What's new

Anyone use just one?

I switched up from the Weishi nickel to a Merkur progress about 9 months ago and I use Derby Extra blades. I have a tub of T&H Grafton and a Tweezerman brush. I'll switch up on creams and aftershaves, but I am a one Razor, one brush, one blade fellow.

One brush (Mühle), one razor (1970 Super Speed). Never have used anything else, never will (unless one of them breaks).

I am still dating and will flirt around with different razors and blades and soaps before settling down. I did find a brush I really do like and will stick with it. I have vintage Gillettes and will settle down with either a slim or fatboy and save my birth year for birthdays. I like the OS soap, but it is not made any more. I am getting it off the bay. I buy mugs with soap. Blades, I have a sample pack to work through. I was sent some different blades with a purchase made and really do like the Gillette yellow pack, but have not used them enough to settle down with them.

Does anyone use just one? One razor, one brush, one type of blade, one soap/cream exclusively (or almost exclusively)?
Of course. Don't assume unpopular topic on a discussion forum site = never happens no matter what the topic.

Last edited:
For the past 3 years or so, I used only a Tweezerman, Merkur 34C and KmF Creams. That is up until January after a buddy of mine gave me a gift certrificate to WCS for my birthday... which led to me joining here...which led to me to ADs and somehow I managed to accumulate over a dozen brushes, a dozen soaps and half dozen razors in just a couple months!!!

As much as I appreciate minimalism-it did get a bit boring, and I think that shaving gear is hella cool to collect, and fun to try new products from around the world etc. I do find myself gravitating more to some products more than others, so I think I will eventually pare down if stuff is sitting unused on shelf. It's also fun to hunt and sell on BST, eBay etc.

...YMMV

At this point, I use Personna Blue "Lab" Super blades almost exclusively. They simply work the best for me in every razor I own.

I'm not a rabid razor collector, but I am a soap, cream, and fragrance whore.

The only thing I use one of is my razor: a Gillette Slim Adjustable, although I am keeping my eye out for a Fatboy Adjustable. I've got two blades that work equally well in it, Personna Reds and Gillette Yellows. I've got four brushes that I alternate between and a handful of soaps.

Institut Karite shaving soap for the last few (winter) months. When it warms up I'll primarily use Proraso/C.O. Bigelow.

One brand of straight razor mostly - Le Grelot, but I can't claim exclusivity yet. I'll have to sell a lot of razors to get to that point.

Still kinda noobish so I'm still sowing wild oats. Maybe I'll get "in a rut" around year 7.

Mostly but not entirely
Cella Soap
Simpson Col. X2l
Futur Razor
Feather Blades

I do use a number of other products, but these get about 90% of my use. Also, I have a Case Brush and a Progress Long handle that go on trips.

I only use one razor and I only keep one soap, brush, and aftershave out. All the rest are stored. I find doing this keeps things simpler and more enjoyable, and also makes things less cluttered.

I have been using Mitchell's Wool Fat and Italian Floid for the past few months, exclusively. That 400ml bottle is going a lot faster than I originally thought it would have.

I do rotate brushes around once a week. However, I have a collection of brushes that now seems too large (for me) and some of the brushes I own are not even part of the rotation and I don't use them.

Come to think of it...keep on eye on B/S/T this week....there will be several brushes and soaps for sale.

Heck no! Variety is what makes this type of shaving what it is and gathers us together. I gave up the TRAC II and Barbasol routine for good!

Considering I've only been DE shaving for about 2 weeks now, my set-up hasn't even had a chance to change yet! EJ89L, Astra SP, Van der Hagen soap and boar brush, and Bump Patrol as an after shave. Also use Real Shaving Company aftershave balm on alternating shaves.

I have gone through most of my experimentation and will try new things, but only when I run out of the soap or cream I am using. I don't go out of my way to plan out "rotations" and only use the one DE razor and one kind of blade.

Top Bottom