What's new

Are Simpson Chubby brushes worth the money?

I would go with a Rooney Heritage XL. Gel-like tips and yet to hear anyone say they aren't worth $150-190. Anytime I see them resold here in the BST, they bring 90% resale value and are always sold within an hour, sometimes even minutes.

They certainly are great brushes (IMHO) but as to whether they are "worth the money"......... everyone will need to decide for themselves.

I had a Chubby 1 two-band that I sold during a tough time. I missed it enough that when I could I bought another, they are worth the money to me.

I have Chubby 1,2, and 3 in Super. 1 is practical, good for daily use. 2 is just about perfect. And 3 is like an antique car that you only drive in parades.

My .02 worth is that it really depends on what you do. For face lathering soap, I think the brush is a no go, bu that is just me. It does work great for bowl lathering cream however, I just rarely do that. I am hanging on to my CH2 for now, but in hindsight, probably would not have got it since I face lather soap 90% of the time.

As someone mentioned, you do get a lot of badger hair for the money though! Über dense.....

My .02 worth is that it really depends on what you do. For face lathering soap, I think the brush is a no go, bu that is just me. It does work great for bowl lathering cream however, I just rarely do that. I am hanging on to my CH2 for now, but in hindsight, probably would not have got it since I face lather soap 90% of the time.

As someone mentioned, you do get a lot of badger hair for the money though! Über dense.....

Really? If anything I think the chubby wouldn't be as good for bowl lathering and would be much better for face lathering. I only face lather with mine and it works wonders :001_wub:

It doesn't have enough backbone to get the lather out when face lathering for me given how dense it is. Denser brushes need more stiffness in my experience.

It doesn't have enough backbone to get the lather out when face lathering for me given how dense it is. Denser brushes need more stiffness in my experience.

This perplexes me. I find that the denser the brush the more backbone, especially at shorter lofts.

DUnno. Seems very spongy with all the dense super soft hair. I think I would probably like it better in Pure Badger. It needs more loft as is to give flow in my estimation.

I love the CH1 range - I have a two band, three band and one in best. They are definitely worth the coin for me. That being said, the Chubby range isn't for everybody. They can be tricky to lather due to their extreme density (except for the two band - not very dense) and the handle is rather stocky.

I think the Simpson Chubbies are absolutely worth the $. The Chubby1 is too small for my hands but my Chubby2 and 3 are my favorites along with my Rooney Heritage Stubby2XL and 3XL's. All of these brushes are among the best ever made,IMO.
Craig

I personally would not buy a chubby. I have a Duke 3 and for the a while I thought it a lather hog....ok I kinda still do. Anything more dense would be a too much for me. I really like my Duke and I've learned to give it the soap it craves and it pays me back with a wonderful shave. I would never sell my Duke and I believe it may last me a lifetime. If you don't like any Simpson brush, you can always sell it.

I'll give you my opinion in a few weeks - I've got a Chubby 2 in Super coming my way! *squeal*

The only silvertip I've tried is my Omega Stripey, and I'm keen to see how the Chubby works with bowl lathering creams and face lathering soaps. The Chubby 2 in best gets rave reviews for face lathering soaps, and I'm hoping the less-scrubby version will also do well with creams.

If it does, it could be the brush that replaces both the Omega and my Semogue boar in one fell swoop (or one fell pass).

Top Bottom