What's new

Does a DE make my beard grow quicker?

Hi,

Daft question and I know you'll all say no but I was wondering....
Since starting to shave with a DE this week I've noticed that my beard seems to grow back "quicker" than normal.
I have a couple of theories:

1. My initial shave is closer so I notice the beard growth more.

2. I've shaved everyday this week (and twice on Monday) which is something I NEVER did before and my beard has responded like the grass in my garden.

3. I've lost weight and my face is shrinking at an alarming rate.

4. My alum block is shrinking my head.

5. I'm imagining it all just so that I can shave again tonight (more time to shave in the evening as I take about 15 minutes as opposed to the 5 seconds with my Mach 3).

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Paul

Cutting hair, no matter how you do it, doesn't make it grow faster. You're just paying closer attention to how your shaves are now that you're a shave geek like the rest of us so you notice your beard growing in where as before you probably never gave it much thought.

Hi,

Daft question and I know you'll all say no but I was wondering....
Since starting to shave with a DE this week I've noticed that my beard seems to grow back "quicker" than normal.
I have a couple of theories:

1. My initial shave is closer so I notice the beard growth more.

2. I've shaved everyday this week (and twice on Monday) which is something I NEVER did before and my beard has responded like the grass in my garden.

3. I've lost weight and my face is shrinking at an alarming rate.

4. My alum block is shrinking my head.

5. I'm imagining it all just so that I can shave again tonight (more time to shave in the evening as I take about 15 minutes as opposed to the 5 seconds with my Mach 3).

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Paul

only thing i noticed after switching to a DE is that the new growth is quite a bit more "prickly". i think the reason is that with a DE you are cutting the hair right at the surface with a single blade which i think leaves you with a more squared off piece of hair. this is opposed to using an old cart or electric which takes multiple passes with multiple blades that arent as sharp, which i theorize creates a more ragged edge. i think that more ragged edge is softer so you dont notice it as much as a nice cleanly cut piece of hair.

but thats a whole lot of thought about something that just keeps growing and getting mowed down!

Cutting hair, no matter how you do it, doesn't make it grow faster. You're just paying closer attention to how your shaves are now that you're a shave geek like the rest of us so you notice your beard growing in where as before you probably never gave it much thought.

+1. I never noticed the pattern or amount of stubble growth until I became a shave geek. :online2long:

Nope. Hair grows from beneath the surface (from the folicle) and you are cutting the dead end. I remember my Dad telling me to put off shaving as long as I could because shaving would make my whiskers grow faster and thicker! A myth.

+1 Can't help you with the shrinkage of your head though! Hehe.

I agree with everything that others say about your hair NOT growing faster. I have observed on my beard though that my stubble looks more neat and tidy when it grows back in after a DE shave vs the shave my electric gives me. This is probably also because of the squared-off clean cut that the DE blade gives me.

For myself I think it is 2 and 4:lol:

I have been shaving twice per day now for about 3 months...I wish that I could get in just one more shave!!!

Your beard is not growing at an accelerated rate. Since you are enjoying your shave more now then before, your mind is playing tricks on you, thereby giving you an excuse to shave more often. Happens to all of us!

Last edited:
The closer shave with the great exfoliant effect and you are noticing it more. If you used an electric razor you never had a decent shave so the daily growth was barely noticeable. If you used a cartridge the lack of exfoliant effect made the stubble more manageable because although the shave felt close, the skin was still hanging around and the growth seemed minimal.

Just my .02

+1

I'd go with #5. I find myself wishing my hair would grow faster just so I could get in another shave! Honestly I think the real reason is because with the multi-blade razors it actually pulls the hair a bit prior to cutting leaving the hair below the surface of your skin. While being smooth if that hair grows just a little off you get an ingrown hair! That's what I'm loving about DE shaving, less irritation (my technique is by no means perfect) and no ingrown hairs.

It's actually quite simple. Ignore all of those who say shaving doesn't make the beard grow faster. The fact is that traditional shaving certainly does, and here's why. Beard growth is fueled by testosterone, and the mere fact that you are shaving traditionally automatically makes you much manlier than you were previously. This style of shaving boosts your testosterone to previously unheard-of levels, thus inspiring more beard growth. There. Now you know.

It's actually quite simple. Ignore all of those who say shaving doesn't make the beard grow faster. The fact is that traditional shaving certainly does, and here's why. Beard growth is fueled by testosterone, and the mere fact that you are shaving traditionally automatically makes you much manlier than you were previously. This style of shaving boosts your testosterone to previously unheard-of levels, thus inspiring more beard growth. There. Now you know.

So I guess the really seriously dangerous straight razors must make beards grow like wildfire.
If only I'd have known this when I was a kid, I could have looked like a wolf cub.

Does a DE make my beard grow quicker?

Yes. It also makes supermodels beg to be the mothers of your children, and you will need lumber support to carry the weight below your belt, caused by the immense surge in testosterone!:001_tongu

Given the amount of $$ some of us spend on vintage razors, that should darn well be the case.
:001_rolle

Well... after shaving every three days with a cartridge for twenty plus years I would occasionally sport a patchy beard every month or so. After daily DE wet shaving for three months straight I went two weeks without shaving and had a full, beautiful beard, so... who knows...

Top Bottom