What's new

Dating a Damaskeene?

A friend picked up some razors for me at an estate sale and one of them was a Gem Damaskeene. I know nothing about these razors and was hoping someone might be able to tell me a little about mine or point to a resource on the web with info on the Gem razors.

I picked up some Treet blades at the local Rite Aid but I'm too chicken to try it... :001_rolle Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend. :w00t:

Don

proxy.php

proxy.php

OK... I shaved with it this morning. Wow...great shave. No nicks, cuts or weepers after a 3 pass shave...may actually be one of my best shaves yet. Definitely in the top ten. :)

Don

First off congratulations on getting a great version of the 1912, and on your first of many successful SE shaves. But, and I don't mean to pee on your Cheerios, that's not a true Damaskeene. I was part of a discussion about this razor on another forum and we came to the conclusion that the only true Damaskeenes are the early ones that were referred to in ads as the Damaskeene Razor. This particular model came out in the early 20's in sets that were sold under various names such as Peerless, Triumph and Conqueror. A recent discussion and some ads showing this razor can be seen HERE As you can see they don't use the word Damaskeene and the one the OP posted pictures of doesn't have the Damaskeene blade ad stamped inside the blade compartment, and neither do any of mine.

Here's a couple old ads that actually call the version of the 1912 that was being sold before 1920 or so the Damaskeene Razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
So a "true" Damaskeene does not have the word "Damaskeene" printed on it?

Is there any way of dating the Gem that I have?

Thanks!

Don

The early 1912's that Gem actually called the Damaskeene Razor had the Damaskeene blade ad/warning stating to only use Damaskeene blades stamped inside the blade compartment, but they came with a couple different handles than yours. The one you have with that style handle was probably first sold in 1922 according to the earliest ad that MacDaddy has found, and posted in the thread I linked to. None of the ads for the particular model you have calls it a Damaskeene and it came with and without the Damaskeene blade ad stamped inside the blade compartment.

The early 1912's that Gem actually called the Damaskeene Razor had the Damaskeene blade ad/warning stating to only use Damaskeene blades stamped inside the blade compartment, but they came with a couple different handles than yours. The one you have with that style handle was probably first sold in 1922 according to the earliest ad that MacDaddy has found, and posted in the thread I linked to. None of the ads for the particular model you have calls it a Damaskeene and it came with and without the Damaskeene blade ad stamped inside the blade compartment.

Wow...that's cool to know. I noticed that mine does not say to "only use" with Damaskeene blades as I have seen on some of the others. I thought it was weird that it just said "Gem Damaskeene Blades". I guess it's possible that the head could have been "married" to the handle too. I'm not a collector, so trying to figure all of these details out is a bit mind boggling. Thanks for sharing your research on the subject!

I'm having a blast shaving with these old razors and it's been great fun trying to figure out what they all are.

Don

PS: This was my first SE shave and it felt like there was a lot of blade. I was worried about slicing off bits that weren't meant to be but I went slow and things worked out better than expected. :)

I agree, these old things are a blast to use and try to figure out. And, a lot of what I say is based on theory, hypothesis, guesswork, speculation, bunkum and the occasional WAG thrown in for good measure, but some guys whose opinion that I really respect seem to agree.

Top Bottom