What's new

How do I get this shovel under my nose?

I just finished my fourth SE shave with my Gem PB and Gem PTFE blade.

These shaves have all been quite close DFS near BBS shaves and kept my face reasonably intact but I still have some issues I have trouble getting around.

WTG in the neck area

The hair in my neck grows quite flat which makes the angle to which the razor is designed not quite effective. XTG is a definite no in my lower neck so this means the first pass that really works in my neck is ATG. Fortunately the shallow angle is very good for the ATG pass in my neck so I get away with a close shave in the neck afterall.

Tugging Under the chin
Not sure why but this is an issue I have with this razor and my NEW LC. My other razors (mainly TTO's) do not have this. The only way to get around the corner under the chin is hacking a bit and use the momentum of the head (not quite a subtle approach).

but the main issue:

How do I get this shovel under my nose?
I am used to shaving the moustache area WTG, XTG, XTG (both out to in).
The head does not fit wtg and just XTG does not seem to work, especially in the middle. I just tried going ATG there (even though I knew I shouldn't) and paid the price.

I am not giving up on this razor yet. I owe it to Cicatero to at least shave my way through the blade sampler he sent me.

I guess I will try a carbon steel blade for my next shave.

Any tips?

My whiskers have always grown in every direction imaginable on my neck, and I wear a mustache, so all I need to do is trim under my nose. What's funny about it is I learned to shave myself, starting with some kind of SE, probably a Gem Junior. At the time, the only "long" peach fuzz I had was my sideburns and my mustache, and back then, the school dress code didn't allow either one.

It's been 56 years since I stopped using the original SE razor. That's so much water under the bridge now, I've no idea (with certainty) how I did much of anything. I kinds THINK that I started from the middle, XTG to one side, then from the middle and XTG out to the other side.

I have noticed that I seem to need to do a lot more clean-up of little patches of whiskers I've only "shortened", not cut them flush with my skin, using my micromatic. When the Gbar comes, I'll see if it's more of the same.

See if this video gives you any tips. He shaves his lip at the 3:28 mark. Looks like he starts at a steep angle and flattens out...

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy must not have mustache hair that goes all the way up to his nostrils. I have some hairs so close to my nose that when I relax my upper lip after stretching it to shave, the hairs tuck up under my nostril and can't be seen any longer. With DE razors, I have discovered that I can best get these with a very light touch across the grain. I haven't yet tried my GEM OCMM, but I have to assume that I will find the same solution.

Push your nose to the side or up (whatever you need to do to get your schnozz out of the way) and go WTG or XTG.

Every shave tool (DE, SE, or straight) has advantages and disadvantages. To me, SEs biggest drawback its lack of maneuverability and ability to reach under my nose. I get ok results with SEs under the nose, but a DE and definitely my straights work better. Everywhere else SE is stupid simple to use.

I simply go WTG under the nose, some hair will be left just under the nose, I then go XTG on a diagonal toward the nostril. That just about always does it for me. I pretty much do the same with DE razors as well.

Push your nose to the side or up (whatever you need to do to get your schnozz out of the way) and go WTG or XTG.

Every shave tool (DE, SE, or straight) has advantages and disadvantages. To me, SEs biggest drawback its lack of maneuverability and ability to reach under my nose. I get ok results with SEs under the nose, but a DE and definitely my straights work better. Everywhere else SE is stupid simple to use.

+1. I have what my wife calls a "substantial" nose and that is what I do and it work for me.

I have tried everything from ATG, XTG and WTG and cannot get under my nose completely, so I use a Tech or an injector.

I do a combination of what ilpadrino said and what Mr Guy does (start with almost a 90 degree angle right under the nose and then flatten out as you can).

My upper lip is my only 100% 3 pass area and sometimes it takes a little tough up after that even, but I go straight down WTG, XTG towards the nose, and then ATG. Usually works out pretty darn well.

The biggest this is that more experience you get with an SE the more it will help (but it is much easier to get under the nose with a DE).

Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys.

I am not really into using several razors for one shave and the results have not been bad enough to put it asside just yet. The overall impression is that it does shave close in the larger area's of my face and with very little harm to the skin.

I will pop in a carbon tonight and shave on.

Best of luck with it!! I can offer no advice as I avoid those problem areas by having a beard and moustache as illustrated in my Avatar!!

With that beard I would not have any trouble spots!

If even the Führer der einzelnen Kante Rasierer picks an Injector or Tech to get the job done it might be too much to ask from this razor but I will try to master it anyway.

If even the Führer der einzelnen Kante Rasierer picks an Injector or Tech to get the job done it might be too much to ask from this razor but I will try to master it anyway.
Some kind of SE was my first razor, and then I left it behind. At the time, I had never seen a new one for sale anywhere (mid 1950s), and thought they were really old technology.

My next bladed shaving instrument was a Schick Injector, and there's world of difference handling the two away from the flatter planes of the face. The Injector lends itself to multiple changes in angle, direction, and manual manipulation. It is "too light", without necessarily encouraging sloppy technique. I honestly can't be sure what particular SE I started with. It didn't imprint itself on my memory clearly. It was old, it was tarnished silver, and that head puts limits on its overall flexibility.

I'm pretty sure I set my SE aside in between shaving every other day, and shaving six days a week, and I think maybe I bowed to pressure to try electric shaving again for a year or so before moving to the Schick Injector.

So far, on my cheeks, without any particular special effort, the Micromatic Clog-Pruf has produced several of the very closest first pass WTG results that I have ever gotten, although usually combined with rather poor first pass results on my chin, and assorted spots on my neck. Up to now, the Schick G-8 Injector didn't quite match the closeness on my cheeks, but has been far better on my neck, and comparatively better on my chin. Last night, with the newly cleaned Schick Hydromagic, it was able to match the Clog-Pruf's first pass results.

I still haven't gotten my chin shaved entirely correctly with any SE, be it MM-CP or Injector, and end up doing cleanup with a DE or my trusty Sensor cart razor.

HA HA HA....Thanks to Ken I now have people calling me the "Führer der einzelnen Kante Rasierer". I must admit, I do like the sound of it.

I have tried pushing nose in all sorts of un-natural positions, WTG, ATG, XTG, I just cannot do it. I have no problems using multiple razors within a shave, as I think one should use the best tools to get the job done right. To use a car analogy, one would not attempt to work on an engine with only on wrench, so why not use more than one razor if you have one within reach? Not a big deal for me to grab a Tech or Injector as I always have them loaded.

Well it fits you! Führer der einzelnen Kante Rasierer shall forver more be your name!

HA HA HA....Thanks to Ken I now have people calling me the "Führer der einzelnen Kante Rasierer". I must admit, I do like the sound of it.

I have tried pushing nose in all sorts of un-natural positions, WTG, ATG, XTG, I just cannot do it. I have no problems using multiple razors within a shave, as I think one should use the best tools to get the job done right. To use a car analogy, one would not attempt to work on an engine with only on wrench, so why not use more than one razor if you have one within reach? Not a big deal for me to grab a Tech or Injector as I always have them loaded.

To use a car analogy, one would not attempt to work on an engine with only on wrench, so why not use more than one razor if you have one within reach? Not a big deal for me to grab a Tech or Injector as I always have them loaded.

Of course I can grab my Slim, SS or L6 for the trouble spots but this would take a bit away from experiencing a specific type of razor which was for me the reason for picking up a GEM.

I don't seem to have quite the SE problems described.

Under the nose, I don't expect to do WTG all the way up...lower half of the upper lip is fine.
I then do XTG from both sides, followed by ATG.
I think it's better on XTG than DEs. The tabs on DE blades sometimes hurt my nose!

Yes, chin and neck are problematic for me too, but that's independent of razor type.
Hair does grow close to the plane of the skin on my neck, and the chin is curved.
I get the best results using a "milder" razor and a low angle, plus some pressure.

Shaved Wednesday with Gem Damaskeene which is about the most unforgiving tool in my arsenal.
Was first time that I used it successfully with no irritation. Requires a very light touch, consistently.
The light touch makes curved places like the chin a bit harder.

Think of it this way...
Soft rubber ball. Razor that is a straight surface.
Press down harder and a wider swath comes into contact with the razor.
If you can't press down, each stroke only cuts a very narrow path.
So I've been working out the alternative attack paths for this very low-pressure razor.
That works, just differently.

Good luck!

Just had my 6th shave (2nd with carbon steel) with the GEM.

I got quite close under the nose at the expense of a little blood but that was gone after the cold rinse.

I think I will give this razor a break for a while and give my DE's some attention again.

No LOSER yet but this razor will be part of my rotation.

Top Bottom