What's new

Non gillette shaving worthy vintage DE razors.

While I have some knowledge about which vintage DE razors are regarded as good shavers on here. Apart from the Gillette's. Merkur's and Rotbart's pop up into my mind.

But still there where so many DE razors made by many different companies all over the world through the decades. That there must be some great shavers among them.

This De razor database http://goo.gl/24MvI is large and contains many pictures and data. But there are offcourse no experiences shared about how these razors perform.

One aspect I am especially interested in is if there are non Gillette vintage razors that have automatic blade centering. Because I have read before that this is or was exclusive to Gillette's pretty much.

My DE experience until now is only with Gillette's but I am very interested to hear about other DE razors.

I had at one time three of the Kronas' and can say they are wonderful to shave with. They may look a little odd but are easy to handle. If your after something a "little different" while not super old and not really talked about on the site you could (please dont hate me for this) try a LUX razor. Polish or some Eastern Block country. A Tech clone but with a stainless handle. I found that I got great shaves with a Derby blade. Pop up on E-bay now and again and only for a few quid.

Most of them are shaveworthy.
Most of those are fantastic for somebody.

Automatic blade centering sounds like a marketing gimmick. If it has 3 studs that align with 3 holes, with quality manufacturing, it is hard to imagine anything more automatic than that.

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting to see all three repliers recommend the Schick Krona. Now it is certainly on my to get list. A shame there is not a Wilkinson Sword variant of it.

The Lux look very nice, does it have automatic blade centering like the Gillette Tech does?

There is a Wilkie DE out there, the "Sticky" and it is pretty rare. There are also current, or near current production Wilkie DEs out there.

Automatic blade centering sounds like a marketing gimmick. If it has 3 studs that align with 3 holes, with quality manufacturing, it is hard to imagine anything more automatic than that.

I think I once read that pre-Tech Gillette's did not center the blade automatically. Although my Gillette New certainly does. My Yuma razor which is in production now does not center automatically. It is a very cheap razor. But it does have the three studs on the top plate design.

Nah the LUX has the studs to locate the blade. I've never had any issues with blade exposure though. AS for the Wilkinson Stickie, my personnal holy grail, with case.

Funny that you post this. Because yesterday I was reading this excellent thread http://goo.gl/cV75C. Which prompted me to start this thread. The Leresche OC is my dream razor at this moment :001_wub:.

Enjoy.........

Attachments

• $IMG_2045.jpg
    $IMG_2045.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 502
eBay france is a good place to find a leresche. You just have to be prepared to open a lot of listings to see what's in them, because France seems to have more than their fair share of people who simply put 'ancien rasoir' in the title and description, with little else.

My Probak gives me consistent close and comfortable shaves. It and my Canadian Goodwill(with a Probak handle) are the two most commonly reached for DE razors in my collection.

eBay france is a good place to find a leresche. You just have to be prepared to open a lot of listings to see what's in them, because France seems to have more than their fair share of people who simply put 'ancien rasoir' in the title and description, with little else.

I totally agree, you have to look through a lot of razors both DE and Straights to find what you want and then very often they don't offer shipping outside France. So you end up contacting the vendor to see if they will ship it to you. I was lucky to find mine on ebay UK it was sold by a collector selling his stock off so it came complete with original blades and instructions. Also there are various models some have aluminium handles and do not have the balance of the one I have. i have to say it is a good razor it shaves similar to a Gillette New.

I have a Mulcuto slant (although I like the term Schrägschnitt, it flows easier off the tongue). Not a bad little razor at all.

I'd like to add a French OC to the den someday.

I am pretty fond on my dutch Gladweg. It probably would be my go-to razor if I had a spare but now I only take it out for a spin on special occasions.

Top Bottom