What's new

Need some suggestions

Hi,

I am not a regular DE shaver, as I have found I get a superior shave from a Schick disposable (blasphemy, I know). Every DE razor and blade combo I've tried came up woefully short of the Schick I use-until I tried a Feather blade in a Gillette ball-end tech. This showed some promise.

After some practice with the feather/ball-end tech, I'm now able to get close to the shave I get with the Schick, but the Schick is still better.

Believing in my heart that there's always room for improvement in everything, what blade would you (more experienced) DE users recommend I try next? I'd like to find a DE/blade combo that's identical in shave quality to the Schick, but am unwilling to give up the Schick until I do.

TIA.

Beerman

It would help us recommend better if you could list the blades that have failed you till now, preferably with a list of razors you paired them with.

Stick with what works best for you, regardless of what it is.

No point bending to peer pressure and end up with a poor shave.

I have a number of Techs and I just cannot get what I consider a good shave out of them. The shave is ok, nothing bad about them, but I can get closer and smoother with everything else. I guess the Tech is just too mild for me.

Hi,

I've tried Super-Max, wilkinson Sword, and some garden variety Gillettes at various times in a 40's style super speed, flair- tip super speed and the ball end tech. I also just tried merkur and found it not to be as good as the feather.

My displeasure with the blades other than the feather is that the shave is not as close, nor as comfortable as with the schick disposable I'm used to using.

I get a DFS 90% of the time or more with my schick. I'm only really interested in learning DE shaving because I expect the schick to be discontinued at some point. I'd like to be ready if and when that happens.

If I had to try to quantify things, I'd say that with the feather and ball end tech, I get approximately 80% of the quality of shave I get with the Schick.

Thanks again for all of the help.

BeeRman

I would #1. look at other razors as well and #2. look at the razors people compare to feather or say are "as good as feather" the 7 o'clock yellows and some more of them are one of these. I'm sure some people will give their favorite blade, the tech is a very mild razor, I found I couldn't get much of a shave with the blue-tip without it being really annoying, the flare-tip is a lot better. Of course YMMV for ALL of this.

Also, I saw no one spoke about thick lather, being new I know I made poor lather quite a few times, sometimes you get irritated, but commonly with thick lather it gunks up the blade and prevents me from getting as close of a shave. Just a thought...

Have you thought of trying an Injector Razor, the shave is as easy as a disposable without the expense, and they shave closer than a DE when using the same number of passes. If your interested I'll PIF you an Injector and one pack of Chinese Schick Blades, PM your Name & Address.

I too started with a Tech (Gold fat handle) and was going through the same thing, trying different blades and finishing with my cartage razor. I was using a Mach3 and could press, redo without relathering, etc.. I asked here and was told to work on my technique. That worked! As soon as I worked on technique alone it didn't matter what razor or blade I used, I got a BBS shave.

A couple items that worked for me:
1. Hold the razor by the end/tip and ensure you are applying no pressure while doing each pass (WTG,XTG,ATG). <-- SUPER IMPORTANT!!!
2. I use a light pre shave oil (no lather) for my touch up passes (I do two, one with hot and one with cold water) (Origins Pre-Shave Oil)
3. I end with Nivea sensitive ASB which helps the skin replenish and feel marvelous.

I hope this helps.

Have you thought of trying an Injector Razor, the shave is as easy as a disposable without the expense, and they shave closer than a DE when using the same number of passes. If your interested I'll PIF you an Injector and one pack of Chinese Schick Blades, PM your Name & Address.

Thank you for the kind offer. I actually have a Schick adjustable injector, but I will take you up on the PIF for the blades though, if that's ok with you. I'm not sure which blades I tried, but I was disatisified with the Schick injector as well. Not bad at all, just not as superior as the Schick disposable that I use on a regular basis. FWIW, other types and brands of disposables that I've used are not as good for me as the Schick.

Beerman

FWIW the first razor I used was a SS bluetip and a derby blade without proper lather etc and the shave was ATROCIOUS! and the subsequent 2 shaves were just as bad, however shortly after I ordered a Fatboy with a sampler pack of blades, TOBS shaving soap/badger brush and the shave was better with the fatboy and good prep with some bluebird blades, but it was still irritating, then I turned the razor up to 3 and put in an Astra SP... WOW, far superior to any shave I had ever had with a Cartridge( I was using a shick Hydro at the last) Im slowly working through my sampler and havn't tried the feather yet but I believe Im in for a treat

IMHO its the razor and not the blade, I have heard that the Tech's are really mild razors... maybe try a Merkur slant bar... they are supposed to be more aggressive, that or try an Open comb razor maybe?

Top Bottom