What's new

JORIS DE Tour Thread

Garyg, good to hear you liked the razor, I have been wondering. Nando seemed to prefer the Joris over the Fattip, what was your take?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Garyg, good to hear you liked the razor, I have been wondering. Nando seemed to prefer the Joris over the Fattip, what was your take?

Hey Collin, I enjoyed both razors. As noted I didn't use the Fat Tip this trip but use one on a regular basis. I get closer shaves from the Fattip. I think both are good, I didn't find the build quality of the Joris any better than the Fattip I already have, and my R99 was I think a $40 razor .. though the horn is beautiful

Guess what came in the mail today :drool: !
jpakstis where in this great commonwealth are you (yes, I'm just planning ahead)? Please send me a PM.

Last edited:
Last night I cleaned and sterilized the razors and this morning I was ready to go: I decided to try the Joris soap with the Joris Razor and to limit variables somewhat, I loaded in one of my Super Iridiums. In summary: best *first shave* I've ever gotten with a DE (and this is probably the 12th or so that I've tried). Usually it takes me a shave or three to 'get' a razor, but for whatever reason the Joris and I 'clicked' on the first try. I did four passes (WTG, XTG, GTX, ATG): zero nicks/cuts/weepers/burn. Best shave I've ever gotten with any razor under my chin - I never get BBS there; well, not until now. The next few days will be interesting to see how reproducible the results are. I will say that I haven't totally warmed up to the handle shape/texture - maybe with time. Today anyway, I wish the handle was more like my Ikon OSS. As others have mentioned the audible feedback is ever-present - which is a good thing IMHO.

Today's shave with the Joris was a quick two-pass affair (WTG, XTG). I swear it shaves so well because it gives so much audible feedback - you can hear when the angle's right and when it's not, so it's easy to adjust often: so it's right just about all the time. Tomorrow it's Fatip time! Procedural question: jpakstis is next on the list and lives within driving distance from me - any reason not to hand deliver the box at the end of the week instead of handing it to USPS?

Anyone every try the other Joris handle shape? I'm on the fence: I think I like the cylindrical shape better, but it's not textured:

$HR_401-110-00_joris_roundhandle_palladium.jpg

Nice reviews Jeff...My Joris is on its way :

Joris Palladium "Odyssey" Open Comb Safety Razor, Palisander Handle

Attachments

• $index.jpg
    $index.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 190
I received the box on Sunday. I already shaved once with the Joris and it has a great balance. The horn handle is very nice as well.

I used one of the Personna Med. blades that was in the box and paired with the Joris, it provided a DFS on 2 passes.

I recently purchased a Fatip and I feel the Joris is slightly less agressive.

Ill be able to get in a couple more shaves and make sure this ships to the next person on Saturday.

Wow, what a difference a handle makes. Today was shave #1 (2-pass, WTG, XTG) with the Muhle R41 Fatip. The shave result is very similar to the Joris (85-90%), but the experience was entirely different. Kind of like the difference between a Toyota and Lexus. The Toyota (Mühle) does everything you need, and will reliably get you to where you need to go. In the Lexus (Joris) you're more comfortable along the way, and your more in tune with the road due to the better suspension. The Joris handle (that I still don't like the shape of) appears to be the better suspension and the magic that makes the trip so enjoyable. The Joris handle is longer, wider (in the middle), narrower (at the ends), and much heavier. To me there's no contest: even though the heads are virtually identical, the Joris is the better performer by a decent margin. Tomorrow I'll shave 1/2 with the Joris and 1/2 with the Mühle...

If you've been reading along what I'm going to say today isn't going to surprise you:

Today I did another 2-pass shave with both razors. First pass has right side = Joris, left side = Muhle. Second pass was all Joris - another half pass with the Muhle wasn't going to change my mind. The Muhle R41 Fatip is nice. The Joris is nicer. For me. I'm ready to let this stuff go to the next person. I still haven't heard from texbilly about ok'ing a handoff, and jpakstis about where he is exactly. There's still time. Once I hear from them the box will be off...

I just got confirmation that shanman received the USPS Priority Mail package I sent (#23051590000070244824) in Jacksonville, FL at 1:46PM today.

I just got confirmation that shanman received the USPS Priority Mail package I sent (#23051590000070244824) in Jacksonville, FL at 1:46PM today.

Yep, here safe and sound. I'll load it up tomorrow and have at it. Nice batch of blades in this box!

I can see what all the hype is about, I just got my Joris (Ebay) today, all i can say is top of the line up in my rotation. I had the best shave ever. top player right now, followed by Barbasol, R41 2011, Toggle, slim........

When I arrived home last night there was a box waiting for me. I was not expecting such a large box, wow! First I dove into the box to get to the wonderful wooden box that contained the Joris, and pulled it out. Stunning! What a beautiful razor, the horn and the metal look so good! I then pulled out the Muhle, and it pales in camparison. I didn't give a thorough look, but the heads look the same, so I guess any percieved differences in the shaves can be down to the handles/weight.

I had a wonderful birthday shave this morning with the Joris. My standard daily shave is a two plus face, and whatever it takes to get the dome BBS(two plus today). This week I am using my Speick cream, I rotate soaps/creams on a weekly basis. I will note this and Musgo are my only creams, I am a stick guy.
Speick cream
Vulfix 404 Grosvenor mixed hair
PermaSharp Super
Speick Lotion

Very smooth razor. I used the PermaSharp because it is my favorite blade for open combs. During the shave all I could think was it was the perfect marriage of the Old Type, and the Goodwill. I love the Goodwill, but it is just not as efficient as the Old Type. I have been using a Futur almost exclusively for the past three months, because of its ruthless efficiency, so to me the Joris felt svelte. The handle is fantastic in looks and function. It fits nicely in my hand, the horn has a bit of friction, so I never felt as though it was wanting to leap from my hand.

Thank you Texbilly for starting this tour, and to Sullybob for lending his razor. I haven't forgot you Bong, I look forward to giving the Muhle a test drive as well.

Stay tuned, I will report on tomorrows shave, and maybe post a pic with the new camera the LOTH got me!

Finally got to have quality time for a focused shave.

Joris loaded with a fresh Schick + Plat.
Thäter 49125/2 with La Toja Sensitive cream.

The Joris is gorgeous, and much heavier than I imagined. The plating and detail are stellar, the tapered threaded cap is a nice touch and makes for the handle to index immediately and spin right on without fear of cross threading. Comparing the heads of the Joris and FaTip, I see the FaTip cap almost appears identical, but is actually not as thick as the Joris- at least between these two razors. I like the bulbous handle and grip was just fine without issue, but the length is a bit longer than I prefer. I like the three finger grip with the pinky under the butt of the razor handle, not very comfy to do with the Joris, I'll pay a bit more attention to the next shave and see if this becomes less of an issue for me.

I had a very close 2 pass DFS with one minor nick up under the nose. I feel the nick was due to the fact that the blade is unfortunately concaved when the blade is snugged down which makes the blade corners flare upward. I noticed this before the shave as I always inspect blade alignment when I try a new razor. Blade alignment itself was spot on with the Schick blade, edges running nice and parallel with the end of the combs. But, when sighting down the blade edge I could clearly see the center of the blade is dipped inward and both corners of the blade riding higher; both sides of the head were like this. I'll try a new blade next shave to see if this changes from brand to brand. The Joris is a notch under the 2011 Mühle R41 in terms of aggressiveness for me, which is a good thing. I kept feeling like I was going to get bitten any minute, but aside from the one spot under the nose, I was unscathed. The audible feedback is crazy, perhaps adding to the feeling of imminent blade anger coming my way. I look forward to the next shave, and wifey digs on the Creed sample!!

I'll give the Joris a second go, then try the FaTip twice for comparison, and off the box goes to the next in line.

When I arrived home last night there was a box waiting for me. I was not expecting such a large box, wow! First I dove into the box to get to the wonderful wooden box that contained the Joris, and pulled it out. Stunning! What a beautiful razor, the horn and the metal look so good! I then pulled out the Muhle, and it pales in camparison. I didn't give a thorough look, but the heads look the same, so I guess any percieved differences in the shaves can be down to the handles/weight.

I had a wonderful birthday shave this morning with the Joris. My standard daily shave is a two plus face, and whatever it takes to get the dome BBS(two plus today). This week I am using my Speick cream, I rotate soaps/creams on a weekly basis. I will note this and Musgo are my only creams, I am a stick guy.
Speick cream
Vulfix 404 Grosvenor mixed hair
PermaSharp Super
Speick Lotion

Very smooth razor. I used the PermaSharp because it is my favorite blade for open combs. During the shave all I could think was it was the perfect marriage of the Old Type, and the Goodwill. I love the Goodwill, but it is just not as efficient as the Old Type. I have been using a Futur almost exclusively for the past three months, because of its ruthless efficiency, so to me the Joris felt svelte. The handle is fantastic in looks and function. It fits nicely in my hand, the horn has a bit of friction, so I never felt as though it was wanting to leap from my hand.

Thank you Texbilly for starting this tour, and to Sullybob for lending his razor. I haven't forgot you Bong, I look forward to giving the Muhle a test drive as well.

Stay tuned, I will report on tomorrows shave, and maybe post a pic with the new camera the LOTH got me!

Im glad it arrived safe and sound. Enjoy!!

Top Bottom