What's new

WWII German Pistol

$002-3.jpg
This is a Fabrique Nationale D'Armies De Guerre
You may know it as Browning Hi-Power 9mm
During WWII the Germans invaded Belgium and had slave labor make them..This weapon has 3 Nazi proof marks.
It has the original Beechwood handles.

Last edited:
Very nice. Looks like a pretty good survivor. Much more fun to see photos of this one with a historical association than new guns.

Did you mean Hi-Power rather than Hi-Matic?

The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol of all. The Hi-Power kept around here is a commercial version produced in the immediate post-war period so was made a few years after yours. No wartime history though. The Hi-Power served both the Allies and the Axis.
proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
When I was small my father had a Walther P38 with Nazi markings, and if I remember correctly it had an SS stamp on the holster. He sold it because, as he said, "If I want to shoot I have my Browning and all the free ammo the government can provide" (He was an army officer, and that was (is?) the issue sidearm here.)

Very nice. Looks like a pretty good survivor. Much more fun to see photos of this one with a historical association than new guns.

Did you mean Hi-Power rather than Hi-Matic?

The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol of all. The Hi-Power kept around here is a commercial version produced in the immediate post-war period so was made a few years after yours. No wartime history though. The Hi-Power served both the Allies and the Axis.
proxy.php
Thanks for the correction. In all the years my father had it, I never fired it. He gave it to me a few months ago and I still haven't taken it out yet.

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm just getting into pistols. Is a High-Power essentially a 1911 chambered in 9mm?

Edit: Awesome guns, btw!

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm just getting into pistols. Is a High-Power essentially a 1911 chambered in 9mm?

Nope--entirely new design from John Browning (well, design was mostly finished when he died, my understanding anyway). Many feel the Hi Power was his masterpiece. It is a fantastic pistol. I've never owned one but have fired many. One of my favorites, but I tend to like the modern 9's.

This says it better than I can http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

Nice firearm and one that I have owned for a long time

Nope--entirely new design from John Browning (well, design was mostly finished when he died, my understanding anyway). Many feel the Hi Power was his masterpiece. It is a fantastic pistol. I've never owned one but have fired many. One of my favorites, but I tend to like the modern 9's.

My fave "modern" 9mm is the Styer GB (Austrian). The gas delayed blow back action has a very light recoil for a 9mm round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_GB

Little Big Feather;

You really ought to treat yourself to some range time with your pistol. It is a very pleasant companion for a shooting afternoon. I'm not one to say don't shoot the oldies. Some won't because of fears concerning the gun's age and some won't due to worries over diminishing their "collector" value. I don't even consider a World War II era gun of quality design as old and shoot 'em all the time. Your gun is a nice garden variety wartime issue piece exhibiting a pleasing patina of age so some careful range use won't hurt it a bit. Keep the so-called +P loadings out of it except for dire self-defense emergencies and use good quality standard 9mm ammunition with full metal jacket bullets with 115-125 grain weight for range work or plinking sessions.

If you find you really enjoy the pistol then it might be advisable to obtain a standard spring kit from Wolff springs. Don't go with spring sets offering weight differences off of standard. Wolff can direct you to the proper set. Your pistols springs may be a bit "tired" and it's prior shooting history not completely known. It's ok for limited use as is but for putting back to work, a fresh set of springs and regular cleaning and lubrication will keep it happy.

It's nice of you to share the photo. It's like going to a museum to be able to view other folks' nice firearms acquisitions. WWII firearms of both Allied and Axis really "float my boat."

And before the 1911 there was the 1903.

Serial number on this one dates to 1917 and it chambered in .32ACP. It belonged to my grandfather. Mom gave it to me a couple of months ago.

$right.jpg$horse.jpg$grip.jpg

Maybe all of these pistols need to be represented in the semi-automatic pistol thread running.

Wow! That little Colt .32 is nice. I love that design too. Never owned one but have fired others. Very thin and sleek. I keep hoping I'll sneak up on one for the right price one of these days. I may as well face it. In this day of plastic and aluminum alloy pistols I just love the oldies better.

I think the Browning P35 is the most balanced, natural pointing handgun I have ever held. When I pick one up, I feel like I was born with it in my hand.

Top Bottom