What's new

Are straight razor users not that into brushes

Good evening gentlemen.

First of all, for any Mods that read this, please don't move it to the brush forum - I would like the straight users to read this!

I have a question for the group - is it my imagination or are most of the guys that are crazy about brushes (and that spend a LOT of time in the brush forum) DE users not straight shavers?

Opinions, comments, disagreements welcome!

Cheers

I've got 5 straights, haven't touched a DE in 4 months, haven't used a cart except on my head in 5 months.
I also have a Simpson Rover, Commodore, 57, and WhippedDog 24mm Silvertip as my regular rotation.
Have a Frank's Silvertip travel brush... and I still have my Jagger "best" cheapie.

I don't know about the majority, but I probably have close to 15 brushes. So I would say that it isn't true that straight razor shavers aren't into brushes. Those DE users have it easy. The prices people balk at for high end DE razors would rarely cause anyone to bat an eye over here, not to mention how much some of these hones go for. So maybe they have a bigger budget left over for brushes?

LOL!

Good point on the budget.

Of course, you CAN buy a perfectly acceptable new Dovo str8 for only a little more than an R41.

But of course, nobody will be satisfied with that.

I gots me 2 working brushes (omega boar and noname silvertip) and about a dozen straights. Guess it is just me, I use brushes to get the job done, never been interested in the finer points of brushes.

There's much more variety among straights than among DEs; once you know how a particular DE-blade combo feels, you explore different variables, such as brushes. Each straight feels different, though. Once you add the many methods of honing, there are myriad options to explore, and the choice of brush becomes less important a factor in the overall shave.

Legion

Staff member
I went through a brush restoration phase before my SR restorations kicked in. I just like restoring and using vintage stuff. I don't mind what it is. All my brushes except the wee Scot are vintage restores. And I have a number of them.

Not sure the exact count. I believe I have around 15 brushes (more at one time). I've been hit by SBAD before. In fact my other ADs tend to go through rotation phases. Straights for some reason, never dies down. Also, IMO, the razor has a bigger impact on the shave (for me at least) and I find more things to talk about here.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One never wants to paint with too broad a brush, but if required to answer I would have to say it appears what interests straight razor shavers most is arguing.

I think I have 10 brushes a few boar, mostly badger, from plain to fancy. Some I restored for kicks, a couple from B&B LE offerings.

I'm not at all into brushes. I have three - an Altesse, a Semogue 1438, and a Simpson Case. They're all middle to low end. I just don't see the point with brushes. Between the case and the semogue I'm covered. Now, I have about 14 straights and I think 6 DE's... Go figure.

Never was a brush collector. I have 3 brushed in rotation, an Omega boar, A Simpson Milk Churn and a custom done by BF. Really never saw the need for any more.

My budding SBAD died when I bought a $142.00 Thater and have never really came around to liking it. My $10.00 Target Shea Moisture and $44.00 EJ best badger brushes do everything I need and then some. If one of them ever disintergrate I'll replace them with another mid price brush, as I've never been gaga over them anyway.

Well, I have participated a bit in the brush making and restoration sub-forum. But lately HAD has been depleting my funds, and me hobby funds need shared across all my hobbies.

I have a couple blades to restore, and a couple brushes to finish as gifts, but the recipients of the brushes want more involvement in the process, so they need to visit.

Phil

Top Bottom