What's new

Merkur Stockists in London UK????

Hi all,

I am a newbie here and I have asked this question on someone else's thread however it is probably better suited here. I want to upgrade my shaving experience (not difficult m3 power/gel) and have decided on one of the Merkur sets either Vision or Futur, Matt or Chrome. To help me make my mind up I would like to go to an actual shop and see/feel the sets if possible. I have found various UK websites that sell the sets but no shops.

Does anyone know of such an shop/department store in London or NW Kent. Thanks in advance.

Just a small tip - As a newbie I would advice against both the Futur and Vision, they are not great newbie razors. My advice is to get a Merkur 34c (aka HD) its a great razor and much easier to learn in with.

When I started reading about wet shaving about a month ago I had my eye on the Vision set at ClassicShaving. Due to it's rather expensive nature I continued reading and noticed from this site that a Merkur HD was a far better option to start with, together with either a Vulfix, EJ or other badger brush.

I also suggest to go with a Merkur HD or Merkur Classic until you get the hang of it and once you master your technique with any of those, you can continue the search for a decent adjustable. I've been reading that the Vision and Futur can be very gentle or very aggressive depending on how you want them to be, but I prefer to start with something simple while mastering the technique after which I will evaluate whether I want to go the Vision/Futur route or the Progress way.

I started with the Merkur HD around three weeks ago. My first three shaves had pretty stiff razor burn that I attribute to being too agressive as well as technique. The next three or four shaves were damn near BBS with very little razorburn. Now that I've figured out how water really is your friend in building slick lather I am getting excellent excellent shaves with no razorburn at all.

It seems to me that the HD is a great general starter that is easy on the pocket book and easily unloaded if you decide it's not for you. Another tip not mentioned yet would be to get the DE blade sampler pack from letterK. It seems that DE blades are very subjective so a multi-sampler is a good idea.

NOTE: What I am calling razorburn is when several hours after the shave it hurts/burns to rub your face. I do still get little bleeders but it is said (here) that an alum block will do wonders to take care of them.

Ashe said:
. Due to it's rather expensive nature I continued reading and noticed from this site that a Merkur HD was a far better option to start with, together with either a Vulfix, EJ or other badger brush.

I also suggest to go with a Merkur HD or Merkur Classic until you get the hang of it and once you master your technique with any of those, you can continue the search for a decent adjustable. I've been reading that the Vision and Futur can be very gentle or very aggressive depending on how you want them to be, but I prefer to start with something simple while mastering the technique after which I will evaluate whether I want to go the Vision/Futur route or the Progress way.

Totally agree. I'm also a newcomer to DE shaving and have just ordered a Merkur HD, based on a lot of what I've been reading of these forums. It seems overall a better choice for a beginner when compared to a Vision or Futur. Personally, I really couldn't see myself getting to grips with something like a Futur for quite some time...:001_unsur I mean, these things look a far cry from the likes of a Mach 3...

Hi to all and thank you for your contributions. I take onboard what people are saying about the HD and it is certainly an inexpensive way to try DE shaving. Of course I am filled with a certain amount of trepidation about starting DE shaving but after suffering razorburn/rash (by the way I can also vouch for the effetiveness of PFB Vanish!) it would appear that it is probably the razor/technique I am using rather than my sensitve skin!

I hope this question does not sound daft but what makes the HD good for beginners and not the Vision/Futur? Thanks again.

The HD is a non-adjustable razor. The exposure to blade is fixed so it is one less thing to have to adjust and tinker with. The razor is of excellent weight and quality, and the shave is really excellent - it is probably one of the best razors Merkur makes. It is a razor that allows you to focus on technique of DE shaving and not the variables in the razor that an adjustable has.

The Futur was my first razor. It is heavy, stiff and somewhat aggressive. I have the chrome version and it is quite slippery and very difficult (and dangerous) to adjust the exposure while shave as you have to hold the head of the razor (use a towel!). It also has a truly weird blade change setup where you actually pop the top of the razor off, put the blade in and snap the top back on - all a little dodgy if you ask me. Otherwise though, it is a fine shaving razor with good weight and head size.

I have never used a Vision, but it is Merkur's most expensive razor, the head on it is quite large which may make it difficult to shave in tight spots like under the nose. The adjustment is much better than the Futur from what I have read. It is nice razor, but if you just starting out DE shaving it is not necessary when cheaper and perhaps better options are available.

All that said, I rarely use my Futur these days. I like the Gillette Adjustables (Fat Boys), the old Super Speeds and my HD which are the razors I have been rotating lately. I still use the HD often (just raotated out of it with a Derby in it, in fact) - it is a great razor.

Dennis

mactrack said:

I hope this question does not sound daft but what makes the HD good for beginners and not the Vision/Futur? Thanks again.

Both the Futur and the Vision can be exellent razors, BUT you need to learn DE shaving first, and these ones are not easy to begin with. They are both very unforgiving with Newbie-mistakes and will punish you bloody if you try to mess with them.. The rather big heads on both theese razors makes them less suitable for beginners as well.. They can also be extremely aggresive to the skin if you for examle misses the ever important blade-angle..

The HD on the other hand is a easier shaver to begin with, and for that to continue with. It is much less agressive and forgiving. The fixed blade makes it easier to concentrate on what you are doing (angle) and it will more seldom draw your blood. Its smaller size makes it also easier to manouver around your face and still managing blade-angle.

I started out with a Futur and came out alive - barely :tongue_sm I then got a HD and it was shaving bliss :biggrin: Easy but hefty - Gives a good shave every time, and I have never drawn blood with it..

I hope this sort of answers your question

Like suggested above go with merkur hd for $29.99 @ www.classicshaving.com you can't go wrong. I have been using it for a little over a month and I can get a bbs shave with no irritation shaving north to south, south to north east to west....whatever. It is a good razor with little learning curve. Just remeber slowly reduce the beard before shaving against the grain, use a soft touch no presure, go slow, watch your blade angle and use a good shave cream or soap. Some one else mentioned to practice you angle on your arm or leg....this works. Once you feel comfortable with the Hd and you still like shaving with a DE razor then move to something more expensive. Alot of people on this forum use the Hd as there daily shaver.

happy shaving

Tony

p.s.
practice the blade angle in a inconspicuous spot, you would look funny with little patches of missing hair.:biggrin:

Happy New Year! I'm a newbie here myself - that's why I'm replying to your post so late. There's an old-fashioned store very near Chancery Lane Tube station (Central Line), called 'Shervingtons'. They mainly sell tobaccos/cigars, but also stock (and display) a range of Merkur razors, along with a good variety of other shaving gear - Proraso etc.

Hope this is helpful. Alan

Happy New Year! I'm a newbie here myself - that's why I'm replying to your post so late. There's an old-fashioned store very near Chancery Lane Tube station (Central Line), called 'Shervingtons'. They mainly sell tobaccos/cigars, but also stock (and display) a range of Merkur razors, along with a good variety of other shaving gear - Proraso etc.

Hope this is helpful. Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that I was reading that thread again and I've come on a long way after trying all of the above mentioned razors and more (the Vision is excellent the Futur was awful). I have now settled on a slant.

I work in the City so may take a trip down there one lunchtime. I am now increasing my brush collection and only have eyes for Simpsons. Do you know whether Shervingtons stock Simpson brushes or any other retailer in London who does (not the rebranded more expensive GFT ones though).

Thanks Martin

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that I was reading that thread again and I've come on a long way after trying all of the above mentioned razors and more (the Vision is excellent the Futur was awful). I have now settled on a slant.

I work in the City so may take a trip down there one lunchtime. I am now increasing my brush collection and only have eyes for Simpsons. Do you know whether Shervingtons stock Simpson brushes or any other retailer in London who does (not the rebranded more expensive GFT ones though).

Thanks Martin

Martin,
The slant is a great razor but it is aggressive and only recommended for those that already have a good shaving technique.

Martin,
The slant is a great razor but it is aggressive and only recommended for those that already have a good shaving technique.

My original post was back in September 2006 and since then I have developed a better technique although I'm sure it could be improved on. Also I would happily try any DE razor now as in my experience it was the blade choice that made the most difference and I now never use anything other than Gillette Swedes.

Another option is the small chemist on Picadilly near Fortnum and Mason.

Before Christmas I went down to Jermyn Street on a mission to find a 2-banded T3 and other Simpson brushes and to be honest I was left a bit disappointed. Admittedly I did go in my lunchbreak so I did not have time to take it all in but I did go to GFT who had their own rebranded Simpsons (at inflated prices) and TOBS had mainly Rooneys.

I did find that chemist it was on the corner of Piccadilly Arcade linking Jermyn Street and Piccadilly and is called A. Maitland & Co. They had a selection of their own branded Simpson brushs in the window (mainly CH's and PJ's) so I went in to find out prices. Being just before Christmas it was busy which translates to 3 customers inlcuding me but the shop is tiny inside and both members of staff were serving so I did not hang around.

What I did notice in the glass cabinet to the side of the counter, which may be of interest to UK buyers, was the Tabac soap in the bowl and a tube of Coates shaving cream (I recall it was the blue one which is almond if I remember correctly).

Top Bottom