What's new

Your thoughts on the Gillette Aristocrat?

Hmmm....someone just found a great deal on this one :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hmmm....someone just found a great deal on this one :)

proxy.php

proxy.php
LOL. Yes Brother Ken...I sure did! And thank you for providing me with this excellent addition to my small but growing collection. She's a real beauty! And you were very generous to part with it for what I'm going to call a brotherly price. Thanks, man, for the sweet Aristocrat!

LOL. Yes Brother Ken...I sure did! And thank you for providing me with this excellent addition to my small but growing collection. She's a real beauty! And you were very generous to part with it for what I'm going to call a brotherly price. Thanks, man, for the sweet Aristocrat!

Very nice, he told me that he had sold it to you. Although Ken is an is an ugly fat guy (we are identical twins), I think gave you a great deal (he made me swear in front of Ralph never to reveal the price).

Congrats on nice score.

your case comes with Dispenser. The set for your razor comes with the brass open bladeholder

Strange, my blade box isn't an open style. It has a top and bottom that comes apart. The bottom piece having a hole in the center of it (I presume to help push the blades out)

$Gillette Aristocrat blade case.jpg

Congrats R2B on your recently acquired Aristo. Geez if it is that easy to find a DE I should make a thread asking how the OC Aristocrats shave so I can finally buy one. The generosity on these shaving forums is very admirable.

Wow; I'm repeatedly blown away by the acts of generosity one sees around here.
Yes, in a world of "dog eat dog" this is very refreshing. As we return to old traditional shaving of our grandfathers, I think we also return to a older way of being...when men were gentlemen and acted as brothers, not competitors.

Yes, in a world of "dog eat dog" this is very refreshing. As we return to old traditional shaving of our grandfathers, I think we also return to a older way of being...when men were gentlemen and acted as brothers, not competitors.

Well truth is...this should be a forum of gentleman. And for me, passing on a razor that I no longer use to a forum member and a BOTOC brother for what I paid for it is just good karma....IMO....I don't think any of us should be looking to "gain" from our brothers here...

This forum has great members, with great pifs, great generosity, and a overall since of brotherhood....we all need to our part to keep that tradition alive and well on B&B!!

Well put!

I frequent this forum, and another (Fedora Lounge) not solely because of common interest, but also because nearly everyone on these premises treats one another with the same courtesy and consideration that would apply in face-to-face interactions. Which is how it should be.

But back to the topic...there's all kinds of reports about particular razors being mild or aggressive, with some median or modal responses that are probably useful guides, but I suspect it's hard to sort that out absent the missing ingredient, which is how you use it. Which can vary a good deal.

I use a more low-angle approach, and I only have one Aristocrat, an open-comb 1934 model. Overall, for me it's very similar in effectiveness to the 1947 Super Speeds I have, and the 1946 Milord, and identical to the Senator (think that's the exact same head in nickel) -- but the extra heft and the experience of shaving with something so beautiful make it special. It's one of my very favorite razors. I don't think you can eliminate the aesthetic aspects. The Aristocrats just look and feel so cool.

Hope you enjoy yours Retturn2Blades - it looks superb and the generosity of another member adds to its value.

..OK, one P.S.

I think there's this hard to define sweet spot for each razor. Having to do with how you hold it, the angle you use, how much pressure you apply, how careful you are about all that, plus probably some other things I'm not aware of. (Leaving out what blades you use!)

But when you find that spot, I really believe you can get good shaves with almost any decent razor. A lot of the differences in reports of "mildness" etc may have to do with willingness to adapt technique.

Last edited:
I find my 46-47 Gold US Aristocrat pretty aggressive compared to an English No 66 Aristocrat which I also use. What I like about the US version is the great knurling on the handle- you really feel you have a grip on the thing- it is very similar to a Fatboy adjustable in that way. I've seen quite a few in nearly unused condition- I think they were frequently presents to returning soldiers from WWII and many were put away as too good to use every day and are emerging now as the last of these soldiers, now at least in their mid 80s, pass away. They are very well designed and made razors and I'd recommend one to anyone. This is a great razor to have and use.

dtom, that's a very poignant image and thought.

My dad was of the WWII generation.
Ran a potash factory for war-critical materials in the California desert. Where I was born.
My uncle was a medic on Normandy beach on D-day.
He's never been able to talk about what he saw.
It affected him for every moment of the rest of his life.

I don't think I can look at the Aristocrats in quite the same way now.
Thanks for the perspective.

Last edited:
I have mint condition No 16 and No 20's.They are both great razors. Used the No 16 this morning with a feather blade. Very easy and smooth BBS. Love them.

Well put!

I frequent this forum, and another (Fedora Lounge) not solely because of common interest, but also because nearly everyone on these premises treats one another with the same courtesy and consideration that would apply in face-to-face interactions. Which is how it should be.

But back to the topic...there's all kinds of reports about particular razors being mild or aggressive, with some median or modal responses that are probably useful guides, but I suspect it's hard to sort that out absent the missing ingredient, which is how you use it. Which can vary a good deal.

I use a more low-angle approach, and I only have one Aristocrat, an open-comb 1934 model. Overall, for me it's very similar in effectiveness to the 1947 Super Speeds I have, and the 1946 Milord, and identical to the Senator (think that's the exact same head in nickel) -- but the extra heft and the experience of shaving with something so beautiful make it special. It's one of my very favorite razors. I don't think you can eliminate the aesthetic aspects. The Aristocrats just look and feel so cool.

Hope you enjoy yours Retturn2Blades - it looks superb and the generosity of another member adds to its value.

..OK, one P.S.

I think there's this hard to define sweet spot for each razor. Having to do with how you hold it, the angle you use, how much pressure you apply, how careful you are about all that, plus probably some other things I'm not aware of. (Leaving out what blades you use!)

But when you find that spot, I really believe you can get good shaves with almost any decent razor. A lot of the differences in reports of "mildness" etc may have to do with willingness to adapt technique.
Thanks for the post my friend. I am getting, more and more, the finesse part of shaving, which is so important in finding that sweet spot.

Top Bottom