What's new

What can one expect from WetShaving?

I am wondering what I should expect regarding a wetshave. I hear about BBS, and I like that idea.
I have come up with a routine that gives me great shaves with BBS skin for a few hours, but it involves using a preshave oil and a Mach 3 for my touch ups (last pass).

I have played around with a few variations and found:
1. A M3 shave no matter what cannot give me as good a shave as a DE. (The exfoliant factor I think.)
2. A DE does not get certain areas well at all (rear jawline and concave portions of the neck).
I use a hybrid as I mentioned.

So my question put another way:
1. What can I and should I expect? BBS
2. Does my technique that needs to be improved with a DE to be able to expect BBS?
3. Any other assistance is appreciated.

I believe the true BBS shaves will generally come about by double and triple pass (or more) shaves. WTG/XTG/ATG

I also think a case can be made that a lot of it will depend upon the type of razor and blade you use as well as your beard prep.

Technique gets better with practice - if you stick with one razor/blade combo long enough - your results get faster still due to your "knowing" your tools a bit better.

Welcome to the forums

What should you expect from wet shaving? A damn fine shave with little cost.

As some have said

You don't get the BBS the BBS gets you.

Some say the BBS is a bit overrated. Since well it lasts for less than a day

Sometimes you can just go razor crazy trying to get a BBS and cut or burn your face more.

I go for DFS (Damn Fine Shave) Sometimes i just have to put the razor down and shave another day, which I get a SAS (Socially Acceptable Shave)

If I get a BBS great. But I am not gonna shoot for it. I cam to wet shaving for 2 reasons.

1. It looked fun

2. It is cheaper.

Fun is the number reason why I started wet shaving. I hope I never forget it because then wet shaving will just become a chore.

Hope this gives some advice at least :)

What can you expect with wetshaving?

To go from shaving being a necessary evil to a hobby and a time you look forward to.

All of the above is good advice. Just relax and try to work on getting a DFS all over your face without cutting it, and working on your lather, and the BBS will come with time.

Enjoy your shave!

You can expect a much better shave experience, and turning shaving from a chore into something that you'll really like, and look forward to doing. :thumbup1:

Welcome. You can expect many things:

• a learning curve.
  • closer shaves.
  • at times at the start, some frustration.
  • an obsession about getting the perfect shave.
  • if you are married or "involved," some strange looks from that person in your life when you start talking about shaving, soaps, creams, etc.

You can expect more women from wet shaving. I felt like I was the guy in the Axe commercials the day after my first wet shave.

+++1 All of what these fine gentlemen have said!

- A return to tradition. Safety Razor/DE blade shaving was the standard for 70 years. There is something about heritage for me.
- A diligent, intentional, personal routine. I find that relaxing and invigorating.
- A comfortable, close shave. One of my greatest relevations was enjoying the development of technique and appreciation of a CCS or DFS, not always stressing/striving over BBS. That comes and is enjoyable but not my standard. You have to shave tomorrow any way!
- A satisfaction with good skin care, using quality products.
- A hobby/pastime/indulgence that is most pleasant and satisfying.
- A cost effective choice.
- A great community to be part of.

+++1 All of what these fine gentlemen have said!

- A return to tradition. Safety Razor/DE blade shaving was the standard for 70 years. There is something about heritage for me.
- A diligent, intentional, personal routine. I find that relaxing and invigorating.
- A comfortable, close shave. One of my greatest relevations was enjoying the development of technique and appreciation of a CCS or DFS, not always stressing/striving over BBS. That comes and is enjoyable but not my standard. You have to shave tomorrow any way!
- A satisfaction with good skin care, using quality products.
- A hobby/pastime/indulgence that is most pleasant and satisfying.
- A cost effective choice.
- A great community to be part of.

Very true!

Welcome. You can expect many things:

• a learning curve.
  • closer shaves.
  • at times at the start, some frustration.
  • an obsession about getting the perfect shave.
  • if you are married or "involved," some strange looks from that person in your life when you start talking about shaving, soaps, creams, etc.

This list sums it up nicely! Stick with the DE only and be patient. There is a learning curve, but it's all about the blade angle.

Greetings and Salutations. You can expect all of the above, and you will certainly enjoy the shave for a change.

Yes to everyone who mentioned it being enjoyable. I am with you there!

Thanks for the info on goals and technique. I can do a DFS easily. I'll work on technique to hopefully someday achieve a consistent BBS with a DE or maybe someday a SR.
You can expect to be broke! That is all.

Well broke and well-groomed...
I have already overdone my laughing at the people who say they wetshave to save money - Maybe on blades... but the pre-shave, soap/cream, brushes, razors, witch hazel/toner, and aftershave balm/splash, and other what-not... Especially in the beginning - No money saved there. I do believe that after you have a routine down it can be economical.

And I am SO with you on this one FaintlyM!!!
Sometimes I wish I could just "like" a reply, ala facebook. Because you guys are funny.

A DE does not get certain areas well at all (rear jawline and concave portions of the neck).
even in those very difficult areas you can get the same smoothness from your DE as you do anywhere else. keep working on your technique to get in there...it'll take a few months, but you'll get it.

It is only cheaper if you own 1 razor, 1 soap or cream and 1 decent brush. I've yet to meet a person on this site that has just 1 brush, soap/cream, and razor.

I DE shave because I get a nice shave, I enjoy shaving for the first time in my life, and I enjoy thinking about the decade of each razor I use (I own a 1905, 1917, 1922, 1930, 1948, 1955, and 1963 Gillette).

Welcome to B&B!

It is only cheaper if you own 1 razor, 1 soap or cream and 1 decent brush. I've yet to meet a person on this site that has just 1 brush, soap/cream, and razor.

I DE shave because I get a nice shave, I enjoy shaving for the first time in my life, and I enjoy thinking about the decade of each razor I use (I own a 1905, 1917, 1922, 1930, 1948, 1955, and 1963 Gillette).

Welcome to B&B!

They're in the minority, but believe it or not some people did come to save money and are saving money.

I still think I may break even later on because I don't expect to own 20 shave creams, but they last a lot longer than the store-bought ones so you really can save money even by splurging if you stop buying after you get a routine and stick to that.

Here's the thing.

I CAN actually get a BBS shave with a Mach 3 but only because I have learnt WHY based on my DE/wetshaving experience.

The initial conversion was due to cost, irritation and the boring chore of the shave.

Cost has escalated - I'm into feather blades, silver-tip brushes etc now and I've spent more in 12 months than I ever did on plastic razors. Funny thing is I know what I'm buying and I don't care.

Irritation - eliminated except for the odd "bump" but that's my beard/skin combo and I understand why. Funny thing is I can get a really good shave with a Mach 3 doing the opposite of what I used to do. Light touch/many passes vs pressure/single pass. That alone was the biggest learning.

Boredom - gone. Look forward to the morning shave and the interplay of blade, lather and brush.

Top Bottom