What's new

Feather stainless and bleach

The Feather All Stainless is plated on the surface with chrome plating both head and handle over stainless steel to protect the finish. The stand is not plated with chrome, this is directly from the manufacturer. This is an added bonus of this razor.

The Feather All Stainless is plated on the surface with chrome plating both head and handle over stainless steel to protect the finish. The stand is not plated with chrome, this is directly from the manufacturer. This is an added bonus of this razor.

Welcome to B&B.

What is your source?

Welcome to B&B.

What is your source?

Mr. Tsuyoshi Ishiyama of the Feather Safety Razor Co., LTD is my source. Feather is very forthcoming with how they manufacturer product. This razor is of much higher quality because of the chrome plate imo. Also, if you look at base which is not plated you will notice it's a different finish.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mr. Tsuyoshi Ishiyama of the Feather Safety Razor Co., LTD is my source. Feather is very forthcoming with how they manufacturer product. This razor is of much higher quality because of the chrome plate imo. Also, if you look at base which is not plated you will notice it's a different finish.

The feather site says nothing of chrome plating "クロムメッキ". It does, however say that it has "ベロアメッキ" which may or may not refer to a plating, or a surface treatment to dull the surface. The base is different looking because it hasn't had that treatment. メッキ usually refers to a finish, ie. gold,silver, chrome.

Looking at my Feather I can see machine marks, casting marks and areas where that finish has worn off from contact between handle and head. Frankly I see no evidence of chrome plating. But you may be right if a feather rep told you it was "chrome plated"...because it very well may be :)

Last edited:
The feather site says nothing of chrome plating "クロムメッキ". It does, however say that it has "ベロアメッキ" which may or may not refer to a plating, or a surface treatment to dull the surface. The base is different looking because it hasn't had that treatment. メッキ usually refers to a finish, ie. gold,silver, chrome.

Looking at my Feather I can see machine marks, casting marks and areas where that finish has worn off from contact between handle and head. Frankly I see no evidence of chrome plating. But you may be right if a feather rep told you it was "chrome plated"...because it very well may be :)

I don't post often, but when I do it's correct....I assure you the razor and handle are chrome plated. The stand is strait stainless steel. How do you think the head says Feather. Ever here of black chrome and silver chrome.

I don't post often, but when I do it's correct....I assure you the razor and handle are chrome plated. The stand is strait stainless steel. How do you think the head says Feather. Ever here of black chrome and silver chrome.

You don't post ever except in this thread. Sure looks like satin or blasted stainless on the razor and polished stainless on the base. Ever hear of laser engraving?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Well if it is indeed chrome plated it drops down a few notches in my book...

I don't post often, but when I do it's correct....

$The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg

:ohmy:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Lol! To be honest the velour plating reference on the Japanese website does point to SOME kind of plating. The Artist Club RG has a similar finish, but that one is labled chrome plated, not velour plated. An email has been dispatched to feather for an explaination of what velour plating is exactly.

I happened to see my brass "tumbler" yesterday while looking through some packed boxes. If you want to send the razor, I'd be happy to put it in the brass cleaner to see how it works. It certainly shouldn't hurt anything as brass is far, far softer than any surface on the razor.

@ Insomniac LOLZ

On side note BKFST may be try putting in some type of metal harmed by bleach as the Feather was to see if your tumbler does the trick. Sort of recreate the event.

I'd try a gentle polish of some sort like Novus 2 or Pine-ola (or even cautious application of a more aggressive polish like Brasso or Flitz) with a toothbrush to scrub it around. A jewelers polishing wheel with a brush installed (rather than a wheel) and tripoli compound would certainly fix it and leave a decent matte finish that would almost pass for new, but you'd need to find a jeweler to go that route.

The tumbler will likely work well too, as long as you have abrasive compound on the media (walnut would be better than corn cob IMO) but only clean one part at a time, having all three going at once could cause more harm than good!!

good luck!

Last edited:

I have never laid hands on a Feather SS, but the pictures I have seen (pretty good detailed ones I might add) certainly look like the logo is etched into the metal surface and that the entire piece is sandblasted or etched to attain the final finish.... why in the world would you go to the trouble of matte chrome plating a solid stainless steel razor?

If it *was* chrome plated then the plating would be flaking off or bubbling up where it had been compromised, the pics the OP posted look like straight-up oxidation to me.

I'll not claim correctness here, just strong personal conviction and a good feel for how materials react ;)

Top Bottom