What's new

Possible defect in Joris Razor?

Hello all,

I received a Joris razor as a gift and it is a great looking razor. I do have some concerns about it and the alignment of the blade when inside. It seems that one side of the blade has significantly more exposure than the other. I've contacted the vendor and they are stating that it is a normal variation that is common to the product. Please let me know your opinions on this matter, because frankly I think it should be more precise given the high cost but I'm open to opinions on either side. Thanks

Attachments

• $P1020641.jpg
    $P1020641.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 157
  • $photo-5.jpg
    $photo-5.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 156
  • $P1020640.jpg
    $P1020640.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 157
As it happens, the Joris DE tour landed at my house three days ago, so I have a Joris in my possession right now. I just went and took a close look at it.

The one I have right now also seems to have more exposure on one side than on the other, but the discrepancy is not very large, and the razor seems to shave just fine. I quite enjoy it.

I am interested in hearing from Joris owners to see whether this is, indeed, a common thing and whether it has caused any problems.

I guess my big problem is the difference in blade angle from one side to the other that can be seen on the first picture. On one side the blade lies nearly flat against the comb, but on the other it lies off the comb at "straighter" angle. I am not the most experienced wet shaver, but this seems to be a significant difference that can cause different levels of aggressiveness from one side to the other.

The one I have right now also seems to have more exposure on one side than on the other, but the discrepancy is not very large, and the razor seems to shave just fine. I quite enjoy it.

I am interested in hearing from Joris owners to see whether this is, indeed, a common thing and whether it has caused any problems.
I've had a couple differnt Joris razors (with another on the way) and can tell you that the head caps tend to be less than perfect. That being said, it affects the aggressiveness and the shave not one bit. In spite of whatever defects this razor might have, it is still one of the better shavers out there.

I think many three piece sets have this problem. Are there pins that fit into holes on these models. Gillette had a slot that ran across the length of the plate which was a great design.

That is pretty bad. Some razors won't always align properly without some adjustments or a few attempts. But for $160.00, I would want effortless alignment every time.

I had the pleasure of being a Joris tour member, but was not impressed with fit and finish. As I wrote in the tour thread about my impressions, I found blade placement finicky and undesirable. When the head was snugged up, it would depress the center of the blade which in turn flared the corners of the blade upward. While sighting down the blade line, it was quite evident on both blade sides. The FaTip did the same, but only flared one corner per side. Both the Joris and FaTip had the evidence of plating aberration on top where the screw post profile showed through.

I do not mean to be ungrateful by any means, but I honestly get better shaves and dead nuts blade alignment from a $7 antique store bar handled New.

Last edited:
...I honestly get better shaves and dead nuts blade alignment from a $7 antique store bar handled New.

QC on those old Gillettes must have been outstanding; I agree with you that even a crappy looking bar-handled NEW is an absolutely precision shaving machine.

Top Bottom