What's new

Short pen

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I picked up this plaid Diamond Point because I thought it was neat. The J bar was good but needed a sac replacement. The steel nib not so good. The left tine had a crack near the breather hole, so I set it aside and installed an extra GP nib I had. When posted, it is quite comfortale to write with at 5", capped it is just under 4"

My question for the group is who was the target market for these small pens, and what was the purpose of making them so short?

$IMG_2476.jpg
$IMG_2472.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My guess would be to make it easier to carry in a wallet, pocket or purse.
There is no other logical reason to have less ink available.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Beautiful plastic you have there; you should look around for a replacement gold nib.

I wouldn't be shocked if some of the smaller pens were made that way to support a lower price point or for children.

My favorite short pen is actually Chinese. If you scan that auction site for the missile fountain pen, you'll see it. I have about 3-4, and I marvel at their size.

Esterbrook called its smallest pen a "Purse Pen". Super compact items always seem to have a certain attraction, even if you have room to carry around something bigger.

A modern equivalent is the Pilot Petit 1, which actually is a pretty decent pen for the price.

I've seen these described as vest-pocket pens . . .
+1 on that answer.

I have a smallish pen like that. It's a Waterman 3V (V for Vest Pocket). 108mm capped (4.25 inches), 136mm posted (5.35 inches). It writes very well despite my fear it might be too small for my hand. The nib was the reason for the buy. Nice flex.

+1 on that answer.

I have a smallish pen like that. It's a Waterman 3V (V for Vest Pocket). 108mm capped (4.25 inches), 136mm posted (5.35 inches). It writes very well despite my fear it might be too small for my hand. The nib was the reason for the buy. Nice flex.

How interesting. I recently picked up a 3V for the exact same reason - the flex nib. I was afraid that the 3V would be too small, I normally use Pelikan M400s and Vacumatics, but the 3V sits nicely.

Top Bottom