What's new

London Source for rotten fish...any Swedes here?

I've long wanted to try ‪Surströmming‬, and was wondering if anyone knows any shops in London that sell it...

(Now, whether I'd actually end up trying it is unknown, but it'd be interesting to know, and I'm sure if they sell that, there'd be alot of other interesting items to try, too, many of which are less 'offensive' :001_smile)

I've long wanted to try ‪Surströmming‬, and was wondering if anyone knows any shops in London that sell it...

(Now, whether I'd actually end up trying it is unknown, but it'd be interesting to know, and I'm sure if they sell that, there'd be alot of other interesting items to try, too, many of which are less 'offensive' :001_smile)

The premiere is always the third Thursday in August so it might be hard to find now. I am a big fan of surströmming myself and I can highly recommend you to give it a try if you find it in London. Just don´t let the smell scare you away and be sure to open the can and eat outside. preferable pretty far away from your neighbors.

IMHO the best brand is "Oskars surströmming" but there are others to try.

It's not available here yet, so I think you'll have a hard time finding it abroad now.l Maybe once the premiere is done here. But I don't know where or who could be interested in importing it.

I find it absolutely repulsive, but that is nor really the point here...

The premiere is always the third Thursday in August so it might be hard to find now. I am a big fan of surströmming myself and I can highly recommend you to give it a try if you find it in London. Just don´t let the smell scare you away and be sure to open the can and eat outside. preferable pretty far away from your neighbors.

IMHO the best brand is "Oskars surströmming" but there are others to try.

I've heard that opening it underwater in a bucket or large bowl is the way to go... Helps with the 'ejection' you get, also I'd seen the Oskars as the most popular (and probably most available) option.

It's not available here yet, so I think you'll have a hard time finding it abroad now.l Maybe once the premiere is done here. But I don't know where or who could be interested in importing it.

Well, there are plenty of Swedish ex-pats (and other nations) around, so... there must be some sources for 'unique' foods usually only available home-nations.

And many thanks for the replies.

Just a question about the production/storage of it, tins are usually long-keepers. (I know this is somewhat different to usual tinned products), just wondering how long a tin of ‪Surströmming‬ keeps for once ready for sale.

You´re absolutely right, opening the can under water is strongly recommended. The pressure is so high you might ruin your clothes or get sprayed in your face. Crap, summer has just begun and now I´m sitting here longing for August.... Hope you´ll find it!

I've been looking for a source myself, however I was speaking to a Norwegian friend (they have a similar dish, rakfisk) who informed me that cans of surstromming run the risk of explosion if they're transported on a plane. Could be why it's so hard to find, either that or the general revulsion most people seem to feel is enough to keep it firmly within the borders of Sweden :tongue_sm

Just a question about the production/storage of it, tins are usually long-keepers. (I know this is somewhat different to usual tinned products), just wondering how long a tin of ‪Surströmming‬ keeps for once ready for sale.

It would be ok to keep for about 14-15 months. I noticed I still have a can from last year, expiring Nov 2012 and I have seen many stores in Sweden trying to get rid of cans from the year before. That´s ok, but I definitely enjoy the current year´s production more in the matter of taste and consistence.

I've been looking for a source myself, however I was speaking to a Norwegian friend (they have a similar dish, rakfisk) who informed me that cans of surstromming run the risk of explosion if they're transported on a plane. Could be why it's so hard to find, either that or the general revulsion most people seem to feel is enough to keep it firmly within the borders of Sweden :tongue_sm

Yep, I've heard of the explosion theory (I say 'theory' because there are conflicting views on the 'explosiveness' of them), but there are regular ferries to/from Norway and Scandinavia, so... (and it's likely it's going to be a smallish import quantity of it (if any)), so someone with a small van (or even a car) could bring in enough to distribute!! :001_smile

It would be ok to keep for about 14-15 months. I noticed I still have a can from last year, expiring Nov 2012 and I have seen many stores in Sweden trying to get rid of cans from the year before. That´s ok, but I definitely enjoy the current year´s production more in the matter of taste and consistence.

Well, that's interesting and would answer a question I had as to why it's difficult to find 'out of season' (presumably production is relatively small).

Simon Mayo featured Surströmming on his Radio 2 program last year, a UK based shop supplied some for him to try, if you search around the net you my stumble across a report or audioclip.

Top Bottom