What's new

Pre-Shave Oil issue.

So I've just gotten into wet shaving in the past three months. Things have been going well and the Feather AS-D1 with Astra SP seems to be a good combination for me. However I tried some AOS pre-shave oil from 2003, I bought it then without a true understanding of how to use it and I never thought much about it until now. I used it this weekend, and it did seem to work well for minimizing irritation, but it gunked up the razor and blade pretty bad. I only had 36 hours of growth, however the blade had stubble caked onto it after the shave. I cannot use this daily if it is going to cake up every shave, it won't rinse off with just hot water from the faucet, I had to wipe all parts of the blade and razor head. Is this normal? Are there better pre-shave oils? Is there any way to avoid this? Is the oil just too old? Other info: Beard growth--moderate to heavy, Cream--TOBS Lavender, Frequency of shaving 6-7 times per week. Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated.

I've used AOS pre-shave oil with TOBS Avocado and a Merkur 38C and didn't seem to get much caking. To the extent that the razor/blade got "gunked-up" while shaving, it was easily rinsed out with water. I'm newer to DE shaving than you (2 months) but have read that sometimes the cause is not using enough water with the shaving cream. I have noticed that the AOS pre-shave oil is very thick... thicker than my other pre-shave oil (which is just jojoba oil).

I have tried several preshave oils. I have never had any clog up a razor. I have heard positive things about the AOS preshave so I'm guessing something isn't right. If it looks good and smells okay I think I would try shaking it up and then heating it up a bit. Maybe if something is acting as a gumming up agent from settling or sitting so long you can bring it back to the state it was when you orginally bought it.

How much did you use? And if the answer is more than 4 drops, that's your problem right there.

Well I did use more than 4 drops, the stuff just pours out, and there were no instructions on amount to use. Are we talking medicine dropper sized drops? If so, that bottle will last a long time. I will use less in the morning and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I posted about this recently. Use a little, just a couple of drops, and rub it in well. Your face should not be glossy.

Dennis, I found your thread link to be helpful as well as Chris's comment and the others. I personally don't use oil but I love proraso preshave. This is more of a thick lotion and it, along with hot water, preps my beard beautifully. Plus I expect the 500 mL tub to last at least 3 years and perhaps longer

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Dennis, I found your thread link to be helpful as well as Chris's comment and the others. I personally don't use oil but I love proraso preshave. This is more of a thick lotion and it, along with hot water, preps my beard beautifully. Plus I expect the 500 mL tub to last at least 3 years and perhaps longer

While I'm not a fan of Proraso shave cream, I have found that the pre really works well. I would highly recommend it for those considering a pre-shave option.

I was using a preshave cream, and then read somewhere here that preshaves prevented the lather from doing it's job. I stopped, and haven't missed it. I just began taking more time to let the lather work.
I do hate gunk on the razor. JMO.

As Chris above said, if you use more than a few drops you are using too much.

AOS pre-shave oil is thick to start with. I use either my own recipe or T&H. Pre shave oil is designed to give your skin an added layer of protection prior to apply a shaving soap or cream lather. The additional benefits of pre-shave oil are that it moisturizes the skin and protects your skin from razor burn or irritation. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. Some find it helpful and some don't. For me, it has resulted in a better, closer shave without irritation.

Well just finished the morning shave with the same set-up, and I only used four drops of the AOS pre-shave oil. The result was SUBSTANTIALLY less stubble remnants on the razor and blade. I change blades and clean the razor every three shaves, so this won't be an issue at all. At this lower concentration, it still seems to lessen irritation. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah....a little goes a long way. 2003?? its pushing 10 years old but that shouldn't matter with an oil. T&H also makes a great preshave oil... wish it was in a glass bottle though.

I stopped using oils because they gunked up my brushes. Getting the oil out of fine silver tip badger was a chore. It also seemed counter-intuitive to me to put an oil barrier between my skin and the water based moisture of a soap or cream lather. As Tkocloser mentioned, the Proraso pre-shave works very well.

Well I did use more than 4 drops, the stuff just pours out, and there were no instructions on amount to use. Are we talking medicine dropper sized drops? If so, that bottle will last a long time. I will use less in the morning and see if it makes a difference.

Yes, medicine dropper sized drops.

I use 2 - 3 drops in one palm, wet the other palm under the faucet, then rub both hands together before applying to my face. I message it in really well. To the point where there is no residue on my face. It's just soft. My razor and brush never gunk up :)

I pour an amount into my flat palm that is equivalent to the size of a dime. Both my face and hands are very wet. Never had gunking issues.

I stopped using oils because they gunked up my brushes. Getting the oil out of fine silver tip badger was a chore. It also seemed counter-intuitive to me to put an oil barrier between my skin and the water based moisture of a soap or cream lather. As Tkocloser mentioned, the Proraso pre-shave works very well.

Same experience here. Found that the oil caused brush hairs to clump together, making lathering difficult.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Same experience here. Found that the oil caused brush hairs to clump together, making lathering difficult.

Perhaps you should try reading the tips in this thread. As myself and others have pointed out, when properly applied PSO will not gunk anything up. I have more brush problems with soap scum from my premium shave soaps than I ever had with a PSO. I occasionally clean my brush with a little shampoo, problem solved and I am not even using PSO currently.

I am always amazed at how frequently someone brings up the oil and water argument. Maybe you should read the wiki, which another member posted a link to above. Shave soap and/or cream changes the whole water & oil relationship. I'm not going to get into the molecular chemistry of it all, as it has been done many times already. If you have oil on your hands it washes off with soap and, get this, water. That's right, water will remove oil when it is part of a soapy solution.

From what I understand PSO does more to set up a barrier to contain water already in the skin than anything. Some recipes may help soften whiskers or even provide a little better glide for the razor, but beard prep and skin protection are the primary reasons for using a pre-shave. For some people it is very helpful.

I get the feeling that some people think PSO is like using training wheels and if they can shave without it, then they have arrived and if anyone is still using PSO then there is something wrong with their technique. I can assure you that there is a legitimate place for PSO in some peoples' repertoire. It is not a badge of honor to boast that you don't need it or that it is an unnecessary useless product. For those that find it helpful it can make a huge difference in the shave results and post shave comfort.

American Crew makes a very respectable pre-shave oil. When I first started DE I was using American Crew PSO with Anthony Logistics Unscented Shave Cream. I never had any gunk issues and I used a dime-sized drop, massaged into my face then the SC on top. Rinsed with hot water and everything was fine. I have a coworker whose facial hair grows at about the pace of English Ivy and I am PIFing him my remaining American Crew PSO. He is a Gilette Mach3 disciple, although I would LOVE to get him into the DE camp.

I know this is the case for me and I would wager it's the same for others, but I am just mortified at the thought of the PSO messing up the bristles of my expensive and treasured shave brush. As someone said above some pet shampoo can take care of it and return it to fighting form, and that's fine. But if I don't have to take the chance and my SC/SS combo is working perfectly fine, then I would rather not risk it.

I used to swear by the pre-shave oil but since I learned how to properly lather (face lather) it's not needed. I used to use the Truefitt & Hill oil and I tried the AOS version but it was too thick and oily.

Top Bottom