treatment; why should the left side have to make do with the edge that just shaved the right side?

Of course, I don't obsess over it too much. If I did, I'd never enjoy my occasional SE shave!

Definitely overthinking things here. Just make a couple strokes, flip the razor, make a couple more, rinse, repeat.
It doesn't have to be scientific, and it sure as heck takes more than just a couple strokes difference to make one side noticeably duller than the other.

I shave with one side per section of my face. Shave my left cheek, and flip. Shave my right cheek, and flip. Shave my neck and done (since I keep a goatee and moustache).

Definitely overthinking things here.

I kinda just interested in hearing about other peoples techniques and variations, and their thoughts on it just for a bit of banter. I should have made that a bit clearer in my first post but it was late, and I didn't think it out better.

So like I said, initially my technique sucked and for a number reasons outlined in the first post I ended up with a blade that was more worn on one side than the other, so I got alternating strips of irritation and smoothness on my face. After that I changed the blade and decided to stick to one side per shave I had this noobish fear in the back of my head that the same thing would happen if I didn't. Sticking to one side worked good for me but all the tutorials I read or watched suggested you should alternated between strokes and most people I've met agree. I just wanted to see if anyone thought different, or found in their own experience that sticking to one side was a bad idea.

If I had to state a reason, I'd say equal treatment; why should the left side have to make do with the edge that just shaved the right side?
I never thought of it that way and it makes a lot of sense you don't want an asymmetrical shave.
So this SE shave you do occasionally is that like a Bankai or something? :p

I use my nose and chin as the dividing line, usually. I shave 1 side with 1 edge and the other with the opposite edge. If I forget to flip, I don't freak out. As others have said. 3 shaves with a blade and chuck it. Flip the blade as you feel like it and the wear will just about even out.

I kinda just interested in hearing about other peoples techniques and variations, and their thoughts on it just for a bit of banter. I should have made that a bit clearer in my first post but it was late, and I didn't think it out better.

Ahh...In that case, I don't think about it. I suppose I turn the razor when one side gets full of lather, then rinse it when the second side gets too much lather. I don't pay attention to which side I'm using as I'm at the point now where turning it is done subconsciously. Doing it this way, your bound to keep both edges balanced for the most part, but if not, your face will tell you and you can put in a new blade.

So this SE shave you do occasionally is that like a Bankai or something? :p

Well, sort of. :001_smile

proxy.php

I alternate 100% of the time, I find it's a definite advantage in speed over a cartridge. U get 2 sides to shave with before u have to rinse it off. Let alone trying to unclog the cartridge blades too.

Don't over think it. Just shave.
+1

I alternate the sides of the razor, but I'm not worried if I do 3 passes with one side and only 1 pass with the other. Besides, after I rinse the razor, I can't tell which side is which.

And I toss each blade after 2 shaves, so getting the wear and tear on the blade to even out is a moot point.

I use one side per shave. No real reason, I just started doing it that way & haven't changed. My guess is that it was a holdover from the dreaded cart days when you didn't have anything to flip. And when I started w/ the 'real' razor & blade, I was so worried about lopping off an ear or nose that I just stayed w/ one position.

Now I do flip it over for shave #2 as a matter of practice. Then for #3 (if I go that far on that blade) I'll do the alternating. Then chuck it.

It's a fair question.
I shave on one side until it fills up with lather (before a big glop forms) then I flip the razor over to the other side until it fills up. Then rinse.
Seems to work just fine for me.

... that said:
I have a bunch of Kai blades, and I don't know why, but they all have one very sharp, excellent edge, and the other edge is more dull and pulls a lot. As I use these, I'm very particular about using the sharp edge. I seem to be the only person who has this problem. I may have blades that were in a box on the bottom of the pallet, perhaps. Regardless, I love that "one sharp edge" on a Kai blade!

-- Chet

Shave a section on side, turn, finish that section, rinse, repeat through complete pass. Lather, repeat. I flip the razor after a few strokes and when it seems full of lather and then rinse when both sides are full.

like chester said, when one side is full of lather, turn the razor over and user the other side. then rinse it.

What could be simpler than that?

I religiously shave with one side, flip to the other and then rinse. For me it is part of the whole DE thing, using both edges evenly. This actually results in a faster shave than a cartridge razor where you rinse after each few strokes.

Top Bottom