What's new

Non gillette shaving worthy vintage DE razors.

I am pretty fond on my dutch Gladweg. It probably would be my go-to razor if I had a spare but now I only take it out for a spin on special occasions.

Interesting. Which model do you own? There are five on this website http://goo.gl/APv7p. What do you like about it. I hope that I run into one at some time in a antique shop. Being Dutch myself gives me a slight chance of that happening.

Interesting. Which model do you own? There are five on this website http://goo.gl/APv7p. What do you like about it. I hope that I run into one at some time in a antique shop. Being Dutch myself gives me a slight chance of that happening.

It is this razor but it came with a mismatched handle. I replaced it with one of Bob's handles that was given to me by michiganlover some time back. Now it is a slightly heavy and headheavy (it is the beafiest head I ever held) razor that strongly curves the blade. Awesome! It is probably from the 50-ies but it looks so much better made than my current Merkurs and even the Mühles are not as precisely casted. The wear and tear is minimal and it is, afaik, nickel plated brass; I suspect it to truly last forever.

I have been enjoying some great shaves from a Segal "Unitary" one-piece razor. Open comb, and you have to modify a standard blade to fit . . . but the shave is worth the trip!!

My vote goes to the Star:

full

My first thoughts a few years ago was that it shaves like a Tech. I just completed a weeks shaves with mine, and although it may not be the most aggressive shaver, it can shave quite closely with good technique.

-Clarke

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about any Leresche, the "gillette" of France.

Funny that you post this. Because yesterday I was reading this excellent thread http://goo.gl/cV75C. Which prompted me to start this thread. The Leresche OC is my dream razor at this moment :001_wub:.

eBay france is a good place to find a leresche. You just have to be prepared to open a lot of listings to see what's in them, because France seems to have more than their fair share of people who simply put 'ancien rasoir' in the title and description, with little else.

I have a few Leresches, they are pretty neat for collecting, but I find them a bit aggressive for me. A couple of things about buying from France:

1) For some reason, they don't like taking pictures, so many times, you are sort of going on luck.

2) Shipping can be a real deal killer.

-jim

+4 on the Krona...usually find those under $20 in excellent shape. They used a brushed steel head so the looks are not as easy to ding up. Great razor so much so I have two.

I want one of these!
Some of those razors that came in those antique leather grooming kits are actually pretty functional and cool looking. I found one, rusted and pitted but cleaned it up and it shaves like a dream. The bottom plate has an interesting safety bar/open tooth design kind of like the R41 (kind of, don't quote me) and it's made out of steel. These little razors get disregarded as well. It's good to keep an eye out.

Joost:

The Krona and Star are the only two mentioned I have tried of those recommended and I like them both. Good, solid no-nonsense shaves.

The Barbasol seem to get plenty of positive comments on B&B. I would love to own a Barbasol and a Leresche. They are both beautiful razors and appear to be very well built

Good luck with your search and enjoy your shaves.

Don

I use a Schick Krona, mild and not so big head. Easy under my nose. I also have a Matador, Swedish razor. Matador produced One with a plastic knob with settings, just like the Merkur Progress.

Last edited:
The Krona is one of the most underrated razors. If the handle was brass instead of plastic I think it would have been a lot more popular. The head geometry is just right and the length of the handle make it a very comfortable razor. The brushed steel of the head also looks cool. I think we need a poll of the most underrated non-gillette razors.

The Krona is one of the most underrated razors. If the handle was brass instead of plastic I think it would have been a lot more popular. The head geometry is just right and the length of the handle make it a very comfortable razor. The brushed steel of the head also looks cool. I think we need a poll of the most underrated non-gillette razors.

+1

I like the Clix.

How can I forget the Clix. I got one last month. I love it. Smooth razor with a different balance but similar shave to a Fat handle triangular slot Tech. One of my current favorites. The construction of the head is pretty solid.
Here's a pic of the model I have (it's not my pic though).
$clix-2.jpg

I really like my Segal, but you have to cut out standard blades. Kind of a pain but worth it. Very smooth, yet quite efficient. I think I will have to use mine in the morning now that I am thinking about it. It is a really nice heavy made machine, and I really like the way it opens.

I've tried a Krona, a Star, a Hospital (or maybe a Club - seem to be the same thing, and no markings to tell the difference) and a Doehler-Jarvis. Liked them all.

Top Bottom